Calories Before Dinner

Options
Another question, mostly out of curiosity, but also to get a general guideline of what some healthy people out there are doing :)

About how many calories do you consume before dinner? (IE: what is your calorie total minus dinner)...

Thank you!

(PS: I know several factors can play into this, like exercise, scheduling, etc.)

Replies

• Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Today I am at 1218 before dinner and I have another 680 to spare. My diary is open if you want to see my typical day/week. This week is a reefed for me so eating more than usual but normally eat around 1500 calories.
  • ARNJMN
    ARNJMN Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding! Also, don't laugh... ;) But, what do you mean by "this week is a reefed for me"?
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't laugh!

I've been eating lower calories for 12 weeks now, so this week is going to be a reefed week where I eat closer to maintenance so that I don't have to keep lowering my calories to keep seeing progress. We'll see if it works.

+ at this point (5 pounds left to lose) I think I just want to focus on recomposition through weight lifting and not as much on the scale weight. My goal is to lower body fat and slim down rather than lose weight.

This was a good read for me: http://rippedbody.jp/2013/09/15/how-to-manipulate-macros/ (I am not a body builder, just a shape shifter LOL)
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I generally have two smaller meals and one big meal. Sometimes it's lunch, sometimes dinner.

Generally, breakfast and lunch will be about 500 cal each, and dinner will be 500-800, depending on how I snacked during the day.

My calories for the day are 1600. So it really depends. Sometimes I'll eat cereal and skim milk for breakfast (150 cal) and then eat a 1000 cal dinner! :P
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    About how many calories do you consume before dinner? (IE: what is your calorie total minus dinner)...
    A normal dinner for me is around 600 calories. I consume 1450 in five meals total.
    Thank you for responding! Also, don't laugh... ;) But, what do you mean by "this week is a reefed for me"?
    I guess that should be "refeed".
  • lawzza
    lawzza Posts: 11
    Options
    I usually eat approximately half my calories before dinner, and half my calories at dinner. So usually about a 700/700 cal split.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Around 900 plus or minus. That leaves me around 700 plus or minus for supper and snack.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    About 1,000, give or take 200.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My target is 2000 per day. I try to stay under 600 before dinner so that I can eat what I want the rest of the night. It has worked pretty good for me to this point.
  • arodfreak1234
    Options
    Depends on how many calories you want to consume throughout the day, and when you do your workout. If you do your workout in the morning or afternoon, then you will probably eat a little more for energy and recovery after your workout. If you are doing your workout in the evening before dinner, which is best if you do an evening workout, because then you won't be full before the workout. Lets say for example you are eating 1500 calories a day, you want to spread that out over at least 5 meals. So you can eat 300 calories per snack or meal. But if you are doing your workout in the evening I would suggest upping the calories for your dinner after the workout to 500. So for one snack just have a 100 calorie snack. Same goes for the morning, if you are working out after you get up then you probably will not eat before the workout, unless you wait an hour or two and have a pre workout meal. So, eat a meal after your workout around 400-500 calories within 90 minutes, if you have a protein shake right after the workout. If you don't have a protein shake, then eat within 30 minutes of finishing the workout. Hope this helps!
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 30-35% of my daily goal.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    My net goal is 1750 per day. I tend to eat the same throughout the day no matter whether it's a cardio day or not (generally 800-1000 calories). The difference is the extra calories from the cardio - so my dinners range from 700-1200, or I might eat a second dinner which consists of a banana w/ peanut butter or ice cream or whatever. Or sometimes I save calories for the weekend.

But to answer your question more closely: I typically eat 800-1000 calories throughout the day and hoard the rest for dinner.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Most days I'm at 1000 to 1100 of my daily 1700 calories for dinner. I use the TDEE method so that doesn't change based on exercise. I usually have a 400-500 calorie dinner and a 200-300 calorie snack later in the evening. Because I eat 4 or 5 times per day there is always a meal within 1-2 hours of working out even if I exercise multiple times during the day.

I think where your calories are really depends on how you prefer to eat. Some folks like to eat early in the day, some a big dinner. Others would rather eat 4 or 5 smaller meals. I think you need to figure out how you prefer to space your meals and calories.
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Most days, I eat 800-1000 calories before dinner. Dinner is usually between 600-900 calories. I often exercise in the evenings. Depending on how big dinner was or how much I work out, I may have a small snack (200-400 calories) before bed--I usually reserve enough calories for a beer, at least. If breakfast, lunch, and dinner were all pretty light, and I get in a decent workout, I sometimes will have a fairly large "fourth meal".

I know a lot of people say that you shouldn't reserve the bulk of your calories for the end of the day, but that's how it works out best for me--especially on weekdays. On weekends, especially if we're at home, breakfast can be a lot bigger for me. I've basically maintained by "goal weight" for nearly a year now (with some expansions and contractions around vacations and holidays), so it seems to be working!
  • ARNJMN
    ARNJMN Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it, I was over-thinking it and this helped a lot :)