NEW Stronger, Better, Faster, Challenge

Options
Hello all.

Welcome to the new stronger, better, faster challenge. We come up with personal goals and post every day (whoever is up first, creates that day's post). Anyone is welcome to join us. This challenge will end October 1st, about 8 weeks from now - when we will start a new challenge. I post both my planned exercise for the coming day and the previous day's exercise, since I do not exercise early in the day. Many people post that day's exercise; whichever method you choose is fine. Many of us have "charts" on the refrigerator (think elementary school) that we check off a weeks worth of goals. This is a great method to keep you motivated, and you get a reward for each week you fill in. Let's get started!

My goals for the next 8 weeks are:

1. Lose weight. This is the first time it's my #1 goal. I haven't lost since May and it's time to lose. Inches or pounds are fine, preferably both. I plan on losing 5 lbs by October 1.
2. Yoga - at least 2x a week, but will move to 3x a week (or 3 hours worth)
3. Strength training 2x a week (2 hours worth)
4. Only 1 dessert a week. I've been back sliding on this lately
5. Nine servings of fruits/veggies a day. I've been doing this this past week and it's really easy for me. Maybe because it requires eating food rather than cutting back.
6. Some different (not walking or elliptical) cardio once each week and moving up to twice a week

Hope you can join us for this challenge, and, as always, happy workouts!

Mary

ps
So sadly, I gained the 1 lb back that I lost in the last challenge, sigh. I did get to use a Cybex machine yesterday, so that was fun. Today I'm teaching yoga and going to strength class. Maybe some machine at the fancy gym I teach at.

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Hello all.

Welcome to the new stronger, better, faster challenge. We come up with personal goals and post every day (whoever is up first, creates that day's post). Anyone is welcome to join us. This challenge will end October 1st, about 8 weeks from now - when we will start a new challenge. I post both my planned exercise for the coming day and the previous day's exercise, since I do not exercise early in the day. Many people post that day's exercise; whichever method you choose is fine. Many of us have "charts" on the refrigerator (think elementary school) that we check off a weeks worth of goals. This is a great method to keep you motivated, and you get a reward for each week you fill in. Let's get started!

My goals for the next 8 weeks are:

1. Lose weight. This is the first time it's my #1 goal. I haven't lost since May and it's time to lose. Inches or pounds are fine, preferably both. I plan on losing 5 lbs by October 1.
    2. Yoga - at least 2x a week, but will move to 3x a week (or 3 hours worth)
    3. Strength training 2x a week (2 hours worth)
    4. Only 1 dessert a week. I've been back sliding on this lately
    5. Nine servings of fruits/veggies a day. I've been doing this this past week and it's really easy for me. Maybe because it requires eating food rather than cutting back.
    6. Some different (not walking or elliptical) cardio once each week and moving up to twice a week

Hope you can join us for this challenge, and, as always, happy workouts!

Mary

ps
    So sadly, I gained the 1 lb back that I lost in the last challenge, sigh. I did get to use a Cybex machine yesterday, so that was fun. Today I'm teaching yoga and going to strength class. Maybe some machine at the fancy gym I teach at.
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    I am up for your challange!

My goals for the next 8 weeks:

Gym Everyday!

Mon-Wed-Fri
    one hour free weights, one hour cardio

Tue-Thu-Sat
    two hour cardio

Log food everyday and lose at a minimum 2lbs per week.

So possibly lose 16lbs or more in 8 weeks.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I hope to lose 8lbs by then. I will go a pound a week at the least. I will try to burn 300cals a day by doing the 30 day shred, or tae bo, stationary bike, anything. Most important to control my eating at all times.
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    Yes I am on board.

I also have not really lost any weight at all and am looking for weight, inches, feeling lighter, stronger, something!!!

1. Stay within Calories and plan food ahead of time when at all possible.
    2. Set up realistic workout/yoga plan and stick with it.
    3. Start meditating again.
    4. Plan rewards!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Yay! A new start, just in time for my return from my non-exercising terrible eating trip last week. Let's just say I will never combine not working out and traveling again. Yesterday, I felt terrible. I will say that I've never been so excited about a workout in my life as I am about today's Yoga class, so that's positive!

So, my goals for the new challenge are:
    still a seven-day workout schedule, but have a "lighter" day twice a week. (Thursday just cardio and Saturday just weights)

So: M/W/F: bikram
    T/R: spinning (or comparable cardio)
    T/Sat: weights
    Sun: dance.

My other goals are plenty of water, my vits and really watching my nutrition "balances", trying to keep my protein/carbs/fat in better balance. Also, I'm on the one desert/treat a week train.

After the eight weeks, I'm going to get another "fitness asessment" at my gym. My goal is to have dropped a body fat % point by then. Weight/inches loss would be bonus!

Welcome, new challengers, and happy workouts to all!:flowerforyou:
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    right i'm up for it, if you'll let me

goal - lose 22lbs by October 20th (bday)

Mon through to fridayFri - work *3 hours cleaning (includes alot of walking:sick: )

Sunday - 1hr walk, 1/2 hour weights, 1/2hr karate, 1/2hr yoga, 1/2hr general workout (sit-ups, lunges, push-ups etc.)
    Tuesday - 1hr walk, 1 dance, 1/2hr yoga
    Saturday - 2X1hr walks, 1 hour dance,

*i dont go to a gym yet, so all this is done at home... any advice for a newbie at yoga?
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hello...I would like to join the SBF Challenge too :smile:

My goals over the next 8 weeks:

Plan and eat 6 small meals a day. *Include a daily soy protein smoothie with fresh fruit.

