Which "diet" works????

Options
So lets see, I've tried Weight Watchers, Atkins, Whole 30, Paleo, nutritionists balanced meal plan, Gluten Free, Wheat Belly and here I sit down 6 lbs in over a year!!!! My will power STILL sucks, I STILL eat crap when I know it is only going to make me feel like crap and the only thing I am doing different is I am actually working out a couple of times a week which I have never been good at. So....I guess there is no "diet" that works for me. My problem isn't really food - it's willpower and ambition. If I get my butt up and I exercise in the morning before anything else, I seem to have success, if I am lazy and hit the snooze a couple times and say I will work out later...I usually don't work out or only get half the workouts in a week that I need to. I'm frustrated! Time to just eat whole foods and exercise. No sugar & processed crap. I may even give up my coffee (God I love my coffee with sugar and half and half!).

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Two words.

Caloric Deficit.

It's seriously so much easier than people make it out to be.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The 'eat at a moderate calorie deficit' works well. Can't beat good ole' calorie counting. Eat all the foods, fit it into your calorie goal, lose weight, WIN!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    To explain it short and sweet,

Calories in > calories out = Weight gain
    Calories in < Calories out = Weight loss
    Calories in = Calories out = Maintenance

You can eat any type of food. Just don't eat truck loads of it. ((I drink a cup of coffee every day with half n half AND flavored creamer AND a packet of hot cocoa powder.))

Here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants&page=7#posts-19455593
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    The caloric deficit diet.
    The 'eat at a moderate calorie deficit' works well. Can't beat good ole' calorie counting. Eat all the foods, fit it into your calorie goal, lose weight, WIN!
    To explain it short and sweet,

Calories in > calories out = Weight gain
    Calories in < Calories out = Weight loss
    Calories in = Calories out = Maintenance

You can eat any type of food. Just don't eat truck loads of it. ((I drink a cup of coffee every day with half n half AND flavored creamer AND a packet of hot cocoa powder.))

Here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants&page=7#posts-19455593

all.
    of.
    this.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is stop thinking about this as if it is a diet. It is a lifestyle change where you mostly eat healthy and exercise and indulge only occasionally. Try not to cut all the things you love out of your food, it is all about moderation and keeping an calorie deficit. For example I can still fit a burger and fries into my meals sometimes if I really watch what I eat the other two meals. Until you understand exactly what will fit into your daily calorie goals tracking is really important.

Keep at it you can do this.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I dont understand people posting asking about what diet works on myfitnesspal.com... Youre posting on a site that WORKS, just use myfitnesspal, you're already here!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Wow how to make a simple process complicated! Eat at a calorie deficit. You do not need to deprive yourself of foods you like just fit them into your allowance. Make sure its a sensible deficit weigh and measure all your food accurately be consistent and have some patience and you'll lose weight. Add a little exercise if you wish and that will help your overall health
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Wow how to make a simple process complicated! Eat at a calorie deficit. You do not need to deprive yourself of foods you like just fit them into your allowance. Make sure its a sensible deficit weigh and measure all your food accurately be consistent and have some patience and you'll lose weight. Add a little exercise if you wish and that will help your overall health

+100!
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    As everyone said above, except written different, eat less calories than it takes to fuel your body in a 24 hour period. This results in weight loss.

I wish I could make my wife see this. She wants to lose weight but she wants some miracle diet where she can eat without measuring. I watch her every day. She even inputs into the calculator but she doesn't measure anything. She guesses about what is on her plate serving wise. Then she gets upset because she is not losing any weight.

For some reason some diets, like South beach and Atkins tend to spread this rumor that you can lose weight without counting calories.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone has said.

Any "diet" that stresses you eat certain foods, dont eat certain foods, have restrictions, having to keep track of alot of different things is just setting you up to fail.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    No "diet" works. Diets are about don't eat this, or only eat that. All or none methods fail because who wants to live a lifetime that way?

Eat less. Eat what you like, but watch your portions. Though its also a good idea to eat a variety. Loving pasta doesn't mean you should avoid all else, but enjoy limited portions of your pasta while also getting in protein, fruits, veggies, etc.

And move more. Increasing activity is not the biggest part of weight loss, but its a good way to live. Weight loss alone is worth nothing if you don't also take other steps to improve your health.
  • Noory44
    Noory44 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious, how many calories are people on here averaging per day and how long are you working out each day?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Ps - I'm also not good at working out. SO I don't stress over it. But I do make an effort to be more active, by using an activity tracker and making sure to get in 10,000-12,000 steps a day. Call it what you want, for me this is working while focusing on 'exercise' and 'cardio' did not. I get in cardio, but its not about how much & how often. Its about making sure I'm active & doing things, and not just sitting on the couch while life passes by.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    For some reason some diets, like South beach and Atkins tend to spread this rumor that you can lose weight without counting calories.

Because you can. Those ways of eating help people lose weight because they introduce a caloric deficit indirectly, through carb counting and food restriction.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to the vodka and twinkie diet, myself.
  • JessicaPippen
    Options
    Diets dont work.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like the "eat less - move more" diet
  • smp0723
    smp0723 Posts: 88
    Options
    :happy:

Thanks everyone! I know you are all right! I just have to keep reminding myself there is no magic "diet".

I honestly think my caloric intake was less before I started trying to find the miracle eating plan. Time to get my food scale out and track everything.

LOVE. THIS. BOARD.