Just can't get the food right

Options
mjbself
mjbself Posts: 15 Member
So, I basically obsess over what food I am eating everyday. Its an unnatural side affect of tracking calories in a journal. I took the Jillian Michael's Oxidizer test and I came out as Balanced - Go figure, I like everything!! (Almost)

I adjusted MFP daily recommendations to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. I also track my sugar because I have been on the border of pre-diabetic for over a year and half, so I like to watch my intake. I just can't seem to make it work with these percentages. I am not a meat person. Don't get me wrong, I love a steak every now and again, but meat three times a day makes me feel blah.

So - my dilema:
- I still go over on the carbs eating just natural carbs. I limit actual bread or grain or pretzels to once a day if that - I really do miss my spelt pretzels. I sometime really just need crunch and salt.
- Can't get enough protein in even eating 3oz at lunch and dinner as well as all the protein that comes from yogurt, nuts, etc.
- Can't get enough calcium - I could probably make my smoothies with milk, but they are already around 300 cal or more from fruit and veggies.
- Usually don't eat enough calories either, but some days I feel stuffed from the pounds of veggies I am eating. Like 6 servings a day not including fruit.

Any ideas on how to get more calcium and protein without adding 500 calories in nuts? I like nuts, but 200 calories for 2 tbsp of PNB isn't justifiable in my head.

I am on a 1200 calorie diet.

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Beans and dairy for protein. If your fat is high, maybe low fat dairy. I mean dietary fat.....lol
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    beans , eggs tofu almond milk
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    For calcium, use unsweetened almond milk in your smoothies.
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you are doing 1200? Because increasing your calories a bit, if you can do it and still have a deficit, would allow you to eat some more protein-rich but higher calorie food. You say you have trouble even eating the 1200 calories you have allotted for yourself, but then you say 200 calories for peanut butter isn't "justifiable." Why not? You say you "could probably make my smoothies with milk, but they are already around 300 cal or more from fruit and veggies"- but if you need the calcium and have calories to spare, why is that a problem?

I find it hard to get enough protein too, and I struggle to keep my carbs in a reasonable range. So I understand where you are coming from with that. But I think you need to allow for some higher calorie foods that will meet your other nutritional requirements. It's all about balance.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you are doing 1200? Because increasing your calories a bit, if you can do it and still have a deficit, would allow you to eat some more protein-rich but higher calorie food. You say you have trouble even eating the 1200 calories you have allotted for yourself, but then you say 200 calories for peanut butter isn't "justifiable." Why not? You say you "could probably make my smoothies with milk, but they are already around 300 cal or more from fruit and veggies"- but if you need the calcium and have calories to spare, why is that a problem?

I find it hard to get enough protein too, and I struggle to keep my carbs in a reasonable range. So I understand where you are coming from with that. But I think you need to allow for some higher calorie foods that will meet your other nutritional requirements. It's all about balance.

Everything about this is correct and I completely agree with it. 1200 calories, frankly, is no way to live.

I'm a big advocate for keeping your protein levels high to prevent the loss of lean body mass, which is everything except fat (and you're trying to lose just the fat.) You don't have to eat more meat if you don't like it, but nonfat dairy will help, supplements will help, eggs and egg whites will help. You can also make better choices. If your yogurt isn't greek, it should be. Choose peanuts and pistachios over other nuts like pecans and cashews.

Actually I think in general, lowfat or nonfat dairy is really what you need to be adding in, since your calcium is also low and you'll get more protein from it.

There's nothing to be afraid of going over on any of your macros, so don't sweat it.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian (lacto-ovo, but cutting back on dairy). I really like PB2 - powdered peanut butter. You can add it to oatmeal, smoothies, mix with water & dip apples or celery... I've tried, & can't get to 30% protein on my daily calories (1340) but I'm happy if I can get to 20%. I do some toning/light lifting with hand weights hoping to at least retain what muscle I do have until I'm closer to my goal weight.

I also use a vegetarian supplement, but only about 1/3 scoop/day in a smoothie.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I am not for or against 1200 calorie meal plans. However, I won't accept this number simply because MFP generated it for me. You didn't mentioned the amount of activity and weekly weight loss goal. MFP sets the calories to 1200 for "Sedentary" which is for people who don't exercise at all. Unless you are stuck in a bed or wheelchair then you are at least "Lightly Active". If you have 50 lbs. or less to lose, consider doing 1lb. or 1.5lbs a week instead of 2, if that is your setting. This way you'll have more calories to eat and can meet your calcium and protein amounts.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Any ideas on how to get more calcium and protein without adding 500 calories in nuts? I like nuts, but 200 calories for 2 tbsp of PNB isn't justifiable in my head.

You say you can't hit your calorie goal, so this statement makes no sense to me??
  • mjbself
    Options
    Thanks for the information!! I know 1200 seems low, but right now I am just starting to do exercise like running and cardio in total 3 days a week. I was using 1200 because my resting calories was around 1150. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, I am trying to get healthier and maintain a weight between 120 -125, otherwise it sits in the belly and thighs. I know that as I get more active, I will need to up my calories.

I am really just trying to figure out how to visually get the meals right, but still be able to enjoy the other things every once in a while like pretzels and a cookie.

Thanks for all the info - its great.
  • mjbself
    Options
    I just don't want to be eating pounds of nuts everyday. I need variety or I get bored and resort back to junky food.
  • MrsRatfire
    MrsRatfire Posts: 102
    Options
    1200 is really small. Whey Protein is fantastic for protein. I was amazed how much energy it gives you and is worth the calories to me! I am using the NOW brand Isolate. Love it. One time per day really helps me a lot. As you keep your calories so slim- check into the amount of Protein for a 1/2 of a scoop. Calcium: Silk Almond Milk- Unflavored-Unsweetened. I LOVE this stuff! It is only 30 calories a cup and higher in calcium than any form of dairy milk. I have taken calcium magnesium supplements for MANY years. I would add those for sure. Not many people should go without those. Muscles and Bones are both highly dependent on these minerals. Best of all- calcium is cheap!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    protein: lean meats, whole eggs, dairy, legumes (beans, peanuts) and other nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocado, soy products, even some grains and veggies. Many of these are also calorie dense so they will help you reach your daily calorie goal without having to eat a large volume.

calcium: broccoli, spinach, kale, sesame seeds, chia seeds, oranges, quinoa, legumes, dried fruits, nuts

Not trying to be snarky here but...if the problem is that you're getting too many carbs from fruits/veg and getting really full eating them so you can't eat more protein sources, I would think the obvious solution is to change up the balance - eat less fruits/veg, eat more protein. Problem solved.
  • MrsRatfire
    MrsRatfire Posts: 102
    Options
    I just read this one. You are exercising- running and cardio. It is essential you have enough calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium or you will have muscle spasms, and worse. That was the magic behind gator aid- electrolytes. YOur muscles, including your heart, cannot contract or relax without calcium and magnesium. Take them. It really is not safe to exercise in nutrient deficiency. Sadly enough, many people have died doing this that were in great shape.