Why Several Small Meals?

Options
2»

Replies

• jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think it could help prevent blood sugar dips in some people. However, for other people, eating less often actually works better. You just have to see what works for you.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    It depends on your own personal schedule, habits, appetite, etc. For example, I eat 4 meals a day and it fits my schedule perfectly. Because I work afternoons, it tends to go: breakfast at ~11:30 am, lunch at 4:30 pm, dinner after work at 10:00 pm, and a good snack before bed around 2:00 am. On an exercise day, I fit in something like a smoothie to get back calories expended without being too terribly full. Or I indulge :P
  • BRA_S
    BRA_S Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I heard that too in the beginning of my weight loss I tired it, but found out I am more satisfied with 4-5 meals a day. Same results.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference, it is completely down to personal preference.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Meal timing won't affect your weight loss. Some people feel better on six small meals a day and others prefer 3 meals and still others will only eat one. Assuming you don't have a medical reason to eat throughout the day and are staying within your calorie and macro goals, it really doesn't matter which one you choose.

Find what works best for you, makes you feel good throughout the day, and helps your workout performance the most.
    Strongly agree^^^

I've tried the whole eat eat smaller meals throughout the day and it didn't work for me. I ended up hungrier and constantly thinking about my next meal. If prefer to eat more calories in one sitting than to spread that 1 meal over 2 or even 3 meals. But as stated above, find what works for you and ignore all that speeding up or starting your metabolism mumbo jumbo.

Not to disagree but to provide a counter example I used to eat 2 meals a day, skip breakfast and have a sizable lunch and sizable dinner. I then read about eating every 3 hours or something like that and thought I'd give it a try while dieting and found that for me it worked great. Don't get me wrong I now have come to realize that the idea behind eating lots of small meals throughout the day (ie boost metabolism) is completely false but I just happened to find that I had more energy and got more out of my day spacing my food into smaller meals throughout the day.

As MrM said, just find what works for you and don't sweat the details. Only thing that matters for weight loss is calories in calories out and how happy you are doing it. If eating frequent meals makes it easier for you then do that, if its a pain in the butt then don't do it and just eat your 2 or 3.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat better with smaller meals because I get less hungry and am less likely to over eat.