Should I eat if I'm not hungry.

Options
I just changed my activity level from sedentary to lightly active. Going from
1200-1320 calories. After eating a late dinner (because dinner guests didn't show up till late) I wasn't hungry for my after dinner snacks that I left calories for. This left me at 985 calories total for the day. (Not net ). I just realized at 11 that my calories were low and had milk and a nutrigrain bar to push me to 1200. I wasn't hungry but I was afraid if I didn't eat them I'd be too far under calorie goal. Or afraid that I'd end up hungry at like 3am then eating super late. How does everyone else handle this?

Replies

• skinnyhappyfuture
    Options
    I believe one of the main reasons people lose control of their eating and end up over-eating is because we stop listening to our bodies and start listening to an "expert", a book or a website. Never put anyone else's advice in front of the needs of your own body.

It sounds like you ate your dinner later than usual and you didn't have enough time between dinner and snack to become hungry again. In general, I wouldn't ever recommend eating when you're not hungry. Obviously, there are a few cases where you ought to eat regardless of hunger, such as if you have hypoglycaemia or are diabetic and have to eat to compensate for insulin you've taken. Also, if you notice a marked lack in appetite for several days or a week, you'd want to check with a doctor and ask advice there to make sure you were receiving adequate nutrition. However, most people should listen to their body and decide for themselves whether they are hungry before eating something. Eating when you're not hungry tends to normalise eating for reasons other than hunger...and it easily becomes "normal" to eat for boredom, out of frustration or simply because food is available. Ignoring your body also makes it harder to know when you're truly hungry. A better idea would be to wait until you were hungry, maybe checking in with yourself in an hour or two after your usual snack time to see if you'd like it yet. If you still don't want it after an hour, then you don't need the snack for today and can always add a bit more calories tomorrow to balance things out.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    your metabolism will not slow down from one low day

Just eat more tomorrow (you will probably be a bit more hungry because of a low day anyway)
  • nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Ok so if I don't eat but wake up at 3am with a hunger pang should I eat something small then to get back to sleep?
  • runnergirl0419
    runnergirl0419 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do would be to drink a glass of water, lay back down, and if you are still hungry eat something low-carb and fiber rich. You do not want to feel like you are starving when trying to sleep because that never works, but you also want to identify if it is hunger or thirst.
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Ok so if I don't eat but wake up at 3am with a hunger pang should I eat something small then to get back to sleep?

Gosh I would never eat if I woke up hungry during the night, it will never kill us to go hungry through the night.

I can't eat for the sake of eating, I need to be hungry.

But even at 370 pounds, I can honestly say I have never, ever got out of my bed to eat anything EVER!

So you just have a bigger breakfast if you are THAT hungry..... or have some water
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong or dangerous with eating at any particular time of day, so have the 3am snack.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options

I have a friend that will get up and eat a half of pb sandwich in the night then go back to bed, she's not obese but is carrying a few extra lbs. but nothing I would worry about. Me on the other hand, even at over 400 lbs, have never gotten up in the night to eat even if I did wake up hungry, like this morning at 3 am. I don't see the need to get up from a warm bed just to feed a growling belly when I can roll over go back to sleep. But you may feel you need to get up and eat. I think it's a bad habit to start but you are not me. A growling belly is NOT a bad thing unless you haven't eaten in 2 days.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    She's already not eating enough. This may be why she gets hungry in the middle of the night and hunger can make it hard to sleep. There is nothing morally or physically wrong with eating in the middle of the night as far as I know. I'm confused by these responses.
  • Heir0fFir3
    Heir0fFir3 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I never eat unless I'm hungry. You wouldn't fill your car with fuel if it was already topped up, so why would you do it to yourself? If you go to sleep hunger goes away anyway
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    I think I need to reword the last part. If I'm the slightest but hungry my body won't let me sleep. I will toss and turn until I eat something and once I do I'm able to fall asleep. So is it better to eat at 10 pm if not hungry to avoid waking up hungry or just go to bed and if I get hungry in the middle of the night eat? And at 3am its usually a quick nutrigrain bar or tbsp of PB
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I think I need to reword the last part. If I'm the slightest but hungry my body won't let me sleep. I will toss and turn until I eat something and once I do I'm able to fall asleep. So is it better to eat at 10 pm if not hungry to avoid waking up hungry or just go to bed and if I get hungry in the middle of the night eat? And at 3am its usually a quick nutrigrain bar or tbsp of PB

If you can't sleep while hungry, go eat something.

