High Protein On-The-Go Snack Ideas

Options
MrsGreco
MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
Hey guys!

I'm looking for a little help in snack ideas. My trainer says I need to eat an AM (10am) & PM (3PM) Snack that includes protein and a complex carb. I'm very active...always on the go. I need ideas of snacks (pre-made or no prep) that I can buy at the store. Preferable lower in fat/sugar. Any ideas??

Thanks <3 Amanda

Edit: Looking for snacks that contain 15-25g of protein if possible. :smile:

Replies

• SBlue111
    SBlue111 Posts: 2
    Options
    How about a small shake? I used to have the same problem, I needed a quick protein snack. I made my own protein bars but it was very time consuming. I switched to small shakes. I just mix 25g of protein powder with 100ml of non fat milk. The result is kind of a soft Jello Pudding. :)
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt.
  • Deb_622
    Deb_622 Posts: 694
    Options
    I started making "protein pancakes" which are really good - especially if you warm them up for ~20 seconds in the microwave

1/4c instant oatmeal
    2 egg whites
    1 scoop protein powder (I use GNC Lean Shake 25 vanilla)
    1/2 mashed banana
    vanilla extract - cinnamon (have done with and without these...didn't notice a difference)
    mix everything and fry like a pancake

I usually double the recipe (one single serve pouch of Quaker instant oatmeal is just under 1/2 cup, so I use that)...and it makes about 4 good size pancakes - I also add blueberries and sometimes raspberries and its very good

1 pancake has 132 calories, 19 carbs, 2 g fat, 11 g protein, 140 sodium and 5 sugar (derived from creating a recipe on MFP with all ingredients...including blueberries and raspberries)...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Seapoint Farms dry roasted edamame has 14g protein per 30g serving (about 1/4 cup). Only 9 carbs though.
  • MrsGreco
    Options
    Seapoint Farms dry roasted edamame has 14g protein per 30g serving (about 1/4 cup). Only 9 carbs though.

I'll have to try those! Sounds yummy. Thank you.

-I have the flavored greek yogurt singles. They are okay when I'm in a bind but the plain I just cannot stomach. Not sure if its the taste or texture. I just have a hard time with yogurt lol
  • MrsGreco
    Options
    I started making "protein pancakes" which are really good - especially if you warm them up for ~20 seconds in the microwave

1/4c instant oatmeal
    2 egg whites
    1/2 mashed banana
    vanilla extract - cinnamon (have done with and without these...didn't notice a difference)

I usually double the recipe (one single serve pouch of Quaker instant oatmeal is just under 1/2 cup, so I use that)...and it makes about 4 good size pancakes - I also add blueberries and sometimes raspberries and its very good

1 pancake has 132 calories, 19 carbs, 2 g fat, 11 g protein, 140 sodium and 5 sugar (derived from creating a recipe on MFP with all ingredients...including blueberries and raspberries)...

Whoa! Sounds great!! Thank you. I'll try these for breakfast sometime.
  • MJ0214
    MJ0214 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

1/4c instant oatmeal
    2 egg whites
    1/2 mashed banana

Thank you so much for this recipe!!
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I take a pouch of tuna and an apple/pear/ or banana with me :)
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Quest bar? They are pricey but sooo good. I bring one to work almost every day.

Edit: You will have to check them out, as I don't know the nutritional info offhand. But 20 (21?)g of protein, that's why I eat them.
  • dmarsh1018
    dmarsh1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    beef jerkey! or protein bars...
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I roast my own edamame and bring that with a roasted skinless/boneless chicken breast
    A can of tuna drained with hummus or vinegar mixed in.

Edited - sorry didn't see the buy at a store :(
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein bars, lunch meat and cheese, chicken breast (cook ahead of time and either eat cold or reheat)
  • bec_232
    bec_232 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars are very high protein. The cookie dough and the cookies and cream bars are awesome.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :-)