Having trouble testing my blood glucose

Options
I've been testing my blood glucose levels for almost three weeks now. Although I've not been diagnosed with Type II diabetes, it does run in my family and my glucose levels have been moderately high on occasion (I have an appt on Wednesday to see someone to get a diagnosis/rule it out).

My problem is that I have a wacky, irregular schedule that won't become regular for at least four to six months. There's nothing I can do about it. That makes my mealtimes irregular and my glucose testing times irregular.Right now I am testing first thing in the morning and three other times during the day. I find that I have more days with one missed test. I know that part of the misses come from depression/lack of motivation on some days. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this difficulty remembering/testing/recording?

Replies

• dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Before breakfast. Before bed. Then when you remember record if you are and how long ago you ate. It will be one habit of you make it a priority.
  • dab52776
    dab52776 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    When I was testing regularly, I always did first thing in the morning and before bed. I also did one or two hours after eating a meal.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm trying to make it a priority, but I find I'm really resenting having to do it. I try to get a fasting sugar first thing in the morning and after each meal. So I guess the best thing to do is just to keep at it and try to turn it into a habit? Would having a second testing kit in the car help? I live in the Deep South, so would the heat affect the test strips if I kept a kit in the car?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Can you set the alarm on your phone to 2 hours (or whatever) after you eat? Do you eat breakfast? Coffee? Put the testing supplies next to the coffee maker or cereal so you remember to test before breakfast.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I've been testing my blood glucose levels for almost three weeks now. Although I've not been diagnosed with Type II diabetes, it does run in my family and my glucose levels have been moderately high on occasion (I have an appt on Wednesday to see someone to get a diagnosis/rule it out).

My problem is that I have a wacky, irregular schedule that won't become regular for at least four to six months. There's nothing I can do about it. That makes my mealtimes irregular and my glucose testing times irregular.Right now I am testing first thing in the morning and three other times during the day. I find that I have more days with one missed test. I know that part of the misses come from depression/lack of motivation on some days. Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this difficulty remembering/testing/recording?

I'm not diabetic but I have insulin resistance and hypoglycemia and have to test multiple times throughout the day.

You need to test first thing in the morning, before a meal, 1 hr after a meal, and 2 hr after a meal. That is what an endocrinologist will tell you to do.

When you sit down to have a meal, look at the time and set an alarm for 1 hour later and 2 hours later.

As far as keeping your kit in your car, don't do that since you live in the South. The heat can give false readings. Test strips need to be stored in room temperature.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Diabetic here...... I tested first thing in the morning when I rolled out of bed and was getting my pills for the day and then check 2 hours after I ate.. same at lunch and dinner..... Just set my alarm on my smartphone for 2 hours after I ate and when it beeped, grab my portable kit and test. Takes all of a few seconds... Then test right before bed (as long as that was 2 hours from my last meal). Best of Luck
  • CyberEd312
    Options

I'm not diabetic but I have insulin resistance and hypoglycemia and have to test multiple times throughout the day.

You need to test first thing in the morning, before a meal, 1 hr after a meal, and 2 hr after a meal. That is what an endocrinologist will tell you to do.

When you sit down to have a meal, look at the time and set an alarm for 1 hour later and 2 hours later.

As far as keeping your kit in your car, don't do that since you live in the South. The heat can give false readings. Test strips need to be stored in room temperature.

Why would you need to test twice within 2 hours after a meal??? Never heard that before..
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Why would you need to test twice within 2 hours after a meal??? Never heard that before..

Every endocrinologist I have met with has told me to test 1 hour after a meal and at the 2 hour mark as well. All diabetic/metabolic syndrome/hypoglycemic patients I have had are also told to test 1 hr and 2 hrs after a meal. Since OP doesn't know what is going on specifically, the doctor is going to want to see where her blood sugar is at the 1 hour mark. They are going to want to see when she spikes, how much she spikes, how much she drops, how quickly she drops, etc. The more information, the better.

