best protein shake for weight loss?

Options
Im sure there is probably a thread for this already,

any body have input?

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes have nothing to do with weight loss. So...none?If you're struggling to reach your protein goals, then whatever one you like the taste of is fine.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    There's nothing that's specifically for weight loss. Protein shakes just make it easier for those on the go to hit their protein goal. If you can get your daily protein from other sources, you don't even need shakes.

I like Truein, Cellucor, and Optimum Nutrition protein powders. I mix them in my Greek yogurt or make protein pancakes. They don't taste too bad with milk, too.
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I know people do replace a meal with a protein shake, I think that's what the OP means? But I would just do a search for "Protein Shakes" or something and I'm sure you'll find some. I personally like to just drink my chocolate protein powder with some milk and it's pretty good :)
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    Actually there are tons of them specifically for weight loss. That's all those "meal replacement" shakes really are. Slim Fast, Ideal Protein, etc.

I was using protein shakes for meal replacements for like my first three weeks at breakfast and lunch. Still sometimes do. The only ones I've really tried though are BodyFortress and DesignerWhey. The BodyFortress is super cheap, tastes better, and has more protein but it's 170 calories a scoop. The DesignerWhey is a little more expensive, not as tasty, and less protein per scoop, but it's only 100 calories.
  • GingerPeachLass
    GingerPeachLass Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you need to supplement in order to raise your protein intake, Isopure is a good product.

"Nature's Best Isopure Zero Carb with 50 grams of Protein from 100% Whey Protein Isolate.Perfect Zero Carb Isopure contains 50 grams of 100% Whey Protein Isolate."

2 scoops is 1 serving, 210 calories per serving.

As for weight loss shakes, I like the flavor of American Bariatrics shakes and puddings. Only 100 calories per shake and 15 grams or protein.
  • VoodooSyxx
    Options
    Well of course. That's obvious. The shakes, at least for me, were just a good way to keep myself full on low calories until I learned a bit more about meal planning and cooking and things.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Actually there are tons of them specifically for weight loss. That's all those "meal replacement" shakes really are. Slim Fast, Ideal Protein, etc.

I was using protein shakes for meal replacements for like my first three weeks at breakfast and lunch. Still sometimes do. The only ones I've really tried though are BodyFortress and DesignerWhey. The BodyFortress is super cheap, tastes better, and has more protein but it's 170 calories a scoop. The DesignerWhey is a little more expensive, not as tasty, and less protein per scoop, but it's only 100 calories.
    You would still need a caloric deficit.

^This.

Just because it's labeled for weight loss as a gimmick to sell, doesn't give it some magical "weight loss" property.

You still need a calorie deficit, which is done very easily without them.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    Well of course. That's obvious. The shakes, at least for me, were just a good way to keep myself full on low calories until I learned a bit more about meal planning and cooking and things.

That's understandable and I can agree with this but there's this stigma with things that are targeted for weight loss that people honestly believe that's all they need is to add that in and BOOM ;P
  • VoodooSyxx
    Options

That's understandable and I can agree with this but there's this stigma with things that are targeted for weight loss that people honestly believe that's all they need is to add that in and BOOM ;P

Agreed. Eating Big Macs while washing it down with a meal replacement shake, not such a great idea :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I like Isopure (1/2 serving, 100 cal, 25 g protein) during my workout. No carbs added and it has a lot of potassium. For chocolate, I like BSN chocolate shake. I also love Manitoba Harvest Hemp proteins--good blend of fats/proteins and carbs.

I often throw them in the blender with some fruit, depending on my purpose. :)
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Agreed there are no magic weight loss shakes, but I do enjoy the occasional protein smoothie as a meal replacement after a workout :) I use Sun Warrior protein powder and toss it in the blender with a small amount of water, ice cubes, 1/2 a frozen banana, handful of greens. Sometimes experiment with frozen berries, chia seeds, PB2.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

You would still need a caloric deficit.

^This.

Just because it's labeled for weight loss as a gimmick to sell, doesn't give it some magical "weight loss" property.

You still need a calorie deficit, which is done very easily without them.

^ Yes. And, it's better to start learning meal planning and nutrition now.
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This really awesome one called "Caloric Deficit". Taste great too

I should have included more in this post. I dont eat meat ever maybe once every two weeks just dont like it and i run do much everyday i find i NEVER get enough calories from good places which in turn hinders weight loss!

Someone recommended i switch one of my meals to a shake to avoid my excess carb overload and expand my diet pAst veggies
  • honeyjasmine
    Options
    I use a shake as my breakfast meal replacement and it's working well for me. I can recommend the optimum nutrition protein powder as it's low in sugar and carbs...they do lots of different flavours too (I use double chocolate). I add 1 scoop to almond milk and add 1/2 banana, 1 tablespoon flaxseed, 1 teaspoon almond butter and a handful of oats, then blend all together. Tastes great.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    This really awesome one called "Caloric Deficit". Taste great too

I should have included more in this post. I dont eat meat ever maybe once every two weeks just dont like it and i run do much everyday i find i NEVER get enough calories from good places which in turn hinders weight loss!

Someone recommended i switch one of my meals to a shake to avoid my excess carb overload and expand my diet pAst veggies

Fish, dairy, tofu, beans and rice? You need to fix your diet
  • makelemonade14
    makelemonade14 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The Premier Protein shakes from Costco are drinkable. I've gotten used to them and they aren't so bad. I'm on a calorie deficit diet, and part of that is frequent small meals/snacks. Since I teach full time, I use the protein shake as a quick meal option. It's filling and gives me a major energy boost.