Weighing Raw vs Cooked Meats

Options
How do you calculate raw vs cooked weight of meats into MFP? I notice most entries don't differentiate, but on the ones that do, there is a big difference. For example: my 4oz lean stew beef raw shows 140 calories, and another cooked shows 340 calories. I weighed it raw & it was a very small amount of meat- definitely not 340 calories worth. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering this myself and look forward to replies by those more knowledgeable than you or I :smile:
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the Same!
  • wazert
    wazert Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump
    Would like to know as well
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. On the back of some supermarket bought steaks, especially the expensive cuts, they always put the raw on the back and the cooked (in the most preferred) method on the front. But I always think this makes no sense, since I am likely to cook it differently, or use a different type of oil or grill it etc...
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Do you have the package and the MFP smart phone app? Scan it and it will give you the exact amount.
    If you don't, I would use google to try and find it if you know the brand.
    If neither of those work, always use the higher amount
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Most of the nutrition labels I see are based on cooked amounts, which want the database will also say.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Weigh the uncooked meat, then weigh it cooked. Do this a few times to find a ratio. It can be tough when putting meat in a casserole or something, but that's why it's important to find out the ratio so you can use math to help.

Personally I do my best to weigh my meat after it is cooked.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate raw vs cooked weight of meats into MFP? I notice most entries don't differentiate, but on the ones that do, there is a big difference. For example: my 4oz lean stew beef raw shows 140 calories, and another cooked shows 340 calories. I weighed it raw & it was a very small amount of meat- definitely not 340 calories worth. Thanks for the help!

for one thing, 4 oz of cooked meat started out as more than 4oz raw. Also, some database entries are just plain wrong. I try to weigh and use pre-cooked whenever possible as I'd rather "charge" myself for some of the fat that gets cooked off than accoubt for too little cause of cooking differences
  • kikif617
    kikif617 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I weigh my meats after it has been cooked. Not sure if that's right, but that's the way I do it.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I weigh my meat when it's raw. When you search for the MFP entry, type in "raw" after the description. If you still can't find it, check the USDA's website for the raw nutritional info.