at goal weight but still unhappy

Options
2»

Replies

• PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Recomp sounds so much better than losing weight IMHO. I will have to the same to stay in my fighting weight class while gaining muscle for strength. Skinnier isn't always better.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Recomposition is where you eat at maintenance, get 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM, and lift. It will very slowly add muscle while still losing some fat. You stay pretty much the same weight while lowering your body fat percentage. This is a good time to do it too because you should still be able to make some newbie gains.

It's a slow process, but it does work and it'll have the bonus of allowing you to adjust to your new body.

Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. Should I set my calories sedentary-maintain or lightly active-maintain? I lift 2-3 times a week ( stronglifts) and work at dunkin donuts 5 hours a day 5 days a week?

Probably lightly active minimum. You may still lose a pound or two or you may seem to put on 3-4 lbs at once. Either is normal. So just set yourself a maintenance range. Mine is 123-129 lbs. Anywhere in there was normal while eating at maintenance. If you see yourself creeping up (over a month or so), lower calories a bit. But don't sweat it if you see swings up or down based on salt, exercise, time of month, etc. If you continue to lose then gradually increase your calories until it stops. Maintenance can take a little trial and error.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Recomposition is where you eat at maintenance, get 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM, and lift. It will very slowly add muscle while still losing some fat. You stay pretty much the same weight while lowering your body fat percentage. This is a good time to do it too because you should still be able to make some newbie gains.

It's a slow process, but it does work and it'll have the bonus of allowing you to adjust to your new body.

that is what i did all of last year and it worked! yes it's a SLOW process but it does work! i loved the changes in my body composition after it. made visible changes in pictures even though i didn't see them myself in the beginning.. That is why pics are so important....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thx everyone, kinda sounds like ppl are saying it may never get flat :( Not really what I wanted to hear but oh well. Its not a mind thing though for those who had mentioned it. Maybe lipo will get rid of it and that will be the end of it.

Nope that isn't what people are saying at all...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

This link has a tonne of pics of a women who did a recomp and lifted as well...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thx everyone, kinda sounds like ppl are saying it may never get flat :( Not really what I wanted to hear but oh well. Its not a mind thing though for those who had mentioned it. Maybe lipo will get rid of it and that will be the end of it.

No one said that at all....
  • dwbotti
    dwbotti Posts: 29
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. I didn't look at the picture itself, but I know that I've got my own load of laundry on top of my washboard abs and it's because I cannot out work out a bad diet. Are you making the right strides to clean up your eating?
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing. I started working with a trainer for heavy lifting a couple of months ago. I've already seen some results, but he said that it could be the end of summer before I really see a transformation. So more patience is in order...
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't going to change the shape of your body, just the size.
    Start lifting, or lift more, or lift heavier weights. That's probably the only thing that is going to give you what you want at this point.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options

Your stomach will flatten out if you continue to lose more fat. I would continue on with your weight loss efforts. That is fat on your tummy and you can lose it.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I am going for the recomp too. Thought I would look as good at 47 as I did at 17 if I got to the same weight, but it doesn't work like that. I too hold onto fat In the belly area. I have resigned myself to 1-2 years work. 6 months in so far. On the plus side I love the lifting and have gotten so much stronger. Good luck. Maybe we should compare progress pics in 12 months time. Also glad to hear from some people who have leaned out by eating at maintenance and lifting. This is what I am doing for the next couple of months.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. I didn't look at the picture itself, but I know that I've got my own load of laundry on top of my washboard abs and it's because I cannot out work out a bad diet. Are you making the right strides to clean up your eating?

How does one clean up eating??? use soap and water instead of just water????
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options

How does one clean up eating??? use soap and water instead of just water????

How do people gain muscle in the kitchen? Are there weights in the kitchen that I don't know about?
    I feel like whoever said this didn't look a the picture D:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I reached 115 pounds which was my goal. ( I am 5'0) ao noe my qustion is should I continue on a deficit? I still don't like my body so I have started lifting and have been for about a.month and a half. What should I do I sTill.a.bit of fat on my belly ( underneath feels hard and strong)

You say you've just started lifting, so you should get some great results at deficit or maintainence. Once you've exhausted your 'newbie gains' maybe try a bulk/cut cycle or even just a bulk. Purposely putting on weight in a controlled manner (250 surplus) should help you 'strip bodyfat' (it's obviously not as simple as that (or even what it is!) but hopefully you know what I mean).

There is great info to be had from the 'women who bulk' group.
  • allopathicJ
    allopathicJ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Like most of the posts have alluded to, the best way to cut down on the little ab flab is primarily diet based. You have to change your diet up so you can burn the stomach fat. My advice is to try flexible dieting aka iifym. The simple concept is to eat enough protein, and tweak fats and carbs so you can induce a deficit (go on macrofit.com for more assistance or msg me). Combining a solid diet with a good lifting program such as Wendler's 531 or stronglifts 5x5, you'll see results. You don't need much cardio, its about just doing compound lifts that focus on your core and dieting right.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I reached 115 pounds which was my goal. ( I am 5'0) ao noe my qustion is should I continue on a deficit? I still don't like my body so I have started lifting and have been for about a.month and a half. What should I do I sTill.a.bit of fat on my belly ( underneath feels hard and strong)

You say you've just started lifting, so you should get some great results at deficit or maintainence. Once you've exhausted your 'newbie gains' maybe try a bulk/cut cycle or even just a bulk. Purposely putting on weight in a controlled manner (250 surplus) should help you 'strip bodyfat' (it's obviously not as simple as that (or even what it is!) but hopefully you know what I mean).

If I bulk I'll just gain more fat on my belly, right?
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm with most people here that suggest that you try eating at or a little above maintenance and lift.
    I've just hit maintenance and started incorporating less cardio, more weight based training and ended up about 5 pounds heavier than I thought I wanted to be and my clothes fit the same if not better...
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Yes. Although ideally most of your gain would be muscle.

But I don't think you're at a place where you should bulk yet. You just started lifting and you're still looking to shed some fat. Do that first. Cross the bulking bridge when you get to it.