truth-about-your-weight-gain

Options
I recently became a vegetarian after seeing some videos of how animals are treated at farms and now that I read this article I am glad I gave up cheeseburgers! :smile: This article kind of blames others for our weight loss so I only half agree with it because I believe we all have to take some responsibility for where we got but it's interesting (and disgusting) info.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/truth-about-your-weight-gain

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I had a fast food burger. Been a long time. I've been doing an ultimate cheeseburger from Jack in the Box about once a year, but after reading this... Yeah... I think I'm going to bookmark this article for next time I'm craving one. Then I'll go get some grass fed beef, hormone-free cheese, and organic buns and make my own! (Which will probably taste better!)

Thanks for sharing. :bigsmile:
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Best part about that whole article.
    "EAT RIGHT RULE: If your food can go bad, it's good for you. If it can't go bad, it's bad for you."
  • RLAL09
    RLAL09 Posts: 28
    Options
    Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • roadrash311
    Options
    Yes you are right from a moral and health stance both. Animals from large corporations are raised in feeding farms and they are fed corn to accelerate weight gain which stresses the animal to a premature death if it wasnt slaughtered anyways. The conditions are deplorable and bacteria run rampant. And from a health perspective the meat from a corn fed animal is much less lean. Usually around 5 times more fat than an animal that eats grass.

Being a vegetarian is great but for those of us who cant give up meat there are alternatives. www.eatwild.com has a comprehensive list of local farmers in any state who raise their livestock on grass/pastures. The animal's meat is leaner and healthier.

I would also like to suggest some documentaries that I would say are VERY important to see for some good information on food in general.

Supersize Me (the fact that this man was showing signs of liver failure after his experiment was very alarming)
    Food Inc. (probably the most important documentary I ever watched)
    Food Matters (foods that are comprehensive in nutrition)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

This is a link to a lecture about frutose. I cant begin to stress enough how life changing this was to me. Let me just tell you my wife hates it when we go to the grocery store now lol. Please watch this it's amazing information.
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I returned to vegetarianism after seeing an undercover video of Conklin Dairy Farms where newborn calves were beaten to death, and unmilked cows were poked in the utters with pitchforks.

I went to my fridge that night, looked at the meat in there, and literally gagged. I just couldn't do it. Never again. Now, I substitute dairy with vegan/soy alternatives, or I buy from the farmer's market or ONE local dairy that I have visited, that treat their cattle like pets. It's really awesome there, and you can tell the animals are happy, well cared for, not overmilked, and calves are kept with their mothers.

My eggs are either farmer's market or cage free organic as well.

I don't care what other people want to do, this is just what's right for ME. I see my dollar as my vote, and I won't "vote" for something that horrifies me.

And quality? Pfffft. I saw a Dateline or something where they visited a mall food court and found roaches crawling the walls, employees wiping their noses and then touching food with bare hands, Taco Bell is Grade F meat (dog food is Grade D - just make a taco with his/her Alpo and you'll be better off), and many McDonald's have been closed due to health code violations.

It's enough to put everyone off food forever.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    Yes you are right from a moral and health stance both. Animals from large corporations are raised in feeding farms and they are fed corn to accelerate weight gain which stresses the animal to a premature death if it wasnt slaughtered anyways. The conditions are deplorable and bacteria run rampant. And from a health perspective the meat from a corn fed animal is much less lean. Usually around 5 times more fat than an animal that eats grass.

Being a vegetarian is great but for those of us who cant give up meat there are alternatives. www.eatwild.com has a comprehensive list of local farmers in any state who raise their livestock on grass/pastures. The animal's meat is leaner and healthier.

I would also like to suggest some documentaries that I would say are VERY important to see for some good information on food in general.

Supersize Me (the fact that this man was showing signs of liver failure after his experiment was very alarming)

This is a link to a lecture about frutose. I cant begin to stress enough how life changing this was to me. Let me just tell you my wife hates it when we go to the grocery store now lol. Please watch this it's amazing information.

Great info, thanks for sharing!
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    I returned to vegetarianism after seeing an undercover video of Conklin Dairy Farms where newborn calves were beaten to death, and unmilked cows were poked in the utters with pitchforks.

I went to my fridge that night, looked at the meat in there, and literally gagged. I just couldn't do it. Never again. Now, I substitute dairy with vegan/soy alternatives, or I buy from the farmer's market or ONE local dairy that I have visited, that treat their cattle like pets. It's really awesome there, and you can tell the animals are happy, well cared for, not overmilked, and calves are kept with their mothers.

My eggs are either farmer's market or cage free organic as well.

I don't care what other people want to do, this is just what's right for ME. I see my dollar as my vote, and I won't "vote" for something that horrifies me.

And quality? Pfffft. I saw a Dateline or something where they visited a mall food court and found roaches crawling the walls, employees wiping their noses and then touching food with bare hands, Taco Bell is Grade F meat (dog food is Grade D - just make a taco with his/her Alpo and you'll be better off), and many McDonald's have been closed due to health code violations.

It's enough to put everyone off food forever.
    I know the idea of some places I've seen turns my stomach. I thought I'd miss it but I don't.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,126 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about the abusive practices in factory farming.

Sadly there is no agricultural practice that does not cost the lives of innocent animals. Vegetable agriculture causes habitat loss, as well as death to all creatures who live on the ground such as mice, rats, chipmunks, young deer, snakes, rabbits, hedgehogs, all ground-dwellers. How is one animal more important than the next? What about the 50,000 healthy domesticated animals that were put to death in shelters in my state alone last year because people won't alter (spay and neuter) their pets?

The only way to eat with no blood on our hands is to grow our own food. We could also enforce human population control. Obviously that is never going to happen in the industrialized world. Well, except China on the population policy. And China is the world's largest polluter - so we could go on and on about injustices in the world.
  • BoresEasily
    Options

Scariest video I've ever watched hands down. I had stopped eating most refined carbohydrates and have cut out all juices and sodas and most things containing any of the additives ending in ose for several months now. After watching this video I'm thrilled beyond belief I had.