Whats the problem with deadlifting?

Options
So I was at my gym yesterday morning and I had just finished up a set of deadlifts and squats when I was approached (rather rudely) by a gym staff member that my membership was getting flagged because I was deadlifting and apparently those type of exercises were not allowed. When I asked why, my question was taken as confrontational (which was not my intent) and the staff member became irate. I really just wanted a logical explanation. I explained I had seen lots of people doing deadlifts on a daily basis for the past four months and that I, myself, had been doing them for a while and was unaware that they weren't allowed. I was told it was because the gym owners banned them. Really? Thats the explanation? Oh, ya that clears things up! Sheesh... I really just want to know why. This seems so absurd to me. Why was I singled out among the many whom I had seen doing these before? I know I wasn't slamming down the weights and I was using proper technique. Can anyone explain to me why the deadlift is being banned in certain gyms?

Replies

• Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Time to join a different gym! What an idiotic thing to say! How can you possibly 'ban' deadlifts! I am in shock.....
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with deadlifts, so long as you have good form and don't use weights that are too heavy for your current level of strength.

If it was me I'd ask for a refund of my membership fees and find another gym, because if I can't deadlift then there's really no point me being in a gym, because all my fitness goals require me to do deadlifts.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's some safety concern issue. Like Meloonie said time to join a different gym! Was that ban listed in your policy / membership paperwork? If not you could raise the issue, but I think you are better off going somewhere else!

Btw there's nothing wrong with dead lifts when the proper technique is being used! Love them! Best of luck to you on achieving your lifetime fitness goals and just being healthy!
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Because the vast majority of people are clueless on form and technique when Dead-lifting. From that, they get injuries and blame the gym owners for not assisting. There are also medical professionals who are completely against DLs and claim no one should be doing them.

Utter ****e!

I miss the old days when gyms hired trainers to walk the gym and assist members in form and techniques, which were immediately corrected. Those days are, sadly, gone.

Find a proper gym that will let you do what you need and want.
  • LovenderNurse
    LovenderNurse Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah I love to lift and how can one lift without them??? I mean really, it's one of the best exercises out there. Im just really confused why this particular exercise is banned and not others.
  • LovenderNurse
    Options
    I won't be renewing my membership just from the way I was treated, but I have been asking a few friends and I've heard that other gyms are taking the same stance. So why go to another gym that will take me twice as long to drive to if deadlifts are being banned there as well?
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has put himself together quite a decent set of weights with racks and barbells and plates for pretty cheap off of craigslist.... Maybe the membership fees would be put to better use that way, then you can set your own lifting rules at home and not worry about these people treating you this way... you are paying THEM after all, they should at least be decent.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Find out where the serious lifters go to workout in your area, because I'm sure there must be at least one gym where you are that isn't against deadlifting.

I get you re not wanting to go further to still be not allowed to do deadlifts! That would be pointless. But keep looking in your area, maybe check whether there are websites for powerlifters, bodybuilders and other people who are serious about using free weights, and find out what places they recommend.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I would be fuming...are there signs up that say DL are banned? Did you sign something to say you won't do them? Disgusted at the way you have been treated, you pay to use the gym not be spoken to rudely about 'secret' rules!
  • LovenderNurse
    Options
    Home gym is in the making!! I have the equipment just not enough space to fit it all in, lol. Summer project is to turn the downstairs office into a weight room. From now on I'll be doing my deadlifts at home though... smh
  • Fredhatfield2
    Fredhatfield2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It could be a safety issue... You should keep in mind that just because you have good form doesn't mean everyone else does. On that same note, just because you don't slam or drop your weights doesn't mean everyone else is as careful. You, being careful with form, might just be getting caught up in a larger crowd that doesn't.

Owning a gym has a huge problem. I did a study on injuries in gyms back in the 80's and a lawyer (who was also a lifter) told me that he suspects that EVERY (he put a heavy emphasis on "heavy") gym was going to have a lawsuit or threat of one brought up at some time during the gym's existence. My powerlifting coach lost his gym because of it, and he was a very careful man.

I'm not sticking up for the gym owner, but just giving a different perspective. It could also be that he's got a vendetta against deadlifts and is just being a jerk. The only thing I can think to do is go back in a week or so and request a meeting with the owner or manager in a non-confrontational manner to hear the reasoning. I wouldn't be surprised if his insurance policy won't allow it. I'd be interested to hear the answer to that.

