Working out before breakfast

2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I cannot believe a dietician has not responded to this post. Statistics have proven that when the body first comes out of a restful state ( after a night's sleep) that the process of the body are so incredibly active that the metabolism is firing up. If you go out and exercise on an EMPTY stomach then what you burn will be muscle and not fat. Studies have also proven that if you have fed your body and then go exercise in the morning, your body can actually burn up to 4x the amount of calories compared to 7pm in the evening .....someone needs to stop blowing smoke.

please post said studies for review..

meal timing and metabolism have nothing to do with one another…as does work out timing and metabolism…
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I've read arguments for both, but for me it all comes down to my preference.
    None at all - but that 4:30a workout is definitely more effective than the one you skipped later in the day because you got too busy and couldn't fit it in....
    And this is part of it right here. :smile: I work out first thing in the morning before anyone else in my house is up, so I don't eat first. I feel better on an empty stomach anyway, so it works out.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I've heard that it's good for fat loss, but obviously you can't trust everything you read on the internet. So I'm coming to the internet to find out if it's true or if it even matters when you exercise and eat.

Anyone knowledgable on this? :]
    Nope. Doesn't matter.

I usually eat breakfast after my workout with a small something before (1/2 oz nut, boiled egg. yogurt.

Today, I ate breakfast before my workout.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    I cannot believe a dietician has not responded to this post. Statistics have proven that when the body first comes out of a restful state ( after a night's sleep) that the process of the body are so incredibly active that the metabolism is firing up. If you go out and exercise on an EMPTY stomach then what you burn will be muscle and not fat. Studies have also proven that if you have fed your body and then go exercise in the morning, your body can actually burn up to 4x the amount of calories compared to 7pm in the evening .....someone needs to stop blowing smoke.
    No, It doesn't matter at all.

As for blowing smoke....please provide some peer reviewed studies to backup what you say.
  • I don't think it changes anything when you eat or workout but i have realized with myself that working out on an empty stomach makes me 100x hungrier throughout the day
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Fasted cardio has no effect on stored body fat.

Cardio en ayunas no tiene ningún efecto sobre la grasa corporal almacenada.

Gefastet Ubung hat keine Wirkung auf Körperfett gespeichert.

Cardio à jeun n'a aucun effet sur la graisse corporelle stockée.

Fastade cardio har ingen effekt på lagrat kroppsfett.

No matter how you say it, the answer is still the same.

The acute responses during an exercise workout (i.e. fuel substrate selection) are not permanent effects. While it is possible to effect a change in the fuel substrate mix during exercise -- through "fasted cardio" and other interventions--those changes have no effect 24 hour fat oxidation-they change neither overall RQ nor total whole-body fat oxidation (Melanson et al 2009, Schoenfeld 2011).

The purported "effectiveness" of fasted cardio is a very important part of the folklore of certain athletic cultures, so many "trainers" accept it without question--and why not, everyone they know says the same thing.