Do you count calories or ...?

Options
Hi all,

Do you count calories or calculate your macro/micro nutrition requirements? I know some people just focus on eating clean and healthy. I've lost more than 50 lbs so far and I want to lose 60 more but I'm stuck now.

I want to eat clean taking my nutirition requirements into consideration (introducing more protein, like - 100 grams carbs, 120 grams protein and 40-50 grams fats) But I don't know if this is the best way. The problem is that I'm becoming really obsessed with calculations - calories, grams, protein... This puts stress on me.

Without counting calories, is it possible to lose weight just following a "clean diet"? I'm afraid of overeating.

I appreciate all your help.

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
    I was stuck. after I joined here, this is the ONLY time I ever counted calories, weighed stuff, then I lost the last 35 lbs and have been under my goal weight for over a year now. sooooooooo... I count calories.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I do a bit of both? I count calories, but I make sure to always hit my protein goal. The rest falls into place.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is all about a calorie deficit.

Eat whatever way you find works for you.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Calories are the key. You can have your macro ratio's correct but be way over on your calories. If you're hitting your calorie goals you can adjust your macros within the calorie limits.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    I do a bit of both? I count calories, but I make sure to always hit my protein goal. The rest falls into place.

This. I count the calories, but as far as macros I focus on protein. The rest takes care of itself.
  • AthenasWiseOwl
    Options
    Calories are the key. You can have your macro ratio's correct but be way over on your calories. If you're hitting your calorie goals you can adjust your macros within the calorie limits.
    This. I count the calories, but as far as macros I focus on protein. The rest takes care of itself.

How much protein do you consume a day? My daily protein goal is 120 grams but I don't know if it's too much protein.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I count calories and keep an eye on macros. I tend to plan out my dinner ahead of time, so can adjust snacks and portions if I need more of something.
  • _elkahallick_
    Options
    I always plan one day ahead... I am very strict with hitting my numbers and I couldn't be happier... at first you eat a lot of the same things over and over, but eventually you find new things to hit your macros....
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

How much protein do you consume a day? My daily protein goal is 120 grams but I don't know if it's too much protein.

Mine is set at 120, but I view it as a minimum. I regularly go over that. Somewhere around 0.8 to 1g per pound of lean body mass is about right.
  • SummerRain43
    Options
    I count calories and I try to eat all my protein but it is very hard.....it's definitely not hard to hit and go above my carbs though....sigh....sometimes I have about 600-700 calories left for the day and my carbs are already maxed out....but I do try...
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    I try to focus on macros because when I hit those, my calorie goals fall into place.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I count calories. I try to eat 20% protein but rarely get that much. Usually I'm in the 15-18% range.

No one knows what you mean by eating clean, by the way. The term has a million definitions on these forums and in the world.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options

That depends on what you do. Are you working out a lot and lifting weights? If so your protein needs will be higher.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Do you count calories or calculate your macro/micro nutrition requirements? I know some people just focus on eating clean and healthy. I've lost more than 50 lbs so far and I want to lose 60 more but I'm stuck now.

I want to eat clean taking my nutirition requirements into consideration (introducing more protein, like - 100 grams carbs, 120 grams protein and 40-50 grams fats) But I don't know if this is the best way. The problem is that I'm becoming really obsessed with calculations - calories, grams, protein... This puts stress on me.

Without counting calories, is it possible to lose weight just following a "clean diet"? I'm afraid of overeating.

I appreciate all your help.

I'm on the eating clean spectrum so am more concerned with my macro/micro nutrients than calories. Eating clean does not guarantee you will lose weight but some find it makes losing weight easier. If you are concerned with the numbers stressing you, there are cues you can use for recommended serving sizes like a deck of cards for meat, a tennis ball for potatoes and small starch portions, 2 - 3 CDs for sandwich meats and sliced cheese. You can also use the plate method (Google it) to help with portion control. Some also use individually packaged foods to help with portion control and some foods like fruits are already portion controlled if you eat just one or half of one. with fruit just determine the difference between large, medium and small. Portion control won't be as accurate as tracking calories but if you stay within those serving sizes faithfully, you should lose weight especially if you add in exercise and increase your general activity. You won't have an actual number for your deficit but as long as you are losing weight, don't worry about it.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I am working on eating cleaner, but I still count calories. Just can't seem to let go of that after 10 years. But, because I'm eating healthier foods, more protein, and more healthy fats, I find that I can go over my calorie goal and still lose weight.

I have also been working on lowering my carbs, and upping my protein and healthy fats. Right now, I try for at least 30g of protein at each meal. Once I get in the swing of that, I will look at switching out some of my current snacks for ones higher in protein. I've learned over the years to make small changes, gradually over time. If not, I feel overwhelmed and start stalling on my weight loss and letting the higher calories foods take over my daily eating plan.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I do both. It's totally possible to overeat eating clean, but many find that when they eat clean (or LCHF), that they're naturally satiated more easily, so they don't end up feeling the need to count calories. Things like broccoli and cauliflower (and most fibrous vegetables) are just really filling. But if you're eating a lot of nuts or calorie dense things like that, it's easy to overeat "clean".

For me personally, I like the numbers so I count to make sure that I'm not going over (and I'm maintaining a rather large deficit). I aim for 0.7 g of protein per lb body weight (or 1 g per lb lean body mass) - which ends up being around 130 g for me. I also aim to keep my carbs under 100 g and ideally in the 50-80 g range on average. But, I restrict the carbs because I have insulin resistance. Just maintaining a caloric deficit without the carb restriction doesn't work for me (and I'm crazy hungry) because of the faulty insulin/glucose metabolism issue. If you find that you're still quite hungry on your calorie number (and you're carefully tracking), you might want to consider restricting carbs as well -- I'm much more satiated with higher fat and moderate protein.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Both:

Protein minimum
    Fat minimum

The rest, to my calorie limit, can be carbs or more protein/fat.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    this. I count everything and make sure to hit that protein first.. then fat.. then fill the rest with delicious carbs.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I count macros and make sure my percentages are on, but I also try to make sure I'm hitting calorie goals.

Got to have a 70% intake of fat. Its tricky!
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I always plan one day ahead... I am very strict with hitting my numbers and I couldn't be happier... at first you eat a lot of the same things over and over, but eventually you find new things to hit your macros....

^^^This!

I do and have been doing this for years.