Oh no!!

Options
Hey guys I wonder if you can help!! I'm going round my grandparents in a couple of hours and my grans jut rung to say she is going to cook for me and as its Easter shes made chocolate brownies as she knows there my favourite. I'm currently trying so hard with my diet and I really don't want to risk ruining it by eating chocolate brownies and then whatever meal she has cooked if its not healthy or the right size! ( I've got a bit paranoid with measuring quantities) obviously I don't want to offend her so I think I'm going to have to eat it just NO seconds aha but of I do what will I have to do to insure I don't throw my diet right off? Will I need to like not eat anything for the rest of the day or what? Any advice would be useful. If you need to know anything like my weight calorie goal or anything just ask :) thank you for your help x

Replies

• GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Nothing can "ruin" your diet. Just eat small portions of what you like and you will be fine. The most important thing is having a food plan that works in real life. Visiting your grandmother is part of real life. This is a good opportunity to practise portion control.
  • lrob79
    lrob79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just eat it, as long as you are sticking to your goals the vast majority of the time you will be fine. You should still eat for the rest of the day, but maybe reduce the portion sizes slightly, but even that isnt really necessary, as long as you are at a calorie deficit at the end of the week, you have still had a good week.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    One day wont ruin everything. Just enjoy your day eat in moderation and tomorrow get back onto your plan.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the time with your grandmother and that she is cooking special for you, one meal is not going to ruin anything.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the time with your grandmother and that she is cooking special for you, one meal is not going to ruin anything.

Exactly... Wish I could still have dinner with my Granddad.... Enjoy the moments - the memories are way more important than a few measly calories.

--> :-p <-- Grow up and suck it up. :-p <-- in case you missed the 1st one
  • vincimama
    Options
    darlink , just sing favourite song wiz the kitties 1st to deplete energy load, then sleep it off darling:drinker:
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I think you need to cherish this time with your grandmother and just relax and enjoy yourself. One day won't affect anything. Go for an extra walk before or after if that would make you feel better. Eat just one brownie instead of several. Try to plate up your own food if you can. It's Easter, don't feel bad about indulging a little. This is a lifestyle change, don't let it get in your way of living.
  • skinnyin60
    skinnyin60 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just see it as a really good opportunity to practise your self control. Pre log everything and eat the brownie in moderation. Nothing in an appropriate amount will have a lasting effect on your weight, its quantity which hurts you!
  • RozzeleS
    RozzeleS Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    be sensible don't go crazy with portion sizes and log the calories as normal, go for low cal on any other meals or snacks you plan to eat, do not go with it skipping meals would hinder more then help, try addin a lil extra exercise so you have more nutrition to play with.. most of all enjoy your day :)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I think you need to cherish this time with your grandmother and just relax and enjoy yourself. One day won't effect anything. Go for an extra walk before or after if that would make you feel better. Eat just one brownie instead of several. Try to plate up your own food if you can. It's Easter, don't feel bad about indulging a little. This is a lifestyle change, don't let it get in your way of living.

this a hundred times. I wish I could spend the day with any of my grandparents. I would eat whatever they prepared for me, knowing that they prepared it for me with a genuine and loving heart. One day of eating will not ruin me, but one day of worry and stress over food can spoil the day, which is the last thing I would want, knowing that my Grandmas are truly not going to be around for much longer. I'd much rather cherish and treasure the time we do have left, than let fear of food spoil things.
  • ladylalazz
    Options
    darlink just do what I do - sing favourite song with the kitties until energy lost and sleep it off to midnight next day- suck garlic water cubes then spray mouth freshness darlink - always it works this way - merry eester darlink! ka-*****!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I wonder if you can help!! I'm going round my grandparents in a couple of hours and my grans jut rung to say she is going to cook for me and as its Easter shes made chocolate brownies as she knows there my favourite. I'm currently trying so hard with my diet and I really don't want to risk ruining it by eating chocolate brownies and then whatever meal she has cooked if its not healthy or the right size! ( I've got a bit paranoid with measuring quantities) obviously I don't want to offend her so I think I'm going to have to eat it just NO seconds aha but of I do what will I have to do to insure I don't throw my diet right off? Will I need to like not eat anything for the rest of the day or what? Any advice would be useful. If you need to know anything like my weight calorie goal or anything just ask :) thank you for your help x

I would eat one slowly and tell her just one because I was trying to get healthy per my doctor, who told me to lose weight. Grandmothers understand health problems. I would be nice, smile and say I had to do what the doctor said.

I might also tell her how delicious it is and to pack a few to take with me to share with friends/neighbors/co-workers, then throw them away after I left.

Grandmothers make food like that because they want to be appreciated. You are not obligated to eat everything relatives make for you -- just find a way to be nice about it and let them know you appreciate the thought.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I would eat one slowly and tell her just one because I was trying to get healthy per my doctor, who told me to lose weight. Grandmothers understand health problems. I would be nice, smile and say I had to do what the doctor said.

I might also tell her how delicious it is and to pack a few to take with me to share with friends/neighbors/co-workers, then throw them away after I left.

great advice NOT :ohwell:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    One day wont ruin everything. Just enjoy your day eat in moderation and tomorrow get back onto your plan.

This
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

This

+1
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I would eat a million brownies and put on ten lbs just to be able to spend one day with my Nana again .....

This this this and more THIS. Nothing will get off track from one off day if you don't let it. If it helps you any just consider it like one of the days from before you started tracking. One day is nothing worth crumbling over.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Grandmothers understand health problems.

LOL where are you from (or more importantly where is your grandmother from) that she understands health problems?!? I had a fat Polish grandmother that never trusted doctors and believed many many things were solved with butter.

This of course led to me having a mother who also doesn't put a lick of faith in anything a doctor says.

If you have a grandmother that understands that more power to you. My grandmother only understood trying to stuff me with pierogies while simultaneously complaining about how fat I was, even though I wasn't even fat at the time. Still miss her badly!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Grandmothers understand health problems.

LOL where are you from (or more importantly where is your grandmother from) that she understands health problems?!?

I believe the concept is that senior citizens in general understand health problems as they either have a few of their own, or know several friends that do. Saying all that doctor stuff may draw unnecessary attention to OP's diet and draw a lot of unwanted questions, though

I dunno. I feel there should be some middle ground here. I definitely know of people who enjoy the day with their parents and relatives when they come out to visit and then throw out the goodies everybody made the next day. Personally I think taking some of it to work to share is a great idea (actually taking it, not trashing it LOL). Some of us simply WON'T practice moderation and will stuff ourselves to death if there's such delicious goodies around.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Eat your grandma's brownies!

I would eat a million brownies and put on ten lbs just to be able to spend one day with my Nana again .....

Be thankful she is still arounf making you brownies!

This. I find it so sad that instead of continuing to look forward to and enjoying special time with family, many who join here suddenly spend the time agonising over what to eat and how to deal with the oh so terrible food that has been made for them with love. One day will NOT do anything, other than add a little possible water weight. It is the longterm trend that matters.