My stance on deadlifts? Hey, like I mentioned, I'm a former powerlifter.... Great exercise! As for the rude gym worker... Shame on him. I suspect you were a bit winded after your set any probably weren't speaking normally and he took it as confrontational. As a person who works in a gym, he should see that daily! Even if that isn't the case, there's no reason for an employee to be rude to a customer.
  • LovenderNurse
    Options
    Ack, it was in the ***fine print*** I guess. I just didn't pay attention, so ultimately it was my bad but definitely didn't call for the rude behavior. It was a simple mistake and I know I wasn't the only one who made it. No need to send out the cavalry and burn me at the stake over it.
  • LovenderNurse
    Options
    It could be a safety issue... You should keep in mind that just because you have good form doesn't mean everyone else does. On that same note, just because you don't slam or drop your weights doesn't mean everyone else is as careful. You, being careful with form, might just be getting caught up in a larger crowd that doesn't.

Owning a gym has a huge problem. I did a study on injuries in gyms back in the 80's and a lawyer (who was also a lifter) told me that he suspects that EVERY (he put a heavy emphasis on "heavy") gym was going to have a lawsuit or threat of one brought up at some time during the gym's existence. My powerlifting coach lost his gym because of it, and he was a very careful man.

I'm not sticking up for the gym owner, but just giving a different perspective. It could also be that he's got a vendetta against deadlifts and is just being a jerk. The only thing I can think to do is go back in a week or so and request a meeting with the owner or manager in a non-confrontational manner to hear the reasoning. I wouldn't be surprised if his insurance policy won't allow it. I'd be interested to hear the answer to that.

My stance on deadlifts? Hey, like I mentioned, I'm a former powerlifter.... Great exercise! As for the rude gym worker... Shame on him. I suspect you were a bit winded after your set any probably weren't speaking normally and he took it as confrontational. As a person who works in a gym, he should see that daily! Even if that isn't the case, there's no reason for an employee to be rude to a customer.

Thank you for explaining this to me, I'm sorry your friend/coach lost his gym. What a shame!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I find this amusing (not the OPs treatment, but the "deadlift phobia". I work at a hospital based fitness center and just about everybody deadlifts at some point. Most of it is not heavy, but still....men, women, in their 50s, 60s, 70s-you name it. All of the trainers use deadlifts with their clients when appropriate.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    was the gym Planet Fitness? I used to go there and was told the same thing when I asked for help with my form. Idiots. Anyway, I eventually was able to switch gyms, which is my suggestion to you. Good luck!
  • LovenderNurse
    Options
    I am a nurse and a licensed massage therapist, I know all about proper form and good body mechanics, but yeah everyone deadlifts. My own personal trainer from years back loved to work deadlifts into my routine. But I suppose if someone wants to be a jerk and sue the gym for injuring themselves then I can understand (somewhat) but, shouldn't that be to our own discretion? After all there is a waiver that every one must sign about not suing the establishment if they happen to injure themselves. Just ridiculous.
  • LovenderNurse
    Options
    was the gym Planet Fitness? I used to go there and was told the same thing when I asked for help with my form. Idiots. Anyway, I eventually was able to switch gyms, which is my suggestion to you. Good luck!

Not Planet Fitness, it is Blue Moon Fitness. Gold's Gym has the same policy. Everything else is too far a drive to be worth the effort. And honestly when I signed my contract I didn't even think about lifting weights so I just skimmed over that stuff because at the time it just didn't apply to me.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Let me guess, you go to Planet Fitness?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Not Planet Fitness, it is Blue Moon Fitness. Gold's Gym has the same policy. Everything else is too far a drive to be worth the effort. And honestly when I signed my contract I didn't even think about lifting weights so I just skimmed over that stuff because at the time it just didn't apply to me.

Gold's Gym does not have the same policy, at least not chain-wide. I go to Gold's and I deadlift all the time, so do a dozen other people I see when I'm there, and my trainer has me do them when I work with her.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I have spent a total of about $1,500 on my home gym setup and it's better than most gyms. I also have a lot more weight than you'll ever need so I'm sure that you can do it for even cheaper than that. I also have a lot of strongman implements which tend to be a bit expensive, even if you make them yourself. it just takes a little ingenuity, elbow grease and bargaining ability. My first gym setup was built from 2x4's (bench and squat rack) and they were a lot stronger than would be necessary for most people. That cost me about $100 for the 2x4's and screws. If you decide to do this PM me and I'll send you pictures so you can see how to put it together. It's easier than you would think. Then I got weights from garage sales and off of craigslist.org. I spent about $300 to get an old 65lb squat bar and approx 1,000lbs of weight. It's hard to sell weights so if you come with intent and a pocket full of cash you have plenty of leverage for negotiation. Now I can deadlift, make a mess with my chalk, listen to my own music, etc.. It was the best thing I have ever done for my lifting goals.