Chinese Food?

Options
2»

Replies

• LisaStaines
    LisaStaines Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Question of my own about chinese food....

I had a chinese takeaway tonight (I only started MFP last sunday and i just caved tonight!!). Instead of trying to look for something that might have been kind of lower in calories... I went for my usual;

Spicy Chips (2/3 of the bag)
    Fried Rice (1/3 of the tray)
    Salt & Chilli Chicken (2/3 of the tray)
    Satay Sauce (about 4 tablespoons overall)

I have no idea how many calories this is, so I just stuck it in as 1,000 (although it could be a lot more???)
    I'm just going to start fresh tomorrow, but if anyone knew how many calories it actually is that would be a great help!
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    We go once a week - I get steamed shrimp and vegetables - low in fat but a very healthy choice. See if this restaurant has any steamed options
  • vanginmi
    vanginmi Posts: 41
    Options
    I think those steam dumplings are fairly reasonable. 3 @ 150 in my grocery store.
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love Chinese food. I always get steamed shrimp or chicken with string beans or mixed Chinese vegetables, with brown rice and a lower sodium brown sauce on the side for dipping. (If you ask, they can make their regular brown sauce "lighter" and less sodium) I have that every other week and never get a spike in the scale.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Beef and broccoli, cashew chicken, steamed green beans, crab legs, steamed shrimp, and egg drop soup are good choices.
    Anything fried, rice, or noodles is going to be higher calorie. Sesame chicken and General Tso are diet catastrophes.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Once a week my work group goes out to eat. I've been able to find salads most of the time. However, they are heading to a Chinese Food place soon. Is there anything there that can be eaten, that isn't high calories. What would be the best choice if I had to choose one?
    Most Chinese restaurants will prepare your dish to your needs. If you are on a special diet, let them know and they can recommend some light fare for you. If you can have rice, broccoli is good, Lo Mein, kung pao chicken, steamed shrimp with veggies--oh! steamed rice is good, but get a half portion. Don't eat the crispy stuff, like the noodles, egg rolls, etc.-you will save alot of calories by skipping that stuff. Spring rolls are good, too.
  • Peacockbutterfly
    Peacockbutterfly Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I always have to watch the sodium when getting Chinese food these days. It always causes me to retain water. I've learned to ask for sauce on the side and get brown rice. I also ask them to use low sodium soy sauce when they have it.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Chinese food places usually have steamed mixed vegetables that you can have as opposed to the fried rice or chow mein. Mushroom chicken, teriyaki chicken, broccoli beef, etc are all low calorie.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, I wish you the best of luck! I struggle terribly with ethnic foods, but it seems like a lot of great advice being spread here! Personally, whenever my friends decide to get Chinese I always opt for Wonton Soup. I hope I'm not wrong, but I remember hearing that it's very low in calories and it actually fills you up! But BEWARE, it's a sodium bomb. It's hard to win with Americanized Chinese food unfortunately :x