am i doing something wrong?

Options
been to gym now for about 2 months and been on 5:2 diet for 3wks (next Monday)
i have lost 6lbs from being on the 5:2 diet but ive only lost about 1inch on hips, 1.5 inches waist, nothing on arms/legs
i was wondering if this is normal or am i doing something wrong

Am at the gym around 1hr 30mins Cardio
treadmill 20-40mins calories 250-570
matrix stepper 10mins calories 100-200
bike 15mins calories 100-150
Cross Trainers 15 mins calories 150-200
Vibration Plate 10 mins

it also takes me 20mins to get to gym and 20 mins back on bike

any advise would be great

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The only thing you're doing wrong is being impatient and having unrealistic expectations.

With the amount of weight you have to lose, per your ticker, a rate of 1/2 a pound per week is healthy/realistic and you're right on track with that, if not doing slightly better.

As far as inches lost, where that happens has to do with genetics and body type. While many programs say "do this and lose inches off your butt and thighs", it doesn't actually work that way. Your body stores fat wherever it wants and the places you havent' lost are probably your "problem" areas that you'll see a reduction in last. I personally store mine more in my stomach, upper arms and thighs - they'll be bigger as long as I'm carring around excess fat. One of my best friends is more of a pear shape so her rear and thighs are bigger. It's just how we're built.

The only thing I'd add to your routine is some strength training. While cardio is good for your health and good for burning calories, it won't do much for firming you up which, from that you said, is more what you're looking for.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Food wise and water wise looking at your diary seems good. Do you weigh all of your food though? If not maybe you are going over without realizing it? Also I know I have read on different topics that you need to add in resistance training, lifting weights (I am starting out using the machines at my gym before going to the free weights) And that's awesome that you are losing inches too, you may see that lower first rather then the weight itself.

Plus you don't have much to lose from what your ticker says so it may take a bit longer too. Good luck!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Skip the vibro plate they do nothing. Its 10mins of your life you're wasting on it. You don't have much to lose from your ticker. So 5lb at just over 0.5 a wk for 8wks. I'd say you're pretty much bang on target. Look into doing strength training/lifting for changes in body composition. This will give you what you're looking for rather than pure cardio.
  • GemmaDillySkilly
    GemmaDillySkilly Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    thanks i dont know where to start with weights, i think thats why ive never tried them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    thanks i dont know where to start with weights, i think thats why ive never tried them.

so educate yourself. You won't learn any other way.

Starting Strenght
    Strong lifts
    New Rules of lifting
    Strong curves.

everyone starts somewhere and there is literally a gold mind of information on the great wide interwebz.

you can do it.

don't be in a hurry- it takes longer to lose when you have less to lose (meaning if you are 200 lbs over weight- you lose quickly) if you only have 2 lbs to lose- it's harder to lose it.

takes consistency and patience.

and also getting off the vib plate- it's useless- you'd have more fun and burn more calories if you play with vibrating toys at home.