FODMAP help?

Options
Hi guys,

I'm a 26 year old with coeliac disease and IBS, and (after a series of continued, minor flare ups despite a strict elimination diet for my known trigger foods) I'm considering trying the FODMAP elimination diet to try to isolate what may be causing the flares. As anyone with IBS will tell you, it can be an absolutely debilitating chronic illness if you don't identify your triggers. Has anyone experienced any success with this? Any hints? Thanks!

-Coolchick207

Replies

• Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I don't have IBS but I know others who do and have had some luck with the Fodmaps elimination diet. You need to eliminate for 6 weeks and then introduce by category. If you have problems you need to eliminate the category for 2 weeks and try another category etc.

I have heard that the Fructans cause the most issues for people.

Best of luck with it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Before embarking on this I would consult with your dietitian or doctor considering your other issues
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I did the FODMAP elimination diet. As Fatdoob said, you must do it with a dietician. It's transformed my life now that I know the triggers. I'm a veggie too so can't always eliminate my triggers when I'm out and I REALLY feel it afterwards. It great not to dread eating, knowing that you will feel really crap afterwards.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Before embarking on this I would consult with your dietitian or doctor considering your other issues

^^ This! But bare in mind OP IBS isn't always just triggered purely by food. TOM hormones can impact on it. As can stress, cigarettes, caffeine, & alcohol. I don't want to be all doom & gloom but please be aware you can't always guarantee 100% eradication of flare ups.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    I have found that some FODMAPS cause more problems for me than others and you could try just eliminating one thing at a time and see how you get on. That way, you may not need to avoid ALL FODMAPS in future. For example, I get a lot of distress if I eat too much coconut meat, baked beans, dried fruit and sweeteners but I'm ok with many fruits and veg and dairy products.

Also, there seems to be some evidence to suggest that FODMAP intolerance is caused by gut dysbiosis and treating the root cause can help you to digest these better but you may still need to keep them low. I would suggest adding some gelatin to your diet to protect the gut lining (which may be especially helpful as a celiac) and probiotics.
  • lexidear
    lexidear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me - I've got IBS too. I tried the elimination diet after a huge stress flare up and seemed to settle thing after 2 weeks. Now I try and eat as much as I can low FODMAP but still have little bits of FODMAP food here and there and it seems to be ok for me. My doctor suggested the diet for me to settle my issues.
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Will be seeing my dr in the next few weeks to get a referral to a dietician. We have to be careful with any changes that we make to my lifestyle due to a heart defect that flares up during times of stress or change, but at the same time, the stress that's put on my body during flares doesn't do me any good either. I am aware that IBS flares will not be able to be completely eliminated but I've had 3 in the last 3 months that have kept me home for multiple days. As I've just started a new job, not a great situation. I was just looking for some info from other people about if they had any success - amazingly, I'm not one of those people who take the word of strangers on the internet as gospel! lol. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I have found that some FODMAPS cause more problems for me than others and you could try just eliminating one thing at a time and see how you get on. That way, you may not need to avoid ALL FODMAPS in future. For example, I get a lot of distress if I eat too much coconut meat, baked beans, dried fruit and sweeteners but I'm ok with many fruits and veg and dairy products.

Also, there seems to be some evidence to suggest that FODMAP intolerance is caused by gut dysbiosis and treating the root cause can help you to digest these better but you may still need to keep them low. I would suggest adding some gelatin to your diet to protect the gut lining (which may be especially helpful as a celiac) and probiotics.

I agree, it's not about eliminating ALL FODMAPS, just finding the ones that cause problems. You eliminate them all for six weeks and then bring them back one at a time, gradually increasing the amounts. It's hard work though and takes months.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I found it helped me but I couldn't keep it up because it wasn't practical on my very low income (I don't work at all), I need a lot of variety in my diet or I get really stressed which causes flare ups anyway, so I just eat balanced, very little/no bread and reduced the things that really make me flare up, and the rest I eat normally. I tend to be ok for weeks then have a whole week of a flare up then be ok again for weeks. Currently mid flare up atm, fleepin painful, so I eliminate as many FODMAPs as I can during a flare up until I am settled. That's my story anywaysv:wink: