Mirena IUD and weight gain?

Options
2»

Replies

• RomulanWarbird
    Options
    I love my mirena. I've had it for two years and initially I struggled with cravings, but after a while my body settled down and went back to it's usual schedule. If I gained weight it was for not being healthy. I've lost weight and I have mirena. I think a lot of people would rather attribute their gains to something other than bad habits.
  • SelfLoveMamma
    Options
    I had Mirena put in a few years ago, within a few weeks i noticed I had a lot of PMS symptoms(irritability, cravings, cramps and fatigue) After a month or so I started to have joint pain(I was only 23 years old) I was having issues climbing our stairs and always seemed out of breath. I didn't gain any weight however. I ended up getting it removed shortly after because I felt my symptoms were getting worse. I ended up getting the hormone free paragaurd and I LOVE IT! i think the hormones were making me crazy!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Love it. Only gained weight when I ate too much.
  • harriettink
    Options
    Contraception in itself won't make you gain weight. The only 'weight' you gain will be through water retention, unless you experience extra cravings and eat more. I think Mirena is great: no periods, I have clearer skin and no contraception worries!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I am a women's health nurse and we do a lot of Mirena's and Copper IUD's in my clinic. I have never heard of anyone complaining about weight gain.

I look at it the same way as other issues - I have an under active thyroid. Sure it can cause weight gain, but I will never blame my weight issues on that... I blame it on the way I ate, like others have said.

I think you will be fine!
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    There is no research that proves Mirena causes weight gain. People just like to blame anything and anyone but themselves for their weight gain. I have had Mirena for almost a year and never gained a pound from it.
  • SelfLoveMamma
    Options
    I had Mirena put in a few years ago, within a few weeks i noticed I had a lot of PMS symptoms(irritability, cravings, cramps and fatigue) After a month or so I started to have joint pain(I was only 23 years old) I was having issues climbing our stairs and always seemed out of breath. I didn't gain any weight however. I ended up getting it removed shortly after because I felt my symptoms were getting worse. I ended up getting the hormone free paragaurd and I LOVE IT! i think the hormones were making me crazy!
  • lecounth
    lecounth Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist thought I may be having a hard time losing weight because I was on Depo Provera. Went the Mirena route and I was able to lose. I could kick myself for not doing it sooner just because it's soooo much easier than remembering to make a shot appt. every 12 weeks (which isn't 3 months, fyi).