Too much protein??

Options
Is too much protein a bad thing? I've been over lately. Mostly good protein though. For instance today it is from alot of lean chicken breast meat in my dinner.

Replies

• 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I'm a carb counter, so over in Protein is good for me!! LOL
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Well, you can eat too much protein and it can damage a healthy person's kidneys.

It's about 600g a day. If you already have kidney damage then I understand you shouldn't eat more than around 50g a day but I might be wrong - ask your doc.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much protein! Unless it's all you eat, then you'll get scurvy. I'm always "over" myself, which is fine with me.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Unless you are insanely over all the time you are probably fine. If you notice any unpleasant side affects (constipation for one), cut back a little. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I've heard we need to drink more water when we increase protein intake to prevent kidney stones.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Is too much protein a bad thing? I've been over lately. Mostly good protein though. For instance today it is from alot of lean chicken breast meat in my dinner.

There's no such thing as "good" protein and "bad" protein -- it's all the same.

I lift and eat a lot of protein. It's not bad for you -- it helps repair and build muscle. You are unlikely to consume "too much" of it, but as a previous poster mentioned, with anything, there's always some amount that is "too much."
  • jonlfischer
    jonlfischer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    you would probably have to consume an insane amount of protein to be considered too much. I myself shoot for 250-300g per day but thats me. Everybody is different.
  • bacon_bacon_bacon
    bacon_bacon_bacon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    How many grams are we talking about here? I find it really hard to over do protein even when I eat it 6 times a day.
  • Ramen237
    Ramen237 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Who are you people?! I *always* have trouble eating enough protein in a given day. My goal is 20%, but some days 15%-ish is all I can manage.
  • mommasboy3
    mommasboy3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm doing hi protein lo carbs. It's working for me. :flowerforyou:
  • detarrevo
    detarrevo Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks for posting about this, I've been having trouble not going over on protein myself and was getting curious.
    Now that I know I won't be so harsh on myself :)
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    <
    I am getting in about 130-157 grams a day and as you can see by my profile picture.....it's working for me. I would eat more if I could eat more often during the day.
  • bakercynthia
    Options
    I'm new here, and pretty much at my ideal weight, but due to an ankle injury been sidelined from the gym and hiking, so I decided calorie counting might be helpful so I don't overeat. I'm a vegetarian (occasional pescatarian), so getting enough protein without going over carbs takes conscious thought. I'm surprised to see that this site recommends 72 grams of protein, as opposed to the normal 46 for women. Am I overlooking something?
    Thanks!