Drink 8 glasses of water a day...refill (4) 16 oz. bottles each morning.
    (I am :embarassed: to say I rarely meet 64 oz. each day)

Yoga 5x wk - Strength Train 5x wk - Walk in morning 3x week - Stationary Bike in Evening 5x week

Complete 100 pushup challenge wks 4-6 MODIFIED on my knees.... then repeat all 6 wks doing REGULAR pushups working toward 100.

Post visual map of 8 weeks including rewards.

My Reward System: Week 1: One $15 Itunes card
    2: Two heavier hand weights
    3: Borrow three books of my choice from the library.
    4: Rent and watch four of my favorite movies this week.
    5: Buy 5 boxes of different teas I have never tried.
    6: Capture the sunrise or sunset six times on film.
    7: Purchase and share a fine bottle of wine from 200(7).
    8: Buy a new bathing suit for my "figure 8" bod.

~Namaste :flowerforyou:

~Mi
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    Hi all & welcome newbies! It's great to see some new "faces". :flowerforyou:

My goals for this challenge will be to lose these four pounds to get to my goal weight. The end of this challenge will make it one year since I started my lifestyle change so being at my goal will be GREAT:drinker: I'm not bored with Turbo Jam yet so I think I'll stick with that for another month & then restart the Shred video. I also need to be more disciplined with taking my vitamins. I will also walk more as soon or if the rain ever stops.

My husband was hugging me last night & told me he thought I had gone "far enough" cause my ribs are sticking out? I think he said it cause my boobs AREN'T! It's always the first thing I lose so they have been gone almost a year & I'm thinking he misses them:embarassed:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

*i dont go to a gym yet, so all this is done at home... any advice for a newbie at yoga?

Three words: Rodney Yee videos. :wink:
  • natalie424
    natalie424 Posts: 320
    Options
    Today was weigh in day... and I'm so excited....:bigsmile: 4 lbs. lost :bigsmile: ... bringing my total since joining MFP on June 23 to 14 lbs. Because of exercise, I am beginning to see some muscle defintion. YAY! I know that being a part of this group really helped keep my motivation strong. Thanks for the encouragement.

My goals for this new SBF challenge are...
    --Lose 11 lbs. (that will bring my total to 25 lbs.)
    --Exercise daily (walking, stationary bike, pilates, Shred & BL dvds)
    --Eat healthy foods within my allowed calories
    --Drink a minimum of 64 oz. of water daily
    --Take a multivitamin daily
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Viviakay, Julie, and I are all hitting our year mark soon. Wow. Next time someone asks, well what did you have to eat for dinner this time last year, I can answer them :laugh:
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    Oh! I love this idea and want to join in, too.

Here are my goals for Oct 1:

1. Lose 10 pounds
    2. Lose 6 inches from waist, hips, thighs
    3. Exercise every single day
    4. Treadmill every day
    5. Strength training 3 or 4 days each week
    6. Really push that water (I've been slacking lately)
    7. Breakfast every morning ~ NO EXCUSES!!!
    8. NO ALCOHOL ~ NO EXCEPTIONS!!!

Here are my motivations:

1. Healthier me inside; happier me outside
    2. That great red dress I want to wear to a special dinner in mid-Oct
    3. I really want to drop 2 dress sizes by my birthday in mid-Nov
    4. I keep talking the talk but I gotta walk the walk with this fitness piece
    5. Working towards my goal (125#) for June 2009 and the big reunion

Loved the previous posts about incentives. I need really frequent reinforcement so I'll have to think about how to make it work for me but I love the concept . . .

Thanks for starting this! Thrilled to be part of it!:happy:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Hi guys - I would love to join your challenge. Here are my goals for October 1:

1. Lose 10 pounds (my baseline weigh-in will be tomorrow)
    2. Exercise 5 times a week for at least 30 minutes - this was my goal earlier in the year, and I kept up for a while, but slacked off during July
    3. 100 Pushup Challenge (waves at Lavender)
    4. Jog once a week (I HATE running), working up to 30 minutes straight
    5. Several of you mentioned vitamins, so I will add this one as well - take my daily multivitamin. :grumble: I have the bottle and just never end up taking the stupid horse pill. But I really should.

I think that is plenty for now! Today, I was REALLY tired but still dragged my butt to the gym for 35 minutes on the elliptical. And I did my pushups. So I am proud of myself. Now I really need to stop watching gymnastics and go to bed... :yawn:
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump for Courtneywhite
  • AlisonMCross
    AlisonMCross Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm in too,
    My goals are:
    1. to loose 10lbs by Oct 1st. - resulting in loosing one dress size.
    2. Strength training 3 times a week - resulting in inches lost
    3. intense cardio 3 times a week - resulting in being able to take the Body Attack class at Goodlife and not be terrified that I'm going to keel over.
    4. eat less processed foods and more fresh homemade meals. - resulting in healthier meals and education on what is being put in my body.
    5. Only eat out once every other week. - again to control what I am putting in my body.
    6. Drink more water - flush out my system.