PCOS, metformin, and side effects

Anyone have side effects from metformin as a treatment for PCOS?

I have never sweated like this in my life.

Replies

• pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    I had a lot of stomach problems when I took it previously, but I think that was about it. You want to make sure you're taking a multivitamin until your symptoms subside as it is known to cause deficiencies.
  • When I took Metformin I would randomly sweat for no reason at all and had the worse stomach issues. I would also get dizzy/light headed when standing up
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    I had to get monthly b shots at the clinic. It caused severe muscle pain for me.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    I had a lot of stomach problems, so I don't take metformin anymore. It wasn't worth it. :(
  • Elly1021
    Elly1021 Posts: 16 Member
    I also had major stomach issues from it. Couldn't handle it.
  • julez4774
    julez4774 Posts: 80 Member
    i have pcos i never had side effects only problem i got is shifting the weight
  • I'm only on day 6 of meds. Day 2 - diarrhea and bad stomach upset. Day 5- mild diarrhea and bad stomach upset. I have dropped 6.9 lbs sinceTuesday so it's worth it for me. I am also on Aldactone. I know one of them is supposed to deplete potassium, I did wake up with a Charlie horse which sucked. Overall, symptoms are manageable however it's still early for me.
  • Leggo1288
    Leggo1288 Posts: 25 Member
    If you happen to develop stomach issues and you are not on the Extended release metformin you may want to ask. That made all the difference for me.
  • His_Amet
    His_Amet Posts: 9 Member
    I've been on metformin for years, and I must agree, the slow release kind definitely worked much better for me. I still get the sweats, from time to time, but my stomach problems are all gone.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Normal Metformin is awful, could not get off the loo, passing out, dizziness, sweats etc I swapped to the XR (extended release) and there are zero side effects aside from the first two weeks of mild stomach upset. I've been on it for years to help regulate periods as well as control diabetes and it has no negative effects on me at all.
  • JennsJourney30
    JennsJourney30 Posts: 99 Member
    I have PCOS also. They just put me on Metformin. Filling the script this week.