type 2 diabetic

Options
I am Karen I am doing well with the calories and weight . I have just started. However my sugar levels have been high.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    how are your carbs? You still need to watch the carb levels for diabetes. diabetic here also.
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Reduce carbohydrates in your diet. Eat fewer than 115g in a day, trying to stay below 25g for each meal and 15g for snacks. If you can manage fewer, do it. If you're a reader, I recommend The Schwarzbein Principle by Dr. Diana Schwarzbein.

I was pre-diabetic last year, with my fasting blood glucose at 106. In the last 8 months I cut out all grains and legumes (large carb contributers) from my diet and try to keep the carbs from fruits and veggies under 50g per day. My fasting blood glucose is now 86; completely within normal range.
  • Mallyycatt
    Mallyycatt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hello! !

A lot of high sugar intake or carb intake will sway how your sugar levels are.
    Also, my trainer told me that if you're working out too vigorously that it can have a say in where your sugars are too.

Some doctors suggest eating three to six smaller meals a day to help keep sugars balanced, instead of having the highs and lows. :)

It's frustrating until you have it under control, but then it becomes a part of life!!

you can always message me or friend me :) I'm here for support!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    It's great that you're paying attention to calorie intake and losing weight. In addition to looking more closely at the amount of carbohdyrate you eat, also be sure to get regular daily exercise. Exercise also helps reduce blood sugar levels and as you continue to lose weight, you should see better blood sugar control. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • mumster66
    mumster66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find the exercise does much more for my blood sugars than either diet or medication. I can't convince my nutritionist of that, though!

I eat around 80 carbs a day, walk from a mile to three a day (have done even when not losing weight). I had my A1C down to 6.1 about two years ago. Then, as often happens, I binged for a while. This time is definitely more difficult, but I'm working on it.
  • karenfallison
    karenfallison Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Type 2 Diabetic as well. I am on a low carb high protein diet. My Dr suggested 3 carbs breakfast (15 grams per carb) 2.5 carb lunch & 2 carbs dinner. AM snack, mid-day snack & PM snack 1 carb each snack. Works for me!:drinker: