Runners? Safety?

Options

Replies

• Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    But I think everyone is so hung up on WHERE the OP was running, the point of the post is getting missed.

And this surprises you why?

I find it interesting that there are cemeteries out there big enough for people to actually run in. The ones where I live are really small.

Anyway, OP: I would have been a little freaked out too. Yes they could have been nice and had zero bad intentions in mind but you never know. Heck I got freaked out once when I came out of the grocery store. I was walking to my car in the (poorly lit) parking lot. As I walk towards it this van pulled up next to the drivers side, like really close. There were two guys sitting in the front seat. Again, dark parking lot + 1 woman walking towards car + rape van = me feeling uneasy. While I did get into my car I crawled in through the passengers side making sure I locked the door after I got in. I was kind of glad I did too because after I got in and started the car and started to pull away the side door opened and there were at least 3 more guys in the back. Was I being paranoid? Maybe but I would personally rather be paranoid than dead.

I think you were fine with listening to your instincts, even if they didn't have "bad" intentions.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    The only creepy thing that has happened to me, but it was when I was on a walk, not a run. A few years ago a creepy man on a bike was following me around telling me how cute my butt was and how sexy I was. I made sure I sped up my walking speed and changed my route. I never saw him again.

I've been running lately and so far the most annoying this to happen to me are people being impatient with me when they are driving, but you get that everywhere. So far no creepy men. Just old men walking dogs who nod or smile to me.

But I try to make sure I run during the day, preferably in the morning. But also I'm sure if I ran in the afternoon that would be fine as well, because there are people out to see me. The only thing are all the cars out!

I am sorry that happened to you. Sounds annoying. Obviously you're running; you're not interested in those men.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    make and model of the car along with a description of the occupants to the maintenance staff.... they may work there or they may know them, if you get a negative you report it with the local police department. This would at least alert authorities that they may have an issue in that area and protects you, your children and others that use the space for exercise.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    make and model of the car along with a description of the occupants to the maintenance staff.... they may work there or they may know them, if you get a negative you report it with the local police department. This would at least alert authorities that they may have an issue in that area and protects you, your children and others that use the space for exercise.

If you can get a picture of the car that helps too.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Change up your route regularly. Run with others around if you can. Carry your cell phone and do not hesitate to dial 911. The local police will be happy, I say happy, to see you safe, than sorry.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't realize that this would be such a controversial topic! This is the norm where I live. We do not have public tracks for walking, the only one is at the local high school, and you have to be a student or faculty to access it. We have rural roads with no side walks and there are a lot of hills and curves. It is not safe to just bike, or walk, on the roads. We don't even have side walks for pedestrians. We do have some picnic trails and hiking trails around the local lake, but they are not suitable for beginning runners, or for children, as they are usually along cliffs and ridgelines.

After an incident were a runner was hit by a car (drunk driver - broad daylight) while on the side of the road, there were announcements made on the news channel and in the papers, that it was not safe for foot traffic to be on the roads. Thankfully, the man lived, and recovered to full physical health. The local police even requested that recreational walkers, runners, and bikers use other locations for their sport, such as.... a local cemetery with paved roads. They even gave a list of the ones that gave permission, the one we use being one of them.

As to respecting people visiting their loved ones graves, we keep our distance. My kids are never far enough away from me that I have to call them back. They are not loud or unruly, we stay off the grass, and away from every ones flowers and decorations. When someone comes in, I just change my route to give them their privacy and space. If we were to come at a time when a funeral is in progress, or even finished but still had the canopies and seats out for the family, we leave. Simple as that. Where we live, this isn't disrespectful. But I've never been any where else, so I don't know how it is in other places.

But- I will say that this is the only time that I have ever been made to feel uncomfortable or "threatened" by any one. At this location, or in any other place around our town, good or bad. And foolish of me or not, I did feel threatened by these two particular people, I was shaken up a bit by it, because it caught me off guard. Hence the question as to what others do for safety. Thank you to those of you who answered me with real suggestions and advice.

It isn't uncommon where I live either. In fact one of the local cemeteries hosts a Halloween run every year. It's a 1 mile fun run for kids/5K/10K/Marathon Relay...you are encouraged to run in costume, they give out medals, and the relay can start anytime after 6 p.m. but the team that finishes the closest to midnight without going over receives a special prize. They also hold a half and full marathon at other times during the year.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I usually jog on snowmobile trails in my town. Sometimes my children ride their bikes with me and sometimes I go alone. My children know where the closest "ok" houses and businesses are, and have been told to go there as quick as they can if anything happens. I always carry my phone in my hand with headphones attached, but only in one ear. If my gut tells me something is "off" about someone nearby I'll slow down and pretend to be talking to someone until I'm further away. On one occasion, I remember seeing a guy walking down the trail towards me and I immediately turned around and started running back the way I came. If he was just a regular guy, I'm sure he thought I was crazy, but who cares? He just looked at me funny. I do also carry pepper spray around my wrist. I don't know that I'd be able to use it quick enough or aim it accurately, but isn't it better to have it than not?

In my experience, I'd had more trouble with animals than people. I've been cornered twice by dogs, hence the pepper spray I now carry.

Good for you for going with your gut in this instance. Whether they had good intentions or not (and I'm betting on not), any "normal" adult man should know that behavior would be creepy.

Lastly - I used to run in a cemetary, and find nothing at all wrong with that! My adopted grammy was buried there and I think she laughed everytime I huffed by.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I've also thought about carrying pepper spray as I run outside early in the morning. I do always follow my gut. I NEVER take my phone but I always run in residential areas or well-trafficked areas as that's where I live. There is one park that I run through that is pretty big and I just avoid the spots where there are wooded areas.

Definitely follow your instincts. If something is weird/sketchy to you it probably is. Do what you need to do!!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't realize that this would be such a controversial topic! This is the norm where I live. We do not have public tracks for walking, the only one is at the local high school, and you have to be a student or faculty to access it. We have rural roads with no side walks and there are a lot of hills and curves. It is not safe to just bike, or walk, on the roads. We don't even have side walks for pedestrians. We do have some picnic trails and hiking trails around the local lake, but they are not suitable for beginning runners, or for children, as they are usually along cliffs and ridgelines.

After an incident were a runner was hit by a car (drunk driver - broad daylight) while on the side of the road, there were announcements made on the news channel and in the papers, that it was not safe for foot traffic to be on the roads. Thankfully, the man lived, and recovered to full physical health. The local police even requested that recreational walkers, runners, and bikers use other locations for their sport, such as.... a local cemetery with paved roads. They even gave a list of the ones that gave permission, the one we use being one of them.

As to respecting people visiting their loved ones graves, we keep our distance. My kids are never far enough away from me that I have to call them back. They are not loud or unruly, we stay off the grass, and away from every ones flowers and decorations. When someone comes in, I just change my route to give them their privacy and space. If we were to come at a time when a funeral is in progress, or even finished but still had the canopies and seats out for the family, we leave. Simple as that. Where we live, this isn't disrespectful. But I've never been any where else, so I don't know how it is in other places.

But- I will say that this is the only time that I have ever been made to feel uncomfortable or "threatened" by any one. At this location, or in any other place around our town, good or bad. And foolish of me or not, I did feel threatened by these two particular people, I was shaken up a bit by it, because it caught me off guard. Hence the question as to what others do for safety. Thank you to those of you who answered me with real suggestions and advice.

It's quite common where I live as well. My husband has a real issue with me running on our road, and especially if I have my ear buds in, so I have tried to go to walking trails, etc. If the family cemetary were closer I would go there routinely. Sorry you were spooked. I took this question to my wall and asked what others thought on my FL about running/biking/walking in cemetaries and it is quite varied, and seems regional. My only suggestion would be maybe letting someone know (if you see maintenance folks, or if they have a building, as some do have a FT staff) that you are there with your children and had some concerns from the last time you wre there. THey might just keep an eye on your guys better if they know you were worried.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I run in my neighborhood and all my neighbors know me, at least by sight. We're a pretty close community, so I don't worry too much about safety. If I'm out on trails hiking or walking then I'm always with my dog, who is the biggest baby in the world, but also 85 lbs and while super sweet, super protective.

The only time I worry about safety is when I am out camping with just my dog, then I usually carry a 9 mm. I've never had a problem camping either, other than with animals.
  • sheliajim
    sheliajim Posts: 21
    Options
    As a teen I worked a summer job in the cemetery where my Dad was foreman. Many times there were those running. The terrain is perfect with the many hills and different directions. I never considered it disrespectful at all, to each his own. The more activity in the cemetery the less concern of vandalism to the headstones of peoples loved ones. I run on a trail that is secluded in some spots, I have a stun gun that I am more than willing to use. I have been approached by stray dogs on occasion. With society today, you have to stay aware of your surroundings, especially with the babies in tow.
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Always follow your gut. If something doesn't feel right, it's probably not.

This is spot on!!
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

I need to quit reading the other responses (they are starting to get repetitive), so apologies if this has been covered already. First, I live in a city and we don't run in cemeteries here, but I don't think it's at all strange if that's what your community does, so people just need to chill out on that. Different towns have totally different social norms.

I like giving people the benefit of the doubt, but realize I need to pay attention to my gut sometimes too. One time I extended a walk significantly because there was a group of guys kind of hovering near my car (at a park). There wasn't anyone else around, and I just wasn't comfortable, so I walked all the way back to work instead of going to my car. I trusted my gut and got a good workout!

In your case, first I would take a break from running there at that particular time for awhile. If these people do happen to have bad intentions, the easiest way for them to find you would be to return at the same time on another day. So mix it up for awhile.

I also pay attention to my surroundings, and kind of make it obvious that I'm doing that. Like, I'll look over my shoulder somewhat frequently. I try to not look paranoid, but I don't give off the vibe that I'm totally zoned out.

I also don't venture to remote areas. This is the city-girl in me; I just feel kind of creeped out if I'm the only one in a park or something, like there'd be no one to help me if someone did want to attack me.

I used to carry pepper spray if I was walking after dark near by house, but I do understand why people wouldn't. But at least if my own pepper spray was used against me it wouldn't be as catastrophic as if my own gun (which I don't own anyhow) was used against me. (Assuming I wasn't peppersprayed and then put in a car or something.)

Last, it can't hurt to let someone know where you're going. Obviously if something terrible happens, it might be "too late," but at least knowing where you were and when you were there could help people find you quickly.

Years ago on Oprah, I saw a tip that I've never forgotten. It's less related to walking, but for what it's worth ...If you're in a parking lot, and someone grabs you, you're supposed to throw your keys AWAY from you. Apparently most of the time the "bad guy" wants your keys or your car, so will go after those and that gives you a jump start on running away. I suppose the same could be true if you're carrying a wallet or phone on trails - worth a shot anyhow.
  • hospitablegirl
    hospitablegirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they were preparing for a service? Surveying a plot? There early to prep a site? Meeting family for the anniversary of the passing of a loved one?

Oh, wait...this is MFP. Yeah, they were definitely stalking you. It's the only possible explanation.

This was extremely rude and uncalled for. Her question was not for you to weigh in on your opinion of whether these men were stalking her. It was to ask about safety during running.

As for my answer, I'm a runner as well, still in the early stages. I always run through neighborhoods or parks, keeping to public places. If I feel nervous about a person who is paying too much attention to me, I turn around and go a different way. I always have my phone, but no, I don't pack a gun or knife or anything like that. It seems to me that if I'm physically fit enough to run for a mile or so, I could probably outrun them (if on foot).

As for your kids, when with your children, I would definitely be hyperaware. You should always go with your gut because it's better to be safe than sorry.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Skateboarding in a cemetery? Condoned by the church? Are they Unitarians or something?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    And you're more likely to get zapped by lightning than to be attacked. It's the irrational effect of anecdotal "evidence" that makes you scared. If running outside is that scary, go hop on a treadmill at Planet Fitness.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    And you're more likely to get zapped by lightning than to be attacked. It's the irrational effect of anecdotal "evidence" that makes you scared. If running outside is that scary, go hop on a treadmill at Planet Fitness.

One in six women gets zapped by lighting?

The chance of an average person living in the US being struck by lightning in a given year is estimated at 1 in 500,000, while the chance of being struck by lightning in a lifetime is 1 in 6250 (estimated lifespan of 80 years)
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    1. I would let the police know if you really felt it was suspicious. Maybe they could make more drives around. Whether you are running or if you are visiting a grave alone, suspicious behavior is suspicious behavior. The best deterrent is to be aware and report anything that needs to be reported,

2. As for your choice of locations, I worked in a beautiful old cemetery years ago and we welcomed people to enjoy the grounds. To us, it was not a place to mourn, but a beautiful place to enjoy. People would come to have lunch on a bench, take pictures, go for a walk (this was before running was very popular) etc. In many countries, the cemetery is a place to go to enjoy your visit with the departed. You can take a blanket and a picnic and make it a family outing. Unless the cemetery has restrictions about biking or running posted at the gate, you are fine. What a better way to visit a place of death, than to enjoy life!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    1. I would let the police know if you really felt it was suspicious. Maybe they could make more drives around. Whether you are running or if you are visiting a grave alone, suspicious behavior is suspicious behavior. The best deterrent is to be aware and report anything that needs to be reported,

2. As for your choice of locations, I worked in a beautiful old cemetery years ago and we welcomed people to enjoy the grounds. To us, it was not a place to mourn, but a beautiful place to enjoy. People would come to have lunch on a bench, take pictures, go for a walk (this was before running was very popular) etc. In many countries, the cemetery is a place to go to enjoy your visit with the departed. You can take a blanket and a picnic and make it a family outing. Unless the cemetery has restrictions about biking or running posted at the gate, you are fine. What a better way to visit a place of death, than to enjoy life!

^^I agree with both these statements.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options

One in six women gets zapped by lighting?

I don't know if truly one in six women who run get attacked (or have been), but with the number of women runners multiplied by the number of times they go out and run, I would probably guess that they should be more concerned with getting hit by a car (while lightning is real, I'll be germane to common running dangers). I'm not able to find any stats, so maybe it's not easily tracked or maybe it's insignificant considering most murders/rapes are committed by the ones who know their attackers rather than random guy hiding behind a bush.

Some common sense considerations that don't involve carrying weaponry would be to be vigilant of your surroundings (as in no headphones, be looking around), run with a partner, have some sort of live-tracking GPS, or to just know the area you will be running in and let someone know.