Best way to add more protein to diet

Options
I have been tracking my food for a little over a month now and noticed a trend in not even getting near the protein amount that MFP lists as my goal. I eat meat but small portions, I am not really fond of peanut butter occasionally I will put it on toast or an English muffin but that is it. I usually eat an oz of almonds each day, yogurt several times a week, I like eggs and eat them often just boiled sometimes scrambled several times a week. There was only one day this week that I made it close to the protein, because I ate 8 oz of salmon. I am frequently below my calorie amount for the day but the protein is way below. Should I try a protein supplement or something along that line, I do sometimes have a carnation breakfast shake but that is only 5 grams of protein, with the milk adding more. Maybe it is not something to worry about but I just noticed it when I looked at the graphs.

Replies

• verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Girl you do not need protein supplements.. you don't even need meat in order to meet your protein goal. Try to eat more dairy, eat beans, maybe try some tofu, just google it, there are tons of foods very high in protein.
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to get more protein from food, the following are good sources:

turkey breasts
    chicken breasts
    salmon
    tuna
    cottage cheese
    lean pork
    lean beef
    edamame/tofu
    legumes (other than peanuts)
    pumpkin/squash seeds (pepitas)

Mixing up a salad base of 1 can of tuna in water and 1/4 cup of cottage cheese will get you about 38 to 40 grams of protein for about 170 to 200 calories (depending on your brand preferences). You could do something similar with chicken or turkey breasts and get a bit more bang for your buck.

If you are interested in supplements, here are a few links that might offer you a bit more direction.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/protein-powder

http://www.leanitup.com/review-the-protein-bar-power-rankings-30-popular-bars-torn-apart-and-ranked/5/
  • Daman431
    Daman431 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try hemp protein powder
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has a lot of protein per serving. Cottage cheese is another good choice. I've also been snacking on beef or turkey jerky a lot lately, since it's 80 calories per ounce and has 13 or 14g of protein. As others have mentioned, lentils and beans are great ways to boost your protein, as is quinoa.

I made red peppers stuffed with quinoa and ground turkey this week, and a whole pepper had 38g of protein per serving and had 450 calories. Making sure I get enough protein is something I have to be mindful of, but I can do it most of the time now. I just try to get protein into every meal.