Down 37 pounds but don't feel successful?

Options
I started at 240. Yesterday my weight was 203. That's pretty awesome right? Yet I feel like a fat cow still. I have so much more to go. I feel like a failure still.....

Am I alone in my feelings? I'm glad for the loss, but I also am ashamed that I got so fat I have 63 pounds to lose still!!!

Replies

• amysgottadothisthang
    amysgottadothisthang Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself! Take it in small steps, set goals and celebrate when you hit them! I do know what you mean......I have lost 35# since Sept 2013.....I have to keep reminding myself that it is faster to lose weight with unhealthy diet plans but those plans are not life long. Eating well and exercising is THE way to do it .....slow and steady wins the race :flowerforyou:
  • fatsmaher
    fatsmaher Posts: 19
    Options
    Look at old pictures.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Look at old pictures.
    I agree - take a new picture and look at it beside and old one.

You are doing awesome - and no, you are not alone! Women are their worst enemy - we are conditioned to not be happy with ourselves - Love who you are and be proud of what you've accomplished so far!
  • BookAngel_a
    BookAngel_a Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    What the others said. Do you have a before picture? Take a picture today and look at them side by side. Are there clothes in your closet that are too big now? Or clothes that fit you now that were tight before? Is it easier to walk around, go up steps, cross your legs, etc? Try to find all of the small things that you have achieved so far and think about those for a while. Hopefully that will help you feel better. I know it can be overwhelming - I have a long way to go too!
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Don't be so down on yourself, I've only lost 18 lbs and haven't been able to fit into new clothes, but I can pull my jeans off without unbuttoning them. Lol. I consider this progress. Give your self a break, as people say you didn't gain it over night. I think your doing great.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I started at 240. Yesterday my weight was 203. That's pretty awesome right? Yet I feel like a fat cow still. I have so much more to go. I feel like a failure still.....

Am I alone in my feelings? I'm glad for the loss, but I also am ashamed that I got so fat I have 63 pounds to lose still!!!

First, good on you for those 37 pounds gone! Second, who said you have to lose another 63? If I would go by " the charts" I'm supposed to weigh anyway from 160 to 172 (depending on the chart). Believe me I tried on at least 4 occasions (with WW) to get there. Each time I would plateau for months and then just get so discouraged I gave up. My doctor and I set a goal for me that I know I can achieve AND maintain. Will I be model thin? No. Will I be happy with my success and fitness level? YES! I know that this approach is not for everyone and we all need to bear in mind that weight loss is one of the personal things we can do. I hope this perspective helps you, good luck and happy life!
  • JoeMO
    JoeMO Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I always like the example of picking a 10 pound bag of potatoes. If you can do it, pick up 37 pounds of potatoes. Your body and heart is thanking you!! You should be proud of yourself and keep on keeping on. Stay the course.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I've always said, that it takes longer to fix the mental junk/heaviness, than the physical weight.
    I've lost 55lbs and I still have those days that I hate looking in the mirror. But it's a process, one you take day by day. You're doing awesome, keep it up.
  • mandy5135
    mandy5135 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not alone!!! Take pics. Lots of them. Last time I did this was about a year ago. I took a pic for every 10 lbs. and would line them up. You could see a difference in each and every one. And I bet your pants are a little easier to get on after 37lbs. So be proud of yourself :D
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    First, good on you for those 37 pounds gone! Second, who said you have to lose another 63? If I would go by " the charts" I'm supposed to weigh anyway from 160 to 172 (depending on the chart). Believe me I tried on at least 4 occasions (with WW) to get there. Each time I would plateau for months and then just get so discouraged I gave up. My doctor and I set a goal for me that I know I can achieve AND maintain. Will I be model thin? No. Will I be happy with my success and fitness level? YES! I know that this approach is not for everyone and we all need to bear in mind that weight loss is one of the personal things we can do. I hope this perspective helps you, good luck and happy life!

^^This! Yes! According to the health scale by the pharmacy I should be in the 120-145 range, but if I get any lower than 148 I lose my bodacious rack. Every body is different and you'll know where you're supposed to be when you get there. 37 is a lot and you should be proud. You're doing great!
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm right where you are too. I started at 263 and I'm down to 220 yet I feel like I look exactly the same...the same ugly blob...I just want to feel normal and pretty
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You are not alone.

It's a struggle and a process. I still feel that way sometimes even after 72 pounds. Especially when trying on a bathing suit under those harsh bright dressing room lights... lol. Sometimes I think it's even harder now than it was when I was at my largest, because now I'm always looking at my body in the mirror and finding things I want to improve.

But as others have said, take lots of pictures and compare yourself now to where you were when you started. The first time my weight loss really hit me was when I had lost about 35 pounds and someone pointed out how different my face looked compared to my old facebook pictures.

