Which scale is more trustworthy?

Options
I just bought a new scale. The new scale says I weigh 180 while the scale I was using, which was a scale at the pharmacy, which is kind of old said I was 172. So which scale should I trust? I mean, the new scale, I got that for a few dollars.

Replies

• prima073
    prima073 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The one where you way less! ;-)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Take a weight/dumbell (whatever you have) put it on both scales. The one that says the same amount as what you put on it is correct.
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I own a Weight Watchers digital scale. I don't trust doctor's scales, whether they're the tall monsters that sway back and forth or similar to a bathroom model. If it's in a doctor's office and they ordered it in there, I don't trust it. They make you about 5 pounds more than what you are. :grumble:
  • Angold83
    Angold83 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My doctors scales say I am about 5lb less...
  • sdeloris37
    sdeloris37 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap bathroom scale. I tried it out in the store with my coat and everything on, of course, and it said 160. When I got it home, it said 180. I weighed myself in the bathroom since it's the flattest surface in the house. Now, I'm confused. At the pharmacy, I checked today, it said I was still 172. Scales can mess you up. I believe it now. lol
  • eyleene
    eyleene Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I own a Weight Watchers digital scale. I don't trust doctor's scales, whether they're the tall monsters that sway back and forth or similar to a bathroom model. If it's in a doctor's office and they ordered it in there, I don't trust it. They make you about 5 pounds more than what you are. :grumble:

funny that

I bought a weight watchers digital ( cheap version ) and i reckon it puts about 2 kilos ( roughly 5 lbs ) on . I actually sat it next to my mums one and stepped from mine to hers and back again . i have found the one at the gym , the doctor , the chemist and my Wii board are all reasonably similar but not that one .
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Never trust a scale. They're lying *kitten* the lot of 'em
  • sdeloris37
    sdeloris37 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Never trust a scale. They're lying *kitten* the lot of 'em

LOL. You're right.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I trust my electronic body fat scale less than my mechanical, but when I stepped on each with then without a 5 lb. plate in my hand, they both got it exactly right.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Use an unopened bag of flour/sugar. The one that matches the weight on the bag is the more accurate one.

However I totally agree that scales are evil and plot against us. As such I firmly believe the tape measure is a true friend with your best interests at heart!

An extra tip is to use cm rather than inch measurements as they count down quicker :)
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I find the trick is to pick one scale and stick with it. They are not so good at accurate weight measurement. But they are really good at telling difference. As long as you are weighing yourself on the same scale all the time and it isn't terrible or anything It will be a fairly good way to tell if you are losing or gaining. It just might not have your actual weight dead on the money.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

If i didnt trust my doctors scale, i wouldnt trust my doctor either. they use that scale to figure out treatments, dosages etc. my doctors offices scale is calibrated by the main hospital every week. and my eatsmart scale is pretty close to his.