Logging when eating at "whole in the wall" places

Options
My co-workers and I go out to eat a lot. When we got to the big chain restaurants, it really isn't a problem because their nutrition is on MFP and verified by their websites.

However, we frequent a whole in the wall place that doesn't have its nutrition listed online, and some of its entrees are rather obscure.

An example is a sand which at the place we eat at called "the three little pigs". It's a fried pork tenderloin, with some bacon and ham, covered in their special sauce. I haven't found anything like it online.

How do you guys log calories when eating different foods at obscure restaurants?

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I don't have a hole lot of answers for you.
  • BoilerMaker22
    BoilerMaker22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I see what you did there.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    We have a lot of those types of places here too - small, independent local places with awesome food, but zero info. So I use the SWAG method (Scientific Wild *kitten* Guessing - learned from an old boss who used the term when he wasn't sure how much to order during holidays or whatever). :tongue: Basically I find the closest match, something that seems reasonable, in the database and just wing it. It's only one meal, so not a big deal.

If I'm feeling a bit anal, I'll try to break it down by item, like the pork tenderloin, estimating the portion size, then the ham etc. And if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just quick add whatever cals I have left for the day and call it good. :smile:

And I seriously want to try the three little pigs now - so much pork and special sauce? :love:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    We have a lot of those types of places here too - small, independent local places with awesome food, but zero info. So I use the SWAG method (Scientific Wild *kitten* Guessing - learned from an old boss who used the term when he wasn't sure how much to order during holidays or whatever). :tongue: Basically I find the closest match, something that seems reasonable, in the database and just wing it. It's only one meal, so not a big deal.

If I'm feeling a bit anal, I'll try to break it down by item, like the pork tenderloin, estimating the portion size, then the ham etc. And if I'm feeling lazy, I'll just quick add whatever cals I have left for the day and call it good. :smile:

This describes what I do as well.

Sometimes even when I'm eating in a local small place I will log the bigger chain version. For example, on the rare occasion I go out for BBQ I'll log stuff from Logan's Roadhouse even though I'm at a little mom & pop restaurant.

Other times I will log three generic entries and go with the medium calorie one (unless the entree I had was huge or super indulgent). For example, we frequent a gyro place (by that I mean once every month or two) and their gyros are delicious but I've seen them in the database for like 180 calories and 1,300 calories for a gyro on pita with the trimmings...and the ones I order are definitely more around the neighborhood of 550-700 so that's how I log them (they're normal size but not loaded with meat or sauce and have a ton of veggies in them)

Works for me. I think this is only a big problem if you eat out a LOT.
  • BoilerMaker22
    BoilerMaker22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's maybe a once a week type deal. I guess it's not such a big deal if it's one meal a week.

I haven't had the three little pigs, but my friends tell me it's dericious.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Just pick the closest match you can and then add another 500 or so calories to it to cover , since it's more likely over than under it anyway.