Fitbits... are they really worth it?

Options
Hello,

Today I upgraded to the Fitbit Flex from the zip.

I am concerned about how sensitive it is to movement. Reason being is that I have only been wearing it for approx 2-3 hours and it says on my app that I have done 1095 steps. When I click on the part that it says this it opens up a graph which says "Steps 427" Does this mean my steps are 1095 or 427 in the 2-3 hour period. Slightly confused! I have also just gotten up to go to the bathroom, wash my hands and it has said that I have jumped up just over 200 steps!!!! :/

Upon upgrading my Fitbit I also upgraded my phone so until now I never had the app either! Because the Zip says it all on the wee screen I hardly ever went online to the Fitbit website either.

I am also worried it is going to pick up on basic daily activities that involve my wrist movement such as typing. Has anybody experienced this?

I have sync'd MFP and Fitbit together so I assume I only log food into MFP? What about other exercise like cycling, rowing and elliptical, do I log this into MFP? I assume the FitBit will only pick up things like walking?

Sorry for so many questions, I have had a look at past topics and managed to answer some questions from them but I am still slightly confused.

Any help, advice or info regarding the Fitbit and it's use is thoroughly appreciated.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have one. It's good but I love my HRM a ton more.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Today I upgraded to the Fitbit Flex from the zip.

I am concerned about how sensitive it is to movement. Reason being is that I have only been wearing it for approx 2-3 hours and it says on my app that I have done 1095 steps. When I click on the part that it says this it opens up a graph which says "Steps 427" Does this mean my steps are 1095 or 427 in the 2-3 hour period. Slightly confused! I have also just gotten up to go to the bathroom, wash my hands and it has said that I have jumped up just over 200 steps!!!! :/

Upon upgrading my Fitbit I also upgraded my phone so until now I never had the app either! Because the Zip says it all on the wee screen I hardly ever went online to the Fitbit website either.

I am also worried it is going to pick up on basic daily activities that involve my wrist movement such as typing. Has anybody experienced this?

I have sync'd MFP and Fitbit together so I assume I only log food into MFP? What about other exercise like cycling, rowing and elliptical, do I log this into MFP? I assume the FitBit will only pick up things like walking?

Sorry for so many questions, I have had a look at past topics and managed to answer some questions from them but I am still slightly confused.

Any help, advice or info regarding the Fitbit and it's use is thoroughly appreciated.

Hi! That's a whole lot of questions. First, may I recommend the Fitbit Group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users

I started with a flex and chose a zip instead for two reasons. First, it doesn't pick up steps made if you are not swinging your arm (pushing a shopping cart for example), it makes sense that it would pick up wrist movements that are not step related (I was getting steps when sleeping). Second, it wasn't really appropriate with my job for sanitary purposes.

I am not certain why you are getting the step differences, I don't have a data plan on my phone, so I have never used the app, just the website with my laptop.

As for non-step based exercise, you only log it in either Fitbit or MFP, otherwise it will be double logged. I have been logging it in MFP, I read somewhere that this is recommended, but I don't remember where.

Hopefully that has been helpful!
  • xoaimeexo
    Options
    Hi, I have joined the group as stated above and have posted in there as well. Doesn't seem to be as busy as here, hence posting here too.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Your initial question of 'are they really worth it?' I would say definitely yes. Bought mine as a 20lbs lost reward and it's certainly kept me motivated to do more and more to keep it happy!

I wear a FitBit One clipped to my bra but my partner has a Zip and if we go out walking together we get very similar distances. My FitBit One was also accurate to within a handful of calories of the gym machines yesterday over a 94 minute session across 3 different machines - which I find incredible!

I have not used one but would never choose the Flex or Force purely down to what you are finding with the arm movement problem. Why don't you wear both for a day and see how closely they match?
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    If it hadn't synced yet it would be lower... I use the website and the app but my fitbit doesnt sync with my phone, has to be near a computer. Can't say for sure on the flex but I have the one and it's always been accurate. 1K steps isn't that far off if you were moving around but if you were sitting maybe try to lower the sensetivity? I know there's a setting for the one on the website under settings that allows you to change how sensetive to movements our device is.
  • xoaimeexo
    Options
    It seems that mine must just be a dud. No wonder my steps were way out. Took it off while watching a movie tonight and it jumped up another couple of hundred steps sitting on the coffee table. Back to the shop tomorrow I think!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I would consider swapping it for a One if I were you.