Greek Buffet...

Options
Went to a Greek restaurant with the family and enjoyed the buffet. I have no idea what various dishes and amounts I ate. This was lunch and I am still not hungry. Do I estimate some huge caloric intake or just forget logging today and start again tomorrow?

Replies

• OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Log it and own and move on. If you are honest with yourself about what you eat it will make it that much more difficult to maintain. I log bad days and good days alike. You need to log everything on your weight loss journey, even if you are over by a little or a lot.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It will not do any harm to miss the odd day of logging. Your life and your weight loss do not depend on it, as long as you are consistent the rest of the time. I think those who obsess over the occasional day are just taking things too far. One unlogged meal is not going to do a damned thing in the grand scheme of things. But if you feel you must, just find the closest entries in the database and use guesswork.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If you don't know what you ate how would you log it?
    If you can guess a calorie intake then go ahead but if you cannot remember there are no other options then to skip the meal (not the entire day) and log tomorrow.

You still have dinner to log (if you want to!) :)
  • schnee1
    schnee1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just gave up logging for the day. Happy to see that my weekly weight this am was right on target....:)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you know the names of what you ate, there are very few greek dishes not in the database, and most I have checked are accurate regarding calories at least, based on my own recipes (I am greek). If you do not know how much or what you ate, that's a different story.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you've no idea really what you ate, skip the logging and move on. If you have an idea what you ate, log that and move on. The moving on bit is the important bit!

Sounds like it was a great meal though!

While I get the point that a single unlogged meal isn't going to derail anything, I'm a little fussy when it comes to logging. A great tip someone shared on the site is to take pictures of your meal before you eat it (if no-one is going to get weird about it...) - that'll help with the logging later.

That tip is obviously not going to help you now, but it might help someone as fussy as me later!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm very jealous. LOVE Greek and Turkish food. I usually work my way round the plate guessing what each item might have and then round up by about 10% and consider that the best I can do under the circumstances. A lot of it will be very healthy in any case. Unless you're going regularly it shouldn't matter too much if you are over.
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Being from Bulgaria (the country above Greece and Turkey) our kitchens are really close to one another and unfortunately there are not a lot of entered dishes in the MFP database that are accurate.

If you know the names of what you ate it would be easiest to just search for the recipes and enter them into MFP recipe log - that's what I've started doing for some of the traditional dishes that have every now and then.

If you don't know their names - you might post a description of what you think there was in the meal and I, and am sure there are Greeks and Greek-kitchen-fans around here, might try to help you figure out what you had. :)

But yeah... depending on the size there is a scary chance of having had some huuuuge calorie and fat intake >.>