ETA: Every endocrinologist is different. If she is diabetic, her endo may or may not tell her to test 1 hr and 2 hrs later. They might just tell her to test at the 2 hr mark. But since she is in the process of trying to get a diagnosis/figure out what is going on, it's good to have the reading at the 1 hr mark.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have a dumbphone and I don't wear a watch. I guess it's time to get a smartphone or a watch, hmm? Okay, I normally keep my prayer books next to the coffee maker (my coffee drips during morning prayers), but I guess I can keep the test kit there, too. I really do want to do everything right--I lost my roommate to uncontrolled diabetes, so I have plenty of incentive--but I am having a hard time making so many changes at once.

Thanks for all the help, folks! If anyone else has any ideas on how to get through this thing, I'd really appreciate it. :D
  • CyberEd312
    Options

Every endocrinologist I have met with has told me to test 1 hour after a meal and at the 2 hour mark as well. All diabetic/metabolic syndrome/hypoglycemic patients I have had are also told to test 1 hr and 2 hrs after a meal. Since OP doesn't know what is going on specifically, the doctor is going to want to see where her blood sugar is at the 1 hour mark. They are going to want to see when she spikes, how much she spikes, how much she drops, how quickly she drops, etc. The more information, the better.

News to me..... My Endo had me testing before each meals and once 2 hours after. Log it and move on... A1c checks at 3 month intervals. I was checking 6 times a day (3 main meals = before and after) and I had to have verification in writing submitted to my insurance that my Endo really wanted me testing that many times a day before they would sign off on getting my testing supplies... My A1c's was over 10.0 in the beginning and the last 2 years have average 5.4 and I only test once a day randomly. Not saying your wrong just stating my own personal results...
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    When you get your hgba1c results. 5.4 is end of normal. 5.5-5.9 dietary and exercise controlled insulin resistance very reversible with lifestyle change. 6.0 -6.3 Insulin resistant pre diabetic ,harder to reverse ,consider meds. 6.4 diabetic get on meds , if anyone tells you that you have a touch of sugar or do diet and exercise at 6.4 you will likely end up in a practice like mine where I explain that you have diabetes, your insulin resistance should have been addressed years ago and now your kidneys are failing. A healthy person will have a blood sugar at 100 2 hours after a meal.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

News to me..... My Endo had me testing before each meals and once 2 hours after. Log it and move on... A1c checks at 3 month intervals. I was checking 6 times a day (3 main meals = before and after) and I had to have verification in writing submitted to my insurance that my Endo really wanted me testing that many times a day before they would sign off on getting my testing supplies... My A1c's was over 10.0 in the beginning and the last 2 years have average 5.4 and I only test once a day randomly. Not saying your wrong just stating my own personal results...

I have friends who only test before each meal and 2 hours after the meal. Like I said, every endo is different. OP can test 1 hr and 2 hrs after if she wants or she can just test after 2 hours. It's up to her. I'm just telling her what I'm told but then again I don't have high blood sugar. I'm usually testing 10+ times a day. A1c was 4.6 six months ago and this month it was down to 3.9. So I'm in a totally different situation. I guess she just needs to meet with her doctor and let him/her decide when she should test based on diagnosis.
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Pack a note in your lunch to test before eating.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    When you get your hgba1c results. 5.4 is end of normal. 5.5-5.9 dietary and exercise controlled insulin resistance very reversible with lifestyle change. 6.0 -6.3 Insulin resistant pre diabetic ,harder to reverse ,consider meds. 6.4 diabetic get on meds , if anyone tells you that you have a touch of sugar or do diet and exercise at 6.4 you will likely end up in a practice like mine where I explain that you have diabetes, your insulin resistance should have been addressed years ago and now your kidneys are failing. A healthy person will have a blood sugar at 100 2 hours after a meal.

This isn't necessarily true for everyone. I have severe insulin resistance and am medicated for it. Because of how bad my insulin resistance is, it has caused me to become hypoglycemic. My A1c is 3.9.