Not losing

Options
Ok, so I have always been a firm believer that if calories in were less than calories burned weight loss would happen. However in the last 2 years I have tried to lose weight multiple times (I would like to lose 20-25 lbs). It is not working. I did a full month of insanity with healthy eating and lost no weight or inches (did gain some strength and endurance). I am currently just following the calories recommended on here and I am not losing. I know I should be burning more than I am eating but I am still staying the same. Just more info, I am 37, female, 160.2 lbs, 5'8". I am under a lot of stress in a Masters degree program. Ideas?

Replies

• LaLaVee13
    LaLaVee13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Stress makes your body hang on to anything you put in it!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

That isn't true. Calories in calories out still applies. There is nothing you can do to your body in which calories in is less than calories out does not eventually result in weight loss.

If that was true then people with high stress jobs wouldn't be fat and really if anything the opposite tends to be true.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Did you actually log everything you were eating (by weight)? If you didn't lose, it's because you weren't in a deficit.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    OP how are you tracking your calories in and calories out exactly? Are you consistent in that tracking and are you consistent in your intake and output?
  • maryjmac1
    maryjmac1 Posts: 10
    Options
    Maybe try increasing your protein intake. I read your post and that was basically how I had been feeling lately. A few years ago when I lost some weight healthy eating and exercise (I was doing p90x at the time) was enough. This go around it was very stubborn. I even got a body composition scale to see how my percentages changed approximately and nothing really did.

The last week and a half, my BF did some reading and said that I should try increasing my protein intake. My body fat percentages changed a lot in the past week and a half after not budging for months. I gained two pounds the first day but the weight is starting to come off, the muscle percentages are increasing and body fat is decreasing.

The stress could be causing it to be stubborn as well. I know I gained some weight the last semester of my Masters during final project submission times.

Anyway, give the higher protein thing a shot. Still eat fats and carbs of course but try to have a really good protein with every meal.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    if you're not losing, you're not at a caloric deficit.

you're either not logging accurately, or you're eating more than you need to lose.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    For some people...stress will cause you to eat more...for others...stress will cause them to eat less. One of the sets of people will gain...the other will lose.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I am curious...what makes you think that?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    For some people...stress will cause you to eat more...for others...stress will cause them to eat less. One of the sets of people will gain...the other will lose.

Well that is true. But if you are reliably tracking your calories during that time you will realize you are under or over eating so imo stress has nothing to do with this issue.
  • shannonb8
    shannonb8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am logging accurately. Scanning foods when it is available, weighing or measuring as appropriate. I work as a home health nurse, a lot of driving with short moments of activity throughout the day. Mostly walking doing basic patient care.. I have a polar heart rate monitor and if I wear it on a normal day (for 24 hours) it says I burn 1600-1900 calories. I am eating 1200-1400 a day. Walking 45 minutes 2-3 times a week. I do not believe it is me eating too much. If anything since I have been trying to be accountable, I have had to add evening snacks to meet my calorie needs.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am logging accurately. Scanning foods when it is available, weighing or measuring as appropriate. I work as a home health nurse, a lot of driving with short moments of activity throughout the day. Mostly walking doing basic patient care.. I have a polar heart rate monitor and if I wear it on a normal day (for 24 hours) it says I burn 1600-1900 calories. I am eating 1200-1400 a day. Walking 45 minutes 2-3 times a week. I do not believe it is me eating too much. If anything since I have been trying to be accountable, I have had to add evening snacks to meet my calorie needs.

If you believe that you have been eating at a calorie deficit and still aren't losing, then I'd suggest seeing a dietician and possibly a doctor to check for any medical conditions.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I guess you should read this article everyone's on about this week:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html

Yes, you may be undercounting your calories or overestimating exercise burn. Your diary is not open so it's unknown how much you're eating. But apparently the high stress from your degree program along with the physical stress from dieting could be causing you to retain fluid even though you actually are losing fat.

So put your numbers in the iifym calculator here and see what calorie goal it gives you; it might be higher than myfitnesspal: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

If it's higher, try eating more.

Edit: Your BMR is over 1400, you are eating below that. Eat more!
  • NurseWizzle
    NurseWizzle Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Except our bodies aren't closed systems, and its actually more complicated than just calories in vs out.
  • nicolemontagna22
    nicolemontagna22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back exercise calories? Also what activity level did u put in the calculator on here to determine ur allowed calories?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Except our bodies aren't closed systems, and its actually more complicated than just calories in vs out.

Usually it isn't.
  • shannonb8
    Options
    I did eat back my fitness calories, or almost all of them. I don't know how to open my diary to share??? I believe I put in mostly sedentary. I don't drink enough water :P

And if I cant figure this out, I will consider seeing a dietitian and maybe I will have my HgbA1C drawn :D .
  • LaLaVee13
    LaLaVee13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Stress causes the body to produce cortisol. Google it and you'll see all it's negativity
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    Ok you say you are eating 1200-1400 a day. What's the number MFP gave you as a daily goal?
  • shannonb8
    Options
  • nicolemontagna22
    Options
    I myself am at 1320 calories. 5'2 137 lbs. I have a similar kind of job. Work with autistic children so I drive a lot and sit in between but I put lightly active. I usually eat around 1250 calories a day . I don't eat my calories back after working out because I don't trust MFP to tell me how much they are. I don't think you can create more of a deficit because 1200 is the lowest healthiest goal. I'd say maybe you need to use lightly active and up ur daily goal but if it's a tracking problem I'd hate to tell you to eat more!