Enjoying the workout at Curves

Options
I recently joined Curves on February 3, 2014. I was not sure if it was for me, however, after my first workout I knew I found the workout for me. Expecting to be completely worn out and exhausted, I was thrilled that I had more energy than ever before. With each and every workout I became more energized and more confident. I never thought I would be going to a gym. I see women of all ages but the elderly women are a huge inspiration to me and motivation. If they can do it then surely I can too... right??? Well, Im doing it and I am finally doing me the right way. Has anyone else utilized Curves and if you have what are you experiences? And if you havent what are your workouts and motivations??? Gotta go now.... Curves is calling my name...

Replies

• amandagair
    Options
    I was considering joining a Curves that's in walking distance of my house. What are the membership prices like and do you find the workout worth it?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i went with a friend who has amembership, it seemed fine.

if you like it stick with it. don't open it up to criticism on a forum like this where anyone can say anything.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If Curves works for you, that's just great, keep it up. It didn't work for me. I hurt my knee and shoulder (not from Curves) and then I was unable to use 6 of the pieces of Curves equipment. Therefore, the Curves circuit didn't work out well for me. I have several friends that are physcial therapists and occupational therapists. They have told me that they are seeing more and more injuries from Curves. I don't know if this is because of the machines, or because people are not instructed properly on how to use them.

I now go to a regular gym with the local recreation center. One advantage is that I can go with my husband and son. I do cardio on the exercycle, recumbent elliptical, elliptical. I do some machines and freeweights. I do core and flexibility and balance exercises. I am much stronger than I ever got working out at Curves. I also have much better core strength, balance and flexibility.

Some women really like the comraderie at Curves. I could take it or leave it, but I'm sort of a tom boy type. I'd rather be in a regular gym with men and women. Some women like Curves because the staff encourages them, knows them by name, cheers them on, the contests for motivation, prizes, etc. I didn't care about that stuff.

That's great that Curves is working well for you!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    can't be bothered- much prefer a squat rack and a barbell.

But if it works for that's all that matters :) If you get really intense about working out you may find it isn't meeting your needs so be prepared to move if you find yourself not going because you aren't challenged enough.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Rock on witcher bad Santa self then.

I'm with MCD and Jo both. It isn't what I'm looking for, but if it's what you will stick with, then by all means DO IT! And as this is a public forum, expect there to be lots of haters.
  • HopeNShelton
    HopeNShelton Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I can handle the haters. I enjoy the workout I get. I have a bad arm and I modify the workout and I see results. I get very energized and when I see women in their 80s and 90s working out in there and looking fit and young and most of all healthy, then it helps motivate me to do my best. Everyone has their way of working out. I personally like it and its reasonably priced. Call your local Curves and ask how much since each Curves is independently owned. I honestly dont know how anyone could hurt themself at Curves unless they werent coached right or didnt follow the routine accordingly. There is always that one person who has to do it their way and not the right way.
  • HopeNShelton
    Options
    By the way, I lost 21 lbs and 21 inches my first month at Curves... with results like that it is obvious that it works when you do it right and show up everyday
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Nothing like finding something you enjoy and sticking with it! Awesome!
  • mrsgoods27
    mrsgoods27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 stone with curves & MFP 2 years ago before my wedding! Biggest thing for me is it really changed my shape! I stopped going & ate badly again & put it back on. But I'm back at curves now with the intention of getting it back off. It really does give you energy, I LOVE curves, it really worked for me. x
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I thought about joining up with a curves, just wish there was one closer to my home. That's awesome that works so well for you too. My husband and I use to own a Curves a few years ago and I lost 60 pounds after my 2nd son was born doing it. Sometimes its not the employees fault if the gym member doesn't follow the routine like they were shown. We had a few members like that. Thought they knew more about the machines then we did and then wouldn't work out hard enough on the machines to even break a sweat or they would use them improperly and you try and tell them and their all defensive and get rude with you. Sometimes you can't win for trying.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia, and a few years ago my Mum joined and was doing so well that I joined and gave it a go (not the same gym though). I really liked the vibe of the one I joined, they always had little trivia games etc going on, and you could win little prizes like a water bottle, keychain or lipgloss - stuff like that.
    Then I moved across town and transferred my membership, and the new one sucked. I couldn't understand the woman running the place (she had a thick accent I wasn't familiar with and it frustrated me), and she would often use me as an example for new members when showing them how to use the machines correctly. I should have said something, but I just didn't like the place so I stopped going.
    I really liked that it got me used to the idea of knowing when I was working too hard or not hard enough by the heart rate testing breaks, and I liked that the machines basically let you manage how hard you pushed yourself.

I think it was a great intro for someone like me who had never excercised regularly and found the whole idea very intimidating.

Good for you! If it's working for you, keep going. :-D
  • HopeNShelton
    Options
    I had never worked out before I joined Curves. In fact the only exercise i ever got was walking. I have been so happy and pleased with the results. I am a firm believer in you get what you put into it. Sounds like just about everyone has had a good response to their Curves workout. Keep up the great job. And I for one agree that some can get defensive and do not like to be told how to do things properly. Those will be the ones who wont get the best results either. To all my Curves friends..... Happy Easter