Do carbs make you fat?

Options

Replies

• MrsRatfire
    MrsRatfire Posts: 102
    Options
    NO, they do not. Everyone on this site chooses the % of Carbs, Fat, Protein and Sugars. You made a good point, the Paleo Fad. Before this, we have the low carb fad. Another big one was the Low Fat fad that swept the nation with the "Stop The Insanity" craze. Then of course South Beach, Jenny Craig, you name it, it has been a fad. Dieters love to say THEY HAVE THE ANSWER! And maybe for them they do. But one size does not fit all.

Your plan is working. March on!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make you fat.
    Sugar doesn't make you fat.
    Protein doesn't make you fat.
    Chocolate doesn't make you fat.
    Eating more calories than you burn off makes you fat. Simple as that.
    But, you can't sell books, run blogs, or make Netflix/Youtube documentaries to scare everyone if "something" doesn't make us fat.

it would be a short book ..

chapter 1 - stop over eating.

eat in a calorie deficit

end book…

/thread
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm carb sensitive so I gain extremely easily if I have too many carbs i just limit my carbs to about 70g or less an spread it out an eat the healthier carbs.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    s
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    no, but overeating does
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Carbs are magically delicious

lucky.jpg
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    0f26a2ea-7f6f-4372-87d3-f7e0592437bb_thumb.jpeg
  • ggluvbug1
    ggluvbug1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It depends on your metabolism, there is no hard and fast rule.

Over the last 60 years there has been an increased consumption of carbohydrates and a corresponding increase in metabolic syndrome problems (obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, stroke). There has also been an increase in consumption of processed foods which are also high in carbohydrates.

If you want to dig into the science on this stuff read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. It documents the science and history behind a bunch of the issues around macro nutrients and health. It is highly researched, and it is NOT a diet book, just a book on the history of nutrition and key health issues.

In terms of which "carbs" you eat it is largely irrelevant, all carbohydrates eaten in quantity cause insulin spikes. In some cases fruit (oranges for example) will cause you as hard an insulin spike as coke. Any time you get your blood sugar above a certain threshold you risk serious health complications (like comas) so your body uses insulin as an emergency valve to keep you alive. Insulin pushes all the nutrients out of your blood into fat, so eating carbs and insulin spiking causes you to gain and retain weight. Insulin also plays hob with your entire biochemistry because it is a biological panic hormone, and drowns out dozens of other hormones. Glycemic Index is a good basic indicator of how hard your insulin will spike eating a food.

Now the relative part is that some people can eat more carbohydrates without severe long or short term problems, it is entirely dependant on your metabolic reactions to carbohydrates. Some people will have insulin spiking at 20 grams of carbs a day, others can eat 300+ grams a day.

Anecdotally obesity has been treated with low carbohydrate diets very successfully, with no long term health issues. I for one eat low carb and sometimes ketogenic, I rarely go above 75g of carbohydrates a day, and try to keep it below 50g. I have been low carb for 3 years now, and my blood work is very good, so this works for me. What works for someone else will be different entirely, and you have to figure that out on your own.

^
    This!
    ^
    Nope.

Curious why you so no....this is exactly what my doctor and I have been discussing in regards to my insulin resistance and elevated A1C. Different people do respond to carbs differently.

To make long story short, let's assume everything said until the part where an insulin spike flushes all the macros out of your bloodstream and puts them into fat storages is true, since I don't know the specifics of that and the important part comes afterwards anyway.
    That doesn't make your body stop needing energy to work. Since there's no nutrients in your blood anymore your body has to get them from somewhere else. Like the newly made fat storages from before.
    The energy is needed, no way around it. If the energy is already in your blood or has to be taken from your stores, no (significant) difference.

Ok, I don't know specifically about the book. I was referring to the insulin spikes and how people's bodies respond to carbs differently. In general, I would agree that carbs don't make you fat. And, in general, I would agree that a calorie is a calorie. But I also know that people with known or unknown issues with blood sugar, insulin resistance, etc do not utilize the carbs eaten as efficiently. A person with an insulin resistance does not have the same sensitivity to insulin as a typical person. Excess sugar in the blood stream is then processed by the liver and is stored as fat. In addition, the insulin level is raised in the body because of the excess sugar which overwhelms insulin receptors in cells, creating a consistently high insulin level in the blood stream. When the body has a high level of insulin in the blood stream, it tells the body that energy is available and does not use energy from reserves (fat storage). So, not only is the body storing fat from excess sugar, it is not using the energy available. The result is weight gain if the problem isn't not controlled. So, for some people, yes, carbs CAN make you fat.

I am only pointing this out because after reading a lot of posts on here, there seems to be a lot of black and white ideas about how the body uses the food it takes in. This is only one of a lot of issues that affects some people trying to lose weight. I know that it isn't the norm, but it can't be forgotten either. If someone is watching what they are eating and doing what the science tells them to do and it isn't working, it is time to consider other things.....not trying to be argumentative, just sharing some thoughts.
  • Sonicz90x
    Sonicz90x Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well. It only took 3 pages for this thread to become a full blown insulin resistance thread. Not surprised it did, am surprised it took so long.
    Everyone knows insulin defies law. It's magic.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    It's funny how since I've switched to 50% carbs for tri training season I've found that I'm now losing weight at maintenance (and I've got my exercise numbers perfectly down so it's not that). So all I can think is that my basal metabolic rate is now higher.

My abs are beginning to pop out so it's fat loss. I'm having to eat over maintenance because I don't want to lose my girls, drop any more bf, and I'm at my racing weight. In fact that's why I'm here at 1am, midnight snacking!

The other thing is, HUNGER IS OK AND NORMAL!

I don't know why it freaks us all out so much. On maintenance I expect to spend an hour or so leading up to my meals being well...you know...hungry!! It's not cravings, addictions,starvation or neediness!

It's hunger and it's ok. I never used to tolerate it when I comfort ate and was out of shape. Keto and low carb got rid of the hunger but made me miserable and terrible at sports.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    someone told me paleo is not really for vegetarians, as a lot of protein comes from meat.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    I'm carb sensitive so I gain extremely easily if I have too many carbs i just limit my carbs to about 70g or less an spread it out an eat the healthier carbs.

Are you sure?

I think you should challenge yourself here.

Probably what happens is you eat them and your muscles fill up with glycogen and water which is a mighty good thing and perfectly normal.

You weigh more and freak out that you've gained weight, but it's not fat weight.

I used to be like this.

I bet if you ate at maintenance you would gain 3/5 pounds then if you carried on eating lots of carbs and cut again you'd lose weight just as planned. Difference is you wouldn't be depleted, and have loads of energy to do the things you need to do to become fitter ie build muscle (energy engines) and burn body fat. All the while eating like a teenager.
  • SLippi
    SLippi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_ml2xgkTX5w1qz4rgp.gif

I love Moss, great topic and better post! Seldom see IT crowd references.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

This.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-05/low-carb-diet-may-shorten-your-life-study-finds/5299284

A new Australian 3 year study on the effects of low carb vs high carb diets on mice.

<snip>

"What we did find is in late mid-life, when we analysed their health, the animals on the best diet, the low-protein, high-carbohydrate diets, had better blood pressure, had better LDL cholesterol, had better glucose tolerance, less diabetes and so on," he said.

/<snip>

hmmm...
  • Springfield1970
    Options

This.

Yeah baby!

Not being hungry is so 1995!
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Even if they did..I don't care.. I need 3000 calories just to maintain.. It's next to impossible for me to be on a low carb diet
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    No.

Excess calories do.

This is the only post you need to listen to. All other answers are pointless