Favorite 400 calorie or less meals?

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Hmm.....

One of my favorites is the Spring Vegetable Couscous with Chicken from Martha....it only has about 377 calories per serving.

Oh! And her lightened up lasagna is 1/4 of an 8x8 pan and is only 469 calories.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Everyone's 400 calorie meals sound either like rabbit food to me or like tiny, frozen appetizers lol. I'm thinking like, sausage & cheese casseroles can be under 400 cals a serving if you use turkey/chicken sausage. A modified carbonara sauce can be 300-350 cals per serving... Asian stir fries with crunchy veggies, beef stew, meatballs & cheese in a whole wheat pita. Now I have to stop because I'm getting hungry lol.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    A piece of thin lean sirloin (called Palomilla in Spanish) sauteed with lots of onions and a side of veggies thrown in to soak up the seasonings (herbs, spices, some Sazon by Goya.)

Super yum. Does anyone cook anymore? Just asking.

Yep! Sure do! Most of my meals are under 400 calories. I cook, portion, freeze & label, I have about 6 pages of recipes I have done on my recipe builder. I like having a lot of variety. Check out my Diary to get an idea on meals. If you like :drinker:
  • Tabbycat54
    Tabbycat54 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    TACOS!!!!
    1 lb lean ground beef
    12 white corn tortillas
    4 oz Medium Cheddar (Tilamook)
    4 oz Monty Jack
    Brown the ground beef and season as you wish (seasoning really only adds calories if you're adding veggies. I only use salt, pepper and herbs/spices). The corn tortilla make your taco shells. You use canola oil across the bottom of your skillet. Wait until hot, then you take the tortilla and make them into taco shells. They're really tasty. (and I can't explain taco shells well...sorry XD)

Salsa (serves 100+)
    10 peppers of your choice (at least 5 jalapenos, I use 1 habanero, 2-3 serrano, 1-2 mini sweet)
    1 15oz can whole peeled tomatoes
    3-4 tbls of garlic (minced)

Pull the tops of the peppers off, boil the peppers for 10 minutes (or until they have that nice hot smell), throw everything else in a blender and you're done! (3 cals per serving, no joke!)

All together: 390 calories and serves 4 :)
  • Stacy_Merrell
    Stacy_Merrell Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would love the recipe for your crab dip and any shrimp recipes you're willing to share.
  • kimmiehorton
    kimmiehorton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, Amy's Kitchen has some tasty stuff, especially for those who are trying to do a gluten free diet. I love her gluten-free burrito - 240 calories and there is also an organic whole wheat black bean burrito -290 calories I think? I pair it with some tortilla chips and salsa, 4 tablespoons equal 20 calories I am around 390-440 calories.
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Chicken Gyro - Shred a rotisserie chicken from grocery store, put on a pita. Squeeze on a little lemon juice, add fresh thyme, tomato, onion, feta. Top with sauce - dill weed mixed in plain greek yogurt.

I still cook. I look for a new recipe every week. Keeps things from getting old.

I also second skinnytaste.com
  • cboelens
    cboelens Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • MerryForDean
    MerryForDean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's been mentioned a lot on this blog but skinnytaste.com. Haven't made anything I didn't like from there.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I figured out how to make fish tacos, after enjoying them in restaurants for the past couple of years. Many stores have fresh frozen individually packaged tilapia filets for around 5-6. I buy the fish taco spice, or just use chili powder and some garlic salt, cook the fish in olive oil in a nonstick pan, and then serve in either flour or corn taco/tortilla shells with the usual fixings -- lettuce, salsa, chopped tomato, with a 1/2 cup side of instant brown rice. Much less fattening that beef tacos, but satisfies that craving for Mexican food.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I can get an enormous amount of food making soups. Especially if you don't add rice, noodles or beans. Most of the time I take left over meat, dice up some vegetables, add some spices for flavor and let it simmer until veg are done. Also similarly, stir fries. Thin sliced meat, whatever veg(usually broccoli, onion and mushrooms) you want and a light sauce/gravy made with garlic, water, corn starch, and oyster sauce or soy sauce. My other go to is what I call a scramble. Eggs, whatever veg(usually green pepper and onion) and meat. I've used turkey sausage, roast beef, pastrami, ham and probably some others I'm not thinking of. I usually do the stir fries and scrambles with cooking spray but sometimes use evoo if I'm not concerned with the extra calories.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    My favorite right now is a Morningstar Farms Chipolte Blackbean Burger (190), 2 slices Healthy Life Bread (70), a slice of pepper jack cheese (80) and some Ott's Wing Sauce (20 Tbsp) or Horseradish Mustard for some kick. Throw in some veggies to get to 400 if you wish. Joe

That sounds really good - I exist on Morningstar 'stuff'! Thanks for the tip!
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Eggs are really versatile. I do an easy omelet --- 1 c egg whites + 1 c chopped red pepper + 2 chicken sausage links depending on calories. My version turns out to be around 270 calories (each sausage link is 50 cal). I add a banana for a total of 375ish calories.

