Talk about NSV!

Options
I am down *this close* to 30 pounds, though it doesn't show yet. It is seriously bothering me, but unfortunately my body has always been like that... I am very short (5'1" on a good day) and I have at least a medium, possibly large frame for my height which results in carrying the weight "well" enough to where while I never look quite as big as the scale says I am, it also take quite a while before any significant loss is noticeable.

ANYWAY, appearance aside... back in December I decided to change my ways once and for all, and went in to see my Dr. for a full assessment so I'd have a benchmark to begin with. In all the times I've attempted this before, I've never bothered to do this. So I went in on December 17 and he ran a full blood panel with all the usual stuff. As to be expected, some of it was pretty bad. Among other things, my cholesterol through the roof, and after being borderline for a few years, it came to light that I am now full-blown diabetic. So he put me on Glucophage and said for now we'd see bout controlling it with diet and see what "we" (okay, I) could do with it. I spent the holidays in a bit of a denial daze, though I "tried" enough (not MFP) to where when I saw him in January I was about six or so pounds down. He was pleased, reduced my Glucophage because it was making me sick, added another med and said to just keep doing what I was doing, and besides the obvious being mindful of sugar intake to not worry specifically about macros just yet and focus on calories for now.

That was when I came back to MFP and started logging for serious. Had some trouble getting off the ground and still have my bad days, but I am now *this close* to 30 pounds gone including that initial six, so that's about 24 pounds since January.

LONG story short (too late I know), I just had a follow up blood draw yesterday and have an appointment to go in and discuss results on Tuesday. I got the results today and am blown away:

From Dec 17 to April 18:

Cholesterol has dropped from 257 to 202 (standard range 100-200)
Ldl ('bad' cholesterol) has gone from 165 to 129
Hdl ('good' cholesterol) has gone from 42 to 55

Triglyceride has dropped from 186 to 157

and (drum roll please)
Fasting Glucose has dropped from 242 to 138

:love:

now mind you, I am well aware that these are still all high. but I am so excited at the reduction of numbers after only 4 months and 28 pounds. I still have anywhere from 100-120 pounds to go. But I did not think I could see an improvement like this so quickly. I am hoping he is pleased too when I go see him Tuesday.

I HAD to share with someone. No one in my offline life really knows I'm even doing this, and the few that do sadly aren't all that interested. (Hubby won't be very impressed.) But I knew ppl here would get it.

Whoo hoo for NSV's :bigsmile:

Replies

• Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep up the great work:smile:
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV and cheers to many more.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!! Good job - it is hard work to make the commitment and then keep it up - and tomorrow could be hard if there is chocolate around... but you will make it! and 30 lbs is a lot!!!!
  • kzzr
    kzzr Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Way to go D2S, you are a great inspiration, keep up the good work. I am sad to hear that the people in you rl world are not interested in your progress, but we most definitely are!!! Thanks for sharing.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Way to go D2S, you are a great inspiration, keep up the good work. I am sad to hear that the people in you rl world are not interested in your progress, but we most definitely are!!! Thanks for sharing.

It turned out he did agree they were good results, not as excited as I am about it but there you are. I guess he can still surprise me sometimes.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Both my parents are diabetic, and I'm currently fasting between 100 and 110, so hopefully I manage to avoid crossing the borderline with my recent changes.

It's amazing that you've almost completely reversed it like that! I know how scary diabeties can be, and you should feel so proud of yourself to have it under control.
  • dawnfto
    dawnfto Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You are doing so well :)
  • pearsol50
    pearsol50 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    exciting to see such quick results, keep it up
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! That was a really fast turn-around time. It's really interesting how our health is determined so much by what we eat.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic! See what caring about yourself can do for your overall health! Think about what another 30 can do!!!
    Best of luck to you on getting your health back!
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Those numbers are awesome. I think this is the first NSV I've seen that I'd actually prefer over a scale victory; I've been chipping away at my own numbers and it's so dang hard and look at you! Way. To. Go.
  • StacyRenee77
    StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!!
  • Lauriesongs
    Lauriesongs Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You're right about people on here - we all know what a huge accomplishment any weight loss can be. You've taken control ol your health and you should be very proud! This post is an inspiration to all of us. Good luck on your journey!
  • tam6van
    tam6van Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Those are great results! Way to go????!
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! I work in healthcare and get really excited when I see improvements like yours in my clients! Great Job!
  • bobwest185
    bobwest185 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That is great improvement. Keep up the great work and please continue to report your successes.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm a big proponent of the health benefits of eating right and staying active- not everything is preventable, but so much is. Keep up the good work.
  • exercise2day2
    exercise2day2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Excellent work, great to see those not so obvious results coming to light!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    All other awesome numbers aside that is a fantastic drop in your glucose level! Keep it up!!!
  • swsays
    swsays Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Keep up the good work! I had my chol/trig drawn on Friday and am waiting to see if my last six months of exercise and mindful eating have had the effect I'm hoping for! Fingers crossed for changes as big as yours!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!