Failing fast already

Options
:sad: so I started at the beginning of April. Starting weight was 161, current weight is 157. That's good, right?
BUT
I have been bingeing and skipping out on exercise for the past week and no matter what I can't motivate myself and feel so hopeless. I'm unhealthy and my dad and I have both have a bingeing problem and it is ruining my life.

Replies

• cmglass10
    cmglass10 Posts: 31
    Options
    Slip ups happen, at least you recognize you are slipping up and you do want to correct the problem. Try getting into your workout clothes for before deciding to skip out on the workout or not. Sometimes when you are already in the clothes you are more incline to continue and go along with doing your workout. And if you do binge, don't beat yourself up for it that day. Just remember that for the next meal be a little more conscious and remember that each day is a fresh start. :) I'm no expert or anything. But at least hoping what I said will help you not feel so bad anymore. Also you are free to add me if you want more support and motivation.

By the way, GREAT JOB on what you've done so far!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Habits are difficult to change, take it one day at a time, and don't beat yourself up for not sticking to your goal. I find that pre-logging my food helps me stay on track, and have even pre-logged my exercise at times. You don't say what approach you are using, but perhaps you are trying to change too much at once or have chosen a large deficit? Often a drastic change in diet leads to eventual binging. Try picking a small deficit (1/2 to 1 pound a week loss), and make sure you save room in your day for food that you love. For me it's chocolate, I eat it almost everyday. Best of luck to you - don't give up!
  • Jesygfbaker
    Options
    You're only human! So many things can contribute to bingeing. Do you have a workout buddy? I know when I don't workout (like after surgery) my cravings were so hard to manage, and centered around carbs all the time! I think the exercise helps to stabilize my hormones, which keeps my cravings and appetite a little more under control. Eat as best as you can. Get as much nourishment from your food as you can, and don't let yourself get too hungry before you eat! If I let myself get to the point where I'm ready to eat my own fists, the hunger just doesn't want to go away, even after I eat a HUGE amount! You can do this! It's only food. It's only one day. But you are worth taking good care of. And you've done a good job so far!
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I just glanced at one day on your diary. You aren't eating much - for many people eating a very low calorie diet triggers binging. Its not just you. Maybe adjust your expectations to losing half a pound a week or whatever so that you can eat more and, paradoxically, end up eating less.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Purchase and read the book, "The Beck Diet Solution."
  • shane_tac1
    shane_tac1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You don't say what approach you are using, but perhaps you are trying to change too much at once or have chosen a large deficit?

This. For some folks baby steps are the best way to go. Everyone is different. For some folks they have an all or nothing approach and if it works for them great. Others have to take it nice and slow and build it up. Doing too much at once is setting yourself up for failure. Its not about will power its about understanding how your mind works and outsmarting it.
    So dont beat yourself up, outsmart yourself. You have made the first step by recognizing what sets you back.
    Set small goals, reach them and before long that stage will be a habit. Then look at setting a new small goal and creating another new habit.

Good luck.
  • TXEXrunner
    TXEXrunner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Good for you working on a better you, and congrats on what you have accomplished in just a short time this month. Is there someone who can serve as an accountability partner for you? Sounds like that would be a big step to keeping you "disciplined" with your routine. Meal planning is also good. I find logging entries here is a great education and good peer pressure from friends keeps me honest, and committed to my routine.
    Try not to be discouraged by occasional setbacks. You are in a marathon of sorts - take it a day at a time, but try to honor your commitment to your health. There will be bumps in the road, but don't let them become the norm. Find a healthy routine that you can build on each day. You can do this!! Look for people who can serve as positive influences on you and encourage you on your journey!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to stick to too great of a calorie deficit/too few calories? That can cause the problems you're experiencing.
  • ThisisTotallyDTB
    Options
    I just want to say that I know exactly how you feel. I have the exact same problem - starting out really good, then crashing and burning faster than I begin.

The advice given here is amazing. I just wanted to pipe in and say that you're not alone in your struggle, and that I can completely relate. Hopefully everything works out for you! :)
  • loonylovegood0715
    loonylovegood0715 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate everyone's advice!
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You're welcome. Really, though, read that book. It will help you tremendously.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Baby steps!! And jump back in!!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I don't know your height and weight, but I see your diary is set to only 1,200 calories. That is LOW. That is very low. Change your diary to "1 lb loss per week" and see how many calories it gives you.