Would love some support

Options
faygerri
faygerri Posts: 14 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm new here but am a long term off/on dieter. I start off great and then stop as soon as I've lost ten pounds.

I love food and wine and don't exercise and as a result I have a huge amount of weight to shift. I really need some motivation and will power to stay on track and stop making excuses to eat/drink/sit on my *kitten*!

Please add me - it'd be great to offer support and hopefully get some support too.

Fay

Replies

• mjbself
    mjbself Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Fay!

Good Luck - Don't think of it as a diet, but a change to eat healthier. Simple food swaps help me start to eat healthier and get rid of some of those pesky cravings - not all of them :). I still love food and wine!

Small steps - big changes.

Unfortunately - exercise is important, so now that the weather is getting nicer, take a walk. You don't have to run a marathon. Use the steps instead of the elevator. All the little things make a difference even if you don't think they do!
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hi feel free to add me :) that goes for anyone. As for exercise its usually 70% food 30% exercise, that's what you usually hear health coaches and fitness trainers say. The reason is what you put in your body is the 1st stage of importance, 2nd stage is exercise which helps burn calories keep you trimmed and toned. Also helps along with a well balanced diet to gain strength and stamina. :)

So exercise is very important if your not very fit just do light moderate exercise. :)
  • MaeMaeSashay
    MaeMaeSashay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Fay. I've been using MFP off and on myself. But would really love to have it as a part of my daily routine permanently =) I just sent you an invite. Have a wonderful weekend!
  • kat2475
    kat2475 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request. My name is Katrina and I'm a stay at home mom in Michigan. My girls are about to turn 5 and 7. I'm currently going to school online to be a Medical Transcriptionist so I can work from home. Finding time to balance all of this with exercise is what I need help on. I have about 60 pounds to lose and have gone up and down over the past year. I need to get my graph to show more down than up!
  • BrianB51
    BrianB51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I just signed up last week.
    Now that I'm getting a little older, I'm finding that I can't get away with eating the way I did 15 or 20 years ago. Since joing this site I've started putting my meals together before I eat, then I can see where I need to tweak some things. One thing I'm noticing is that eating healthier food means I can eat a lot more food and still stay under my calorie goal, vice junk food. I looked at the schedule I put together today and I don't know if I can even eat all of it. So I encourage everyone to plan their meals out using the food tab and see how knowing what to eat before hand makes a huge difference. If you're already doing this great, let me know how this works for you and if anyone has other suggestions.
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I sent an invite. Anyone else is welcome to add me. I'm more involved in the News Feed than the community forums. But the more the merrier.

Starting weight: 318
    Current weight: 188
    Goal weight: 162 - 167 lbs
  • dwbotti
    dwbotti Posts: 29
    Options
    Your statement hits the mark. Quality food by volume is so much more food. I have had to start doing my prep on Sunday to help me make it easier. If I don't have to spend a ton of time at the point of the meal chopping veggies, weighing my portions, I'm more likely to eat healthy. If I have to do all that work, I'm likely to lean on a quick fix or a processed option. Great to see that's working for you!
  • 72Christie
    72Christie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hear you Fay -- I am pretty much the same -- serial yo-yo dieter, usually fall off the wagon after a few successful weeks. I'm pretty sure I've lost and regained the equivalent of my current body weight, probably at least twice over in the past 26 years.
    Finally seem to be able to get my head around the fact that I need to make a lifestyle change, so no more of the 'd' word (diet :wink: ) for me, starting today. I've sent you an invite. We can do this!
  • jadespider
    jadespider Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think this site is really great for helping you be more mindful about what you're going for, so just being here will help you out with that. In my case, I'm not even really trying to lose weight, but the act of logging everything helps me keep track of it and I find I'm eating less of the "bad" stuff and drinking more water - which is really helpful, of course.
  • nobel99
    nobel99 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    DIET is a 4 letter word, just saying. I don't believe in dieting at all. Like others have said, it's a lifestyle change. Dieting involves cutting out certain foods and starving yourself. This "My Fitness Pal" just serves to make you accountable for the food you do eat. Want that chocolate bar? Go ahead and eat it but count it in your daily intake....doesn't take long for you to make changes in your food choices, knowing how much of your daily "allowance" that treat involves! I eat at fast food places and eat chocolate (like others indulge in alcohol) but I then I know I have to "walk it off"....thats my preferred method of exercise as I don't go to the gym. If you have treats and foods you like, you'll be more apt to stay on track. Just log it....
    I have been doing this program for over 6 months now and have lost almost 30 pounds. People tell me I look good etc....am I trying to diet? I respond...NO! Not at all....I'm just making little changes in what I eat and making sure I "move my butt" everyday. I do have the occasional day where I find myself out of calories for the day and I have the munchies..... but it's not that way, everyday. Opening/unlocking your diary helps others to see what you're eating and make comments/suggestions. I find it very helpful to view other people's diaries as well....gives me meal/snack ideas!
    Feel free to add me...I am active on here everyday. I do, however, delete friends who are inactive for a month as I want people to keep it going.... not fall off the wagon.... we're all here to cheer each other on and listen when someone's had a bad day; in sickness and in health :)
  • faygerri
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet, but a change to eat healthier.

This is what I have to keep in mind. I'm sick of being 'on a diet'; I want to actually change my habits for the better. Thanks :)
  • faygerri
    Options
    So exercise is very important if your not very fit just do light moderate exercise. :)

I used to love step classes but I don't think I could manage it now! Any recommendations exercise-wise?
  • faygerri
    Options
    Hi mjackson, thanks for adding me :)

Katrina, my two are similar ages and I know exactly what you mean about finding time for exercise. It's difficult but I know I could find the time if I tried a bit harder. Me and willpower don't often occupy the same space!
  • faygerri
    Options
    So I encourage everyone to plan their meals out using the food tab and see how knowing what to eat before hand makes a huge difference. If you're already doing this great, let me know how this works for you and if anyone has other suggestions.

Thank for the tip :) I'm going to try and plan for a week for the family and then a day in advance for myself. It will be easier when I'm back at work!
  • faygerri
    Options
    Starting weight: 318
    Current weight: 188
    Goal weight: 162 - 167 lbs

Wow, that's incredible! Well done!
  • faygerri
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've lost and regained the equivalent of my current body weight, probably at least twice over in the past 26 years.

Yes, this exactly! I dread to even think how much I've put on/taken off, it'd make me cry! Thanks for the support and the add. Here's to good times ahead!
  • faygerri
    Options
    the act of logging everything helps me keep track of it and I find I'm eating less of the "bad" stuff and drinking more water - which is really helpful, of course.

I'm hoping that it'll be the same for me too. I'd love it if people started shouting at me if I hadn't logged in!
  • faygerri
    Options
    I want people to keep it going.... not fall off the wagon.... we're all here to cheer each other on and listen when someone's had a bad day; in sickness and in health :)

This is what I need :) Thanks for the advice.
  • Ambrosia29
    Ambrosia29 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm also on-and-off of the fitness bandwagon. Sometimes I just lose focus, or get frustrated or tired or something (last time it was 'pregnant') but I hop back on. Feel free to add me, I'm starting the 30DS and am looking for support too.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Maidenform.

They are da bomb.