Caffeine Withdraw- HEADACHE

Options
I am trying to quit drinking soda but by day two I have almost migraine strength headaches, any ideas on how to battle through that?

Replies

• F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Wean yourself off little by little. I went from 2 energy drinks a day to one, then from that to a small redbull and a cup of coffee, now I'm down to just one cup of coffee. In another week I want to ditch the coffee or switch to decaf. If you quit cold turkey, you will likely have a headache. If you NEED to quit immediately due to a medical condition, take some aleve or some other headache medicine without caffeine in it.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Go to Walgreens and buy some migraine relief that has caffeine in the pills. They will ease the withdrawal symptoms and eventually you won't need them anymore.

ETA: If you are quitting because caffeine is the problem for you and not the other chemicals/things in pop... disregard my advice. I had a severe Diet Coke addiction and quit cold turkey a month ago. I needed to take the migraine relief a few times the first week or so, but didn't need it after that.
  • Heir0fFir3
    Heir0fFir3 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and try and do some exercise. Good luck with it, I've never made it past a week!
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've gone through caffeine withdrawal a few times. The headaches for me lasted about 3 days (but once they ended, my cravings for diet coke left with them). Painkillers generally don't hit the spot. I just went to bed early and ate a square or two of chocolate if things were getting bad.

Now, I don't do the cold turkey thing any more. I'm currently trying to come off caffeine and I've been doing it very slowly and it's a lot less stressful and my needs the caffeine less and less with each week.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Have a cup of coffee .... Coffee is a cure ALL in my house.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had really bad migraines for the first three days where I felt awful. Bear with it, it will pass and believe me you will feel so much better once they've gone. I still drink coffee but have exchanged fizzy drinks for iced water and no more headaches. You will get through this :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    tea or coffee

cut down bit by bit rather than go cold turkey

also, is there a specific reason for giving up caffeine? because it's not necessary to give up caffeine to lose weight. Just make sure you log any drinks you have that have calories in them, so you're not accidentally going over your calorie goal because of them. If you find soft drinks to be a waste of calories, then drink tea or coffee instead - black tea no sugar has virtually no calories in it... i'm not sure of the calories in coffee because i hate it but with only a little milk and sugar - or none at all - it's going to be much fewer calories than drinking soft drinks
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    That so happened to me too... Day 1... Extremely tired... Day 2 headache that went away with a little caffeine (crystal light plus caffeine)... Day 3 onwards, I feel totally fine. No problems. I'm off it until the 27th of this month.
  • justpeachy99
    Options
    I am working on the same thing.. soda all around basically. I have been working on just decreasing the size of the soda.. Today was an exception but generally am down to just a regular size 12 oz can of dr. pepper. Most of the time is one if that a day. Have the migraine meds on hand just in case. Tomorrow I am getting the 8 oz cans and hopefully after I get where I don't have to have my soda anymore. I have a hard time with getting bored with tea and water. I do have herbal tea and so i guess I am going to have to start using that.