1 can salmon (180) + 1-2 tbsp light honey mustard dressing (22-45) + salt and pepper + chopped/grated vegetables (25-55)

1 can Wild Planet tuna (225) + 1-2 tbsp light dressing (20-50) + chopped & roasted summer squash or zucchini and/or roasted carrots

3 HB eggs (210) + baby carrots (35) + 2 tablespoons of PB2 (45)

My meals often look like combinations of snacks -- it works for me and helps me get a variety of "tastes" in for each meal.
  • Othelie24601
    Options
    Getting very bored with my food routine. It works, so of course I stick with it, but I need ideas for something new and different. I currently have meals with fresh fruits and low-fat cheese, chopped veggies mixed with various sources of low fat protein (e.g. hard-boiled egg, almonds, chicken breast), smoked salmon on a toaster size bagel with low fat cream cheese... Planning to make my own, homemade hummus.

What else??? I need ideas of things that are fast and easy to make.

Thanks...

Try some different spices. That did wonder for me when I got sick of my routine food.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't touch the' Lean Cuisine/WW' ready meals with a $hitty stick .. there really is no need to buy Processed mass produced food when a proper meal from single good ingredients can be made quickly and cheaply.

Go to the market and buy an armful of FRESH fruit and veggies and have a great meal.
  • anallydiaz
    anallydiaz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mexican Beef- and Bean-Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups Fiber One original bran cereal
    2 cups Muir Glenorganic tomato puree (from 28-oz can)
    4 medium bell peppers
    1/2 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
    1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
    1 cup Progresso red kidney beans (from 19-oz can), drained, rinsed
    1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso® chopped green chiles, undrained
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (1 oz), if desired

Directions

Heat oven to 350ºF. Crush cereal.* In medium bowl, mix cereal and tomato puree; let stand 5 minutes.
    2Cut bell peppers lengthwise in half; remove seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut sides up, in 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish.
    3In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in cereal mixture and remaining ingredients except cheese. Divide beef mixture evenly among peppers.
    4Cover; bake 40 to 45 minutes or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle each pepper half with 1/2 tablespoon cheese; let stand 5 minutes.

Nutrition Info

Serving Size: 1 Serving
    Calories 105 (Calories from Fat 35 ),

Total Fat 4 g (Saturated Fat 1 g, ),Cholesterol 15 mg Sodium 410 mg Total Carbohydrate 26 g (Dietary Fiber 9 g ),Protein 11 g ;
    % Daily Value*:
    Vitamin A 26%;Vitamin C 60%;Calcium 6%;Iron 24%;

Exchanges:
    1 Starch; 2 Vegetable; *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
  • CLynch309
    CLynch309 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a trip to the Middle East where I had fresh hummus as it was meant to taste. Until then, I'd only ever had store-bought, pre-made hummus, or Tuscan hummus at California Pizza Kitchen. I started craving it this week, and decided to be bold and adventurous and figure out how to make it myself. Can't believe how incredibly easy it is, plus it's lo cal and good for you if you don't overdo. All it takes is a pound of chick peas, a couple tablespoons of tahini, a little lemon juice, olive oil and kosher salt. Throw it in the food processor and whip it all up. Serve with a little more olive oil and some pita bread, celery, cucumber, carrots... so good!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    2 Turkey tacos!

Lean ground Turkey 90/10
    Black Beans
    Corn
    Cheese
    Corn Tortillas heated
    Lime for taste

I can eat 2 for under 400 cals

Yum, I know what I'll be making for dinner tonight.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i love vegetarian chili , made with TVP and beans and tomatoes, it clocks in at 350 calories for 2 cups,
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I love avocado nachos and eat it at least once a week. 10 tortilla chips, TBSP of salsa, 1/2 avocado chopped, 1 oz shredded cheese & diced green or white onion and/or tomato (pico style). I put the chips, cheese & salsa together then top with the avocado & pico stuff. So delicious.