running with Exercise-Induced Urinary Incontinence

Options
2»

Replies

• LisasLastTen
    LisasLastTen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also had sling surgery three weeks ago. I'm going crazy not being able to exercise, mostly because I feel 100% fine. Still, my doctor told me not to strain myself at all for six weeks (and no sex - boo!), and I'm listening and being a good patient.

I am very eager to see how well this actually works. I will say that I have inadvertently given myself the "sneeze really hard" test a couple of times since having surgery and I have had almost no leaks at all with big sneezes. (I sneeze really hard and sometimes they would cause me to leak so badly I'd have to run to the bathroom.)

I will say that prior to having surgery I was noticing a slight improvement in my ability to stay dry when exercising. I attribute that to reducing the amount of coffee and wine I was drinking. I found on several websites that both wine and coffee can be hard on your bladder. I try to stick with one cup of coffee a day and little to no wine and that helps quite a bit.

But I will say the surgery was remarkably easy and almost completely painless. I will have a follow-up on May 7 and hope to be back at the gym that same night.

Good luck to you, and kudos to everyone who feels okay talking about this sometimes embarrassing topic.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Glad this thread is still alive! I have had much better luck this year with NOT peeing myself at every race finish. I am not sure what has changed, except I am not running as hard and fast as last year. Potentially when the race season amps up the problem will return. I don't like to wear underwear when I run so I don't see a pad being the answer for me. Thanks for the candid answers, Ladies! It's an embarassing problem to have :blushing:
  • findingtracy
    findingtracy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    oh, thank goodness for you people! I thought it was just me.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Running seems to have gotten better...still an issue with jumping jacks and high knees, tho. :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,665 Member
    Options
    Lol, 3 women in my class admit to wearing "Depends" when attending my hour long kbox session.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    We just had an amusing conversation about powerlifting girls in our Bulking forum and how it's mentally safer to wear heavy duty pads whilst lifting so you don't have to stress about peeing yourself.

You gotta do what you gotta do- aint no shame in that game!!!