Keep going, and be patient with yourself! It gets better. :smile:
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    On my ticker it has the goal weight of 160. Now of course that weight still sets me at the "overweight" mark. BUT....it's a small goal. And once I reach that, I will adjust and reevaluate, and possibly lose more, or not. I say, take baby steps, have 15 lb goals, once reached, make another.
  • feliscatus84
    feliscatus84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone! I got down to 195lbs and then started having a meltdown that I still had way more to go. I got lazy and I got tired of trying. I gained all the weight I lost back plus an extra 20lbs. Please whatever you do, don't give up! Just push on through. You can do it! It is a long road, no denying that, but once you reach goal and can maintain it will be such an accomplishment. You will be able to look in the mirror and be proud that you did it. I have already lost 24lbs and I have a long way to go now but this time I'm gonna stick to it! Darn it! I am done with being overweight!
  • Spooky_Scully
    Spooky_Scully Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone! I think many of us are so used to thinking so little of ourselves, that we forget to work on our self-confidence and self-esteem when we work on our weight!

I wasn't very big to begin with, but I'm one of those people who don't carry weight well (I look flabby, not curvy - and I have big thighs and small boobs…so not fair hahah), and actually look bigger than the number on the scale should indicate. I have lost 12kg and I have gone from overweight to the mid area of healthy weight. I know I have come a long way and have achieved a lot (has taken me ages, though) but I feel that I have worked freaking hard and still don't look half as good as some of my friends who eat what they like and don't exercise.

I also work shift work (and a stressful job!), so my weight is constantly fluctuating and I bloat up from weird eating and sleeping patterns. I feel that I can't even let loose for one day, because I notice it in my clothes and face the next day due to water retention. All this moping aside, I am happier now and I would rather be where I am than where I was - but I do have days where I feel just as crappy about myself as I did when I was 12kg heavier. However, I know that if I were to throw in the towel, a year from now I would wish I had stuck with it.

Keep with it! The best thing I was ever told was "Do it because you love your body, not because you hate it". I repeat this to myself every day, and slowly I'm changing my thinking and being a bit kinder to myself mentally and physically!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I have felt that way pretty much the whole time. Until recently when my husband made me go to the store with him and pick up two of those 35lb kitty litter tubs and walk down the aisle and back with them. He did this after I lost 35 too. It really puts things in perspective. I suggest you do that next time you go to the store. 37lbs is a lot of weight. A way to help you along in appreciating your weight loss is to make sure you stop wearing the clothes that are too big for you. My husband also insisted I do this and I am so glad. When my stuff starts literally falling off of me he is like honey lets go get you some clothes. I find that thrift stores like goodwill(my favorite) or whatever is a great place to pick a piece or two as you go down in sizes. This way you aren't spending too much on something you may fit temporarily. You may be surprised at the new size you can now fit. I like to think of it as "renting their clothes" because when they get too big, I redonate so it is like recycling. Its better to think of it this way instead of the common thought of its a waste of money or I will buy new ones when I get to ____size.
    :flowerforyou: Be proud and also think of all the non scale victories you have overcome to lose all that weight. Great Job
  • 9bars
    9bars Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As above I went to our farm feeds shop today to try lifting what I had lost, those 20kg bags are heavy! Try it.

I started at 244 and made sure I had constant small goals and once I got under 200 The losses became more noticeable. Soon you will hit onederland that really is a fantastic feeling :)
  • iwillthistime1988
    iwillthistime1988 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thats exactly how much ive lost before I started here id only lost 5-lbs.im 5"8 and was 237 now im 201 .since im tall it only lools like ive lost 15-clothes still fit but a bit better not loose.I get discouraged when I see myself in the mirror because it doesnt look like 30 lbs.but then again I think thats y id gain sooo muuuchhh because u cant really tell.all I do is forget the mirror and look at the scale.very frustrating...but little by little we can do it.think how fast this last month went by and how fast ull be looking at another ,30 lost again.time willl pass weather we do something about it or not.think about u in the future saying I cant believe it am here.
  • bobbyguns
    bobbyguns Posts: 33
    Options
    That's an amazing amount of progress and weight lost! Think about how you'll feel and look once you've lost ANOTHER 37 lbs. As long as you are improving every day, week, month, etc., you're progressing.

Many times I think to myself "I'll never reach my goal by X date." But then I realize that as long as I reach that goal, the time frame is really irrelevant.

it might be beneficial to look at it as a whole life experience, not a short term fix. And enjoy the journey. Learn about nutrition, try new exercises, come up with new and fabulous recipes. Make your weight loss journey an enriching experience and you'll forget all about the destination; until one day you wake up and realize that you've made it! Good luck, and have fun!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    That is great work, celebrate every 20 lbs. and give yourself a pat on the back, then move on to the next 20.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!