Calories for milk in Tea and butter

Options
I have been doing this on and off for many years, and would be interested to know how people allow for milk in their daily allowance.

I am this time setting a realistic slow loss over the coming year, and do drink an awful lot of tea with the tiniest bit of skimmed milk and wondered how people allow - in addition to this how about butter on toast/bread

Vince

Replies

• _Iron_Man_
    _Iron_Man_ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid milk at all costs but sometimes it's impossible.

I never added milk into my logs because the amount I drink is very insignificant. I guess it would depend on how much you drink ?
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Milk and butter are calories. I log them. You can make a recipe for your tea so you can log it quicker.
  • If you're serious about losing weight and want to be honest with yourself. Then log EVERYTHING.
    If you're not honest with yourself, then you only have yourself to blame when you don't lose weight/body fat.
  • vwonnacott
    vwonnacott Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love tea, always have, but hate black tea so have no option - its difficult to even measure out a daily allowance as this works fine when at home, but when visiting other places as I do it doesnt work.

Im very methodical and a systems kinda person - I prefer to be methodical and know exactly what is in things and it frustrates guessing as we all know we need to when eating out etc.... its so easy to go 50 out on your allowance never mind 10 or so!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I log it, I only have about 30-40ml in my coffee (measure it out)...The 3 coffee's that I have (instant) usually come in at 90 calories for the day (I do have sugar too).
    The margarine I use I weigh too, again, I don't use an awful lot but it all adds up. The thing I'm guilty of not doing is measuring out my sauces (bbq, ketchup etc.)
  • vwonnacott
    vwonnacott Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was not suggesting not counting it and do count everything - I was just interested to know how much people allow.

Ive just checked and a full 1lt carton calculates at 330 calories,and have measured out what im likely to use for the day and created a recipe as suggested by Awesome guy

Thankyou all for your input.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I was ignoring the little things, but now that I'm going to a bulk I'm being more anal about it all.
    Previously, as my weight loss was going as I wanted, wihle I knew the figures were out by maybe 50-250 a day for food, I wasn't bothered.
    If you regularly log milk at home (stick the bottom on some digital scales before, set to 0, pour then see what negative number it shows), you should have a good idea when you're away.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I weigh butter that I spread on bread/toast.

For tea, I worked out roughly how much milk I use in tea (about 40 mls skimmed milk) and created a recipe for my cup of tea. One cup works out about 16 cals, and some days I drink a lot of tea, so it adds up. I also created a recipe for the same amount of semi-skimmed for when I have tea at a friend's house, or elsewhere.

ETA: I'm very methodical about my counting, but I'm also of the opinion that if you're not counting absolutely everything, and you're still losing weight as you want to, then that's ok too.
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I measured how much milk I have in one cup then took the average cups of tea I drink in a day. It worked out at 200mls of fat free milk a day which I just add into my diary every morning routinely. For butter I weighed how much I used on my toast one morning (5g) and add that each time I have butter.
    At work we have semi skimmed milk so I just try to use a tiny bit of milk in each cup.
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I weigh butter that I spread on bread/toast.

For tea, I worked out roughly how much milk I use in tea (about 40 mls skimmed milk) and created a recipe for my cup of tea. One cup works out about 16 cals, and some days I drink a lot of tea, so it adds up. I also created a recipe for the same amount of semi-skimmed for when I have tea at a friend's house, or elsewhere.

ETA: I'm very methodical about my counting, but I'm also of the opinion that if you're not counting absolutely everything, and you're still losing weight as you want to, then that's ok too.

But I think this is a better way to do it!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    For dinner I never use more than 1/2 cup of melted butter. That usually is enough to sautée veggies and add flavor to anything else. I usually stay less than 200 calories with it though. And for milk, I use fat free which is 90 calories per cup, but it's still logged, even when a small amount.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    For dinner I never use more than 1/2 cup of melted butter. That usually is enough to sautée veggies and add flavor to anything else. I usually stay less than 200 calories with it though. And for milk, I use fat free which is 90 calories per cup, but it's still logged, even when a small amount.
    Just to say a cup isn't really an accurate measure of butter. Also 1/2 a cup will likely be nearer the 800 mark than 200 which you are logging
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I weight the milk when I use it in hot drinks: mug on scales > pour in hot drink (expresso, hot water, tea) > take out tea bags or spoons > zero scales > pour in milk >> tadaa! scales tell me how much milk i've used.

for some things I make regularly like porridge, I have adjusted my recipe so that I can make it using one of *my*expresso cups to measure the porridge oats and the milk and then i've set up the recipe, so I know that my recipe for porridge is one expresso cup of oats and two of milk

if you're really stressed about the milk you're using when out an about, then you could take something like a measuring spoon with you - but I suspect that if you were to practice at home with the measuring spoon and scales, you will get to learn how to approximate your milk serving better.

I used to weight my breakfast cereal and milk every morning (for a couple of months), now I weight it once a week, and so far i've always been +/- 10ml milk which right now is good enough for me, this only works at home, using my bowl though :)

for toast - i weight the toast, butter it, then weigh it again - though i usually don't butter my toast I apply this same method for peanut butter and nutella

good luck
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have cut out milk and butter, and use unsweetened almond milk instead. And don’t use butter. They are small things but it adds up and its not something I miss .

Generally though rather then trying to log how much milk I drink in each cup of tea, , I find it easier to keep a record of the total amount I consume each day. So I dink about quarter of a litre a day.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Just to say a cup isn't really an accurate measure of butter. Also 1/2 a cup will likely be nearer the 800 mark than 200 which you are logging

I meant 1/4. My bad. Also, I said melted. Cups are accurate when using liquids.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I measured it so I could log it accurately. I have about a third of a cup of milk in my coffee and a splash, around 20ml in my tea. Butter is about 5gm per piece of bread although I am starting the process of cutting out all butter/marg.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    For butter on toast and milk in tea and coffee, I log a standard amount based on how much I was using a few months ago. As it's the same amount I've been using for years, I've no reason to suspect that it's changed. Of course, if I were to stop losing they would be the first things to be accurately measured (before I came onto the forums to check for other reasons!)

If I'm using butter or milk in cooking, it gets weighed or measured, just like any other high calorie food. I don't tend to accurately weigh my veggies in a recipe - there's generally not a lot of difference across servings if your courgettes weigh 450g, rather than 500g! (But again, thye're first against the wall when the plateau comes...)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    for my cream in my coffee I allow for 5tbsp as I have about 4 cups of coffee a day. Typically I warm it up prior to it being gone so it's not a complete 5tbsp but best to be over instead of under.

My butter I lay my knife on my scale turn on the scale...it goes to zero...I get butter on my knife (typically 5g for 1 piece of toast or veggies) and log it that way.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I always weigh butter because fats are so calorie dense but the tiny splash I used to log for skimmed milk no longer gets logged and doesn't seem to make any difference. You could calculate a daily average for your milk and deduct it from your preset daily allowance if you get tired of logging it?