Stevia?

Options
Just looking for some input. I have been using stevia in the raw to sweeten my hot green tea in the morning. What do you all think and/or know about the benefits and disadvantages of using stevia?

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Benefits and disadvantages are purely personal.

Benefits for me:
    It could be an aspartame substitute when I've had my limit (I get headaches if I ingest too much).
    It stores nicely.

Disadvantages:
    I don't like the flavor of it.
    It's more expensive than other sweeteners I normally use.

It doesn't have any magical health benefits.
    It can replace some sugar calories and could in turn aid in maintaining a calorie deficit for weight loss.

Edit: accidental press of the quote button instead of the reply button
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I use it purely to help cut out some of my sugar intake which in turn cuts my calories down. I LOVE sweet stuff so I find that it helps a LOT! I actually find I prefer the taste of it in my tea or coffee over real sugar now so I personally consider that a benefit :smile:
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    The only real benefit that I know of is that it looks really pretty growing in my yard.
    Once I figure out how to use it, it will be an even better benefit.
  • OBXbound4me
    OBXbound4me Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Love it. All I use in coffee and tea and have heard no crazy side effects reported as of yet. More expensive but woth it to me. It is also starting to be sold in store brands now so that will cut the cost.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, it has a better reputation than other sweeteners. It can be expensive though, depending on where you buy it, how much you get, and in what form.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yep it's all I use. Or Truvia.