PP said you might be hungrier tomorrow. Your body can't tell time in regards to eating. You can always look at a weekly calorie goal instead of daily, that way a single day of not hitting your goal won't bother you so much.
  • rainbowxelephant
    rainbowxelephant Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I think you should do whichever works for you. If you wake up at 3 am hungry, just fricken eat something. I don't understand why everyone is telling you to suck it up and be hungry. There's nothing wrong with eating, your body doesn't know what time it is. Maybe eating more for breakfast and lunch would help, because it seems like you're under eating if anything, but do whatever feels best for your body.
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I can not sleep when I am hungry so I think you made the right choice by eating something before you went to sleep. I have been woken up out my sleep hungry before when dieting and when this happens usually I eat something I shouldn't have. I think it was a good choice to avoid over eating later.
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor about this exact issue the last time I saw him, most days I hit my calorie goals but there are days where I am just not hungry and end up around 900 cal. I was worried but he advised that if I am not hungry don't force myself to eat a day here and there where you are low on calories wont hurt just make sure its not an everyday occurrence.
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    I can not sleep when I am hungry so I think you made the right choice by eating something before you went to sleep. I have been woken up out my sleep hungry before when dieting and when this happens usually I eat something I shouldn't have. I think it was a good choice to avoid over eating later.

It sucks to wake up when hungry. Especially when then something else arises that keeps me up once I'm awake.....like a snoring husband lol
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you do wake up in the night hungry, and you really can't turn over and get back to sleep, I would get up and eat a light snack, yes. In fact, I did that last night, I woke up at around 3am to go to the restroom, and went back to bed to find that I was very hungry and felt a little queasy from it. I couldn't get back to sleep after about 15 mins so I got up and ate a slice of cantaloupe. It didn't *feel* like it helped right away, but after about 5 mins my stomach settled and I fell right back to sleep. If you DO need to eat in the middle of the night, definitely make it very light, and track it in the morning. As far as eating when you're not hungry, I wouldn't recommend it either unless, as others have said, you have some health issue that would dictate otherwise. Not listening to our bodies is what causes disordered eating, and that's NEVER something to strive for. :) Good luck!
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    She's already not eating enough. This may be why she gets hungry in the middle of the night and hunger can make it hard to sleep. There is nothing morally or physically wrong with eating in the middle of the night as far as I know. I'm confused by these responses.

Me too, if you are hungry, eat. Light heavy whatever whenever, time of day or type of food. If you are not getting the minimum 1200 calories daily that most people should get, It isn't going to matter if you eat a TBP of peanut butter or a banana, or ice cream for that matter. You don't have to overindulge, but if you are waking up hungry, and you are under your calorie goal, eat. JMHO
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Should you cough if you arent sick?

(idk what im trying to say) but sure, eat..
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has no effect on weight loss. I make and eat most of my baked treats as a night time meal (well there's really only one or two baked treats in rotation right now). The baking, washing dishes, some cooking - either for a snack or meal prep, packing of gym bag, all routinely done in the middle of the night for me. That's the simple thing about calories in calories out - you can tailor it to your own lifestyle and be successful, not anybody else's

As for hitting your numbers, try to get enough calories at least on a weekly basis. Body needs nutrients and all that :happy:
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    If you wake up hungry at 3am then it is totally fine to have a snack and go back to sleep. It makes no difference what time you eat food.

ETA: it might help you to look at the weekly not daily number of calories.