*sigh* Why Sonic?

Options
So I stopped off this morning at Sonic to get a Diet Cherry Limeade but instead decided to get a Diet Cherry Slush. When I got to work I took a drink and paused, it tasted very sweet...too good to be diet. After a little research online, I found out that their slush base is full of sugar, as in 100 grams of sugar for a large slush. I had to wash it down the drain. The syrup was sugar free but the rest was not! I'm glad I followed my instinct that if something tastes too good, it's probably bad. >.<

They fail to mention this at the time of ordering, I'm glad I'm not a diabetic.

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I can see why you feel duped by a "diet" drink with this much sugar. Thanks for posting, so the rest of us know what we are getting at Sonic. Though sugar isn't bad for you, unless you have a medical condition. No reason to make it a drain pour if you enjoyed the drink.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I followed my instinct that if something tastes too good, it's probably bad. >.<

That sounds like a healthy attitude towards food.

I fit Sonic slushies into my day occasionally, sugar is not the devil. Also do you really expect them to say Ma'am you know that drink you want is over 100 g of sugar??? How about self responsibility that you changed your mind, it was more calories and sugar than you expected .. so enjoy it, log it and move on.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. If something tastes good I just think Yum!! I think maybe you need to assess your attitude to food
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't trust places that make drinks for me… hell, I barely trust them with my food. For example, when at Starbucks I always tell them how many pumps of whatever syrup to use and then I watch them do it. I make sure they are actually using what I tell them (i.e. sugar free syrup or skim milk). I don't play around with drinks. If I'm going to drink my calories that S*^& better be accurate!
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Also, I'd like to add that you probably don't need to "change your attitude towards food". Geeze, people.
  • idlehands79
    Options
    100 grams of sugar is bad for anyone I think! But it is bad when I'm trying to lose weight and my husband's diabetic so I'm glad I have that information.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I followed my instinct that if something tastes too good, it's probably bad. >.<

That sounds like a healthy attitude towards food.

I fit Sonic slushies into my day occasionally, sugar is not the devil. Also do you really expect them to say Ma'am you know that drink you want is over 100 g of sugar??? How about self responsibility that you changed your mind, it was more calories and sugar than you expected .. so enjoy it, log it and move on.

given it said it was diet I understand the reaction, but yeah... it's still fast food. whatcha expect? :P
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    So I stopped off this morning at Sonic to get a Diet Cherry Limeade but instead decided to get a Diet Cherry Slush. When I got to work I took a drink and paused, it tasted very sweet...too good to be diet. After a little research online, I found out that their slush base is full of sugar, as in 100 grams of sugar for a large slush. I had to wash it down the drain. The syrup was sugar free but the rest was not! I'm glad I followed my instinct that if something tastes too good, it's probably bad. >.<

Shame - but it you enjoyed it - you could have just lost 100 cals elsewhere in the day ... Life's too short to beat yourself up over a single cup of sugar :-p

Even if you were a diabetic - it's not their responsibility what you consume .... although in some daft litigious countries law suites would probably flying all over the place :-(
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Shame - but it you enjoyed it - you could have just lost 100 cals elsewhere in the day ... Life's too short to beat yourself up over a single cup of sugar :-p

Even if you were a diabetic - it's not their responsibility what you consume .... although in some daft litigious countries law suites would probably flying all over the place :-(

100 grams, not 100 cals.

big difference
  • idlehands79
    Options

I didn't drink it, I couldn't enjoy that knowing how much sugar was in it and it's not on my eating plan.

As for it not being their responsiblity what I consume, of course it isn't. I just remember I work customer service and if a customer was ordering something they thought was diet and it wasn't, I'd let them know just in case.

Life is too short, that's part of the reason I'm trying to eat better.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    100 grams of sugar is A LOT. I personally think that it was a good choice not to drink it because you hadn't originally planned for such a large amount of sugar and extra calories.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I didn't drink it, I couldn't enjoy that knowing how much sugar was in it and it's not on my eating plan.

As for it not being their responsiblity what I consume, of course it isn't. I just remember I work customer service and if a customer was ordering something they thought was diet and it wasn't, I'd let them know just in case.

Life is too short, that's part of the reason I'm trying to eat better.

I guess this was a customized item? A 400 calorie menu diet drink does seem odd. I found Sonic's nutrition info area on their site hard to navigate

No diet slushes on this list: http://sonicwww.s3.amazonaws.com/Content/pdfs/SonicNutritionGuide.pdf

Large Cherry slush is indeed listed as 430 calories
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    The people saying reevaluate your relationship with food must be nuts. I would have poured it out too. 100g of sugar is almost twice what I consume in an entire day. I won't even bother figuring out the calories on that. I'd rather just not drink it.
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Really bad advice!!! 100 grams does not equal 100 calories or 1 cup

100 grams of granulated sugar = 387 calories
    1 cup of granulated sugar = 774 calories
    These are both a significant number of calories over 100!

OP - Great job of following your instincts, doing the research and then making a choice that worked for you!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    That would suck. I get people say enjoy it and move on, but if you weren't expecting it... it can be a downer. I usually get the SF Mango. According to their site, it's 0. So, I'd say it depends on which type of slush you get. I know they have the super fruity and syrupy ones, but there are some other 'real fruit' ones and I think they are just the ice base, but I'm not sure. I rarely get them, but when I do, I get a big one and enjoy it! I foresee them this summer. LOL Anyways, sorry that sucked. Maybe next time look it up before ordering if you can or just go with your original thought. Or get it, log it, and cut somewhere else if it is worth it to you. I can understand it not being, though. I did just go and check out the site, and I didn't see where it said 100g for the slush base, but I may have just missed it.
  • idlehands79
    Options

I guess this was a customized item? A 400 calorie menu diet drink does seem odd. I found Sonic's nutrition info area on their site hard to navigate

It was, I figured Diet Cherry in the slush would be the same as Diet Cherry Limeade. It isn't on the menu, so I should have figured there was a reason. The slush has a sugar water base of 5 cups of sugar to each gallon of water and Diet Limeades have a Diet Sprite base.

So it's the base, not the syrup, that will determine the majority of sugar and calories.
  • idlehands79
    Options

Really bad advice!!! 100 grams does not equal 100 calories or 1 cup

100 grams of granulated sugar = 387 calories
    1 cup of granulated sugar = 774 calories
    These are both a significant number of calories over 100!

OP - Great job of following your instincts, doing the research and then making a choice that worked for you!
    The people saying reevaluate your relationship with food must be nuts. I would have poured it out too. 100g of sugar is almost twice what I consume in an entire day. I won't even bother figuring out the calories on that. I'd rather just not drink it.

Thanks and I agree. It's not worth it. I'd rather get my calories and sugar from something better. I can live without a slush, it was just a surprise. It's like the other day, I found out the real calorie and fat content of regular Ranch Dressing. Blew my mind. I like to find these things out, because it's a lot harder to justify eating those things when I know better.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

It was, I figured Diet Cherry in the slush would be the same as Diet Cherry Limeade. It isn't on the menu, so I should have figured there was a reason. The slush has a sugar water base of 5 cups of sugar to each gallon of water and Diet Limeades have a Diet Sprite base.

So it's the base, not the syrup, that will determine the majority of sugar and calories.

Well kudos to you for doing this research! Whether you think sugar is evil or not, if you're gonna log, you should definitely do it accurately :laugh:
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I don't think she said sugar is the devil, maybe she would rather use her calories on real food, something you can chew