easter cheat day? dinner with family. help.

Options
I eat 900-1200 calories a day. Some days I eat low some I eat at my goal of 1200.
sunday im going to my aunts for a family dinner. Any tips on how to not count calories but not eat to much? Is one day of not counting the dinner fine?

Replies

• as124
    as124 Posts: 27
    Options
    Easter is an all day affair in my family, and I don't plan on tracking a bite. I'm anticipating that I'll be fuller much sooner than before I started MFP, so I probably won't eat too much anyway. But one day (or dinner) won't ruin your progress. If you're worried that you'll feel guilty/ might gain some back or go over make at least one healthy substitution. I know dessert will tempt me too much, so I'm bringing some strawberries and light cake to substitute.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Be less concerned about having a normal, Easter Sunday dinner with your family.

Be more concerned with the fact that you are only eating 900-1200 calories daily and think that's enough.

^This.
  • helizi
    helizi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    One day is not going to make the slightest difference. Weight loss is a long process, it won't be hindered by a few blips. Don't stress, enjoy the day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Be more concerned with the fact that you are only eating 900-1200 calories daily and think that's enough.

this ..

also, on easter just eat the damn food and have fun with your family and not worry about logging…one day of excess is not going to make you obese again ...
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to eat a small healthy meal before I go, such as a salad or homemade ( low sodium) vegetable soup. When I do that, I am satisfied eating a small amount of everything to taste but im not starving so I dont over indulged.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

^^^MrM27 is right. Your calories are waaaay too low. Why not set your calories goals at a more reasonable level, then log what you eat (approximately - Easter dinner is probably not the place to whip out the food scale) and know that you can enjoy your time without having to worry about going over?

If you want a second opinion (second to MFP) regarding TDEE, BMR and how much you should be eating, Scooby has a pretty good calculator at: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and it's free.

:drinker:
  • Swimnessa
    Swimnessa Posts: 44
    Options
    I am also on a dr controlled and supported 1200 calorie diet. I average between 1000 and 1200 calories a day. You are going to have a ton of people tell you that you are starving yourself. Just listen to your dr and your body.

As for Easter, I am having the same issue. My plan is to eat a small well balanced meal ahead of time, make a healthy alternative to contribute to the meal and then pick 3 to 5 things that I love, take a small tasting and enjoy every mouthful!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I eat 900-1200 calories a day. Some days I eat low some I eat at my goal of 1200.
    sunday im going to my aunts for a family dinner. Any tips on how to not count calories but not eat to much? Is one day of not counting the dinner fine?

I think Easter might actually be the one day where you actually eat a healthy amount of food.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I am also on a dr controlled and supported 1200 calorie diet. I average between 1000 and 1200 calories a day. You are going to have a ton of people tell you that you are starving yourself. Just listen to your dr and your body.

As for Easter, I am having the same issue. My plan is to eat a small well balanced meal ahead of time, make a healthy alternative to contribute to the meal and then pick 3 to 5 things that I love, take a small tasting and enjoy every mouthful!

Where in the post does it say she is on a Dr supervised low calorie diet? Bit of a dangerous assumption really. Also many people, including myself became obese listening to their bodies, so not a good guide.

My advice to the OP is to enjoy your meal with the family and don't even concern yourself with your food intake on a special occasion
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. It's one day. If you can get right back up the next day and get on track, eat whatever you want. If it'll be hard for you to recover, stick to around 1500 calories.

Also, 900 calories? A 4 year old eats more than you do. Here, read this:

http://funeralformyfat.tumblr.com/eatingenough
  • flyboy1
    flyboy1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also have easter dinner coming up and on a 14 00 cal plan. My Dietitian suggests 1300 - 1700 for myself. My plan is to take my scales with me. Not so much to limit my intake but to track what I do have to record in MFP. The process of tracking your intake is the purpose. You are responsible to yourself. Use your better judgment and your body as guidelines.

You will do fine on Sunday.
  • Swimnessa
    Swimnessa Posts: 44
    Options

Where in the post does it say she is on a Dr supervised low calorie diet? Bit of a dangerous assumption really. Also many people, including myself became obese listening to their bodies, so not a good guide.

My advice to the OP is to enjoy your meal with the family and don't even concern yourself with your food intake on a special occasion

My point is that for the past 2 weeks I have been getting slammed left and right by people ,WHO ARE NOT DOCTORS, for my 1200 calorie diet. The OP asked a reasonable question and many (not all) gave her sass about her calories instead of helpful advice. I apologize that I took my own experience and assumed something about the poster. We are all on here to get healthy and live longer, better lives. I am just so tired of people immediately slamming someone because of their calorie, food, lifestyle choices. I am only 5 feet tall maybe the above poster is short as well and has a lot of weight to lose. If that is the case then a 1200 calorie diet is more then reasonable.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

My point is that for the past 2 weeks I have been getting slammed left and right by people ,WHO ARE NOT DOCTORS, for my 1200 calorie diet. The OP asked a reasonable question and many (not all) gave her sass about her calories instead of helpful advice. I apologize that I took my own experience and assumed something about the poster. We are all on here to get healthy and live longer, better lives. I am just so tired of people immediately slamming someone because of their calorie, food, lifestyle choices. I am only 5 feet tall maybe the above poster is short as well and has a lot of weight to lose. If that is the case then a 1200 calorie diet is more then reasonable.

way to derail the thread and make it about yourself….
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

I have no problem with 1200 calorie diets, its the 900 calories, the age, two profile pictures that show a healthy looking non obese person who is worried about eating a meal with the family on a special occasion that rang alarm bells.

A Dr monitored low calorie diet is fine but your post read as an acceptance of what the OP was doing without having any background information either
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    One day will not make a difference, but I invite you to rethink your game plan...

Let's see. 18 year old female with a blank diary and a super (unnecessarily) low calorie goal. Sounds like you've got some homework to do!

OP, have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? I would aim to eat in between those two numbers. I can't give you any more unsolicited advice without knowing your stats, so I think I'll just leave you with this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

good luck! :drinker: