PCOS and Cinnamon-Who's Trying It

Options
So, I was diagnosed with PCOS and Cushing's Syndrome well over 6 months ago and have been on metformin ever since. I have been taking CLA to try and help with fat burning and while successful at first, I have seen the effects wear off a bit. After doing some research, I thought I would try taking cinnamon supplements to help regulate blood sugar. The curious thing though, is every blood test I have (which is once a month due to Rheumatoid Arthritis - my liver has to be checked constantly), my blood sugar is perfect.

I was just wondering if there are any other PCOS gals out there that have tried cinnamon supplements and if you have seen any changes/effects/results.

Replies

• JillSymes
    JillSymes Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi
    I too have PCOS since 18 yrs old, I also have Type 1 diabetes which is insulin dependent. I currently take metformin, cla and cinnamon and have for about 2 months. I'm due for hba1c test and i'm hoping it will show that my bm levels are down compared to last time. Nature isn't on our side when it comes to weight managment and i've always struggled but with the support and help from mfp i'm getting there slowly. Keep up the good work and i'll let you know my if my test results show and improvement.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the response. I'm hoping others will respond to this thread (it so sucks having this issue) but if others are having success (or failure) it would be cool to compare notes.

Which CLA are you taking?? I am taking the CLA from Max Muscle. Are you taking a different kind? If so, what and/if or are the affects/effects?
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow PCOS folks! Nice to meet someone else with it, though I wish none of us had to deal with it. I hadn't heard about cinnamon. I am on Yasmin (birth control) to regulate my hormones - I haven't had a cyst since I started it and my periods have gotten a ton less painful. Yasmin has an anti-androgen component that is supposed to help with PCOS and PMDD. Lowering the androgen levels is supposed to help with weight loss too.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow PCOS folks! Nice to meet someone else with it, though I wish none of us had to deal with it. I hadn't heard about cinnamon. I am on Yasmin (birth control) to regulate my hormones - I haven't had a cyst since I started it and my periods have gotten a ton less painful. Yasmin has an anti-androgen component that is supposed to help with PCOS and PMDD. Lowering the androgen levels is supposed to help with weight loss too.

Interesting! I will talk with my Dr about this. We have a running joke (which is kinda sad if you think about it) but if my fiance and I ever want to get pregnant, there will be two daddies....the Rheumatologist and the actual dad!!.

After review of my ultrasound from the GYN/OB, the Rheumy, and the GenDoc, there is no way on G*d's Green Earth I could get pregnant. However, the L*rd works in mysterious ways. But, my hormones are super-mega out of whack. I am 31 y/o. My cramps and hot flashes are HORRIBLE!!! I seriously sweat in an igloo!!! I cannot maintain an ample amount of tampons (this varies per month....sorry if there are any men reading this thread), and I vary bra sizes by the day!!!

Is this normal with PCOS??
  • JillSymes
    JillSymes Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi I was lucky enough to get pregant just once at 19, my daughter is now 25 so there is hope. I used to be on Dianette which was great as it controlled my hirsutism but since my hysterectomy (they left my ovaries??) i have been unable to take it and have to resort to daily shaving :-(. But i guess i'm used to having to do it but it still bothers me and i can't afford to have laser treatment and am allergic to creams etc. The cla I take is 1000mg twice daily and the cinnamon is 200mg twice daily also plus i take St Johns Wort for mood swings and all these i get from Healthspan.
  • skg54
    skg54 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS before they knew much about it. But Jill S. I wonder why they left your ovaries. When I had my hysterectomy, the doctor said that the cysts on the ovaries could turn cancerous. I did develop colon cancer later in life, and they were going to do a full hysterectomy as a preventative measure when I had my colon surgery but I had a total one earlier. I would ask a different doctor if your risk of cancer later is greater leaving them in. I am not trying to alarm you, but I learned the hard way about cancer and I would not want anyone else to go through what I went through.
  • momoneka
    momoneka Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but it sounds like I should