I need to say this

Options
I started MFP almost a month ago. I weighed 385. No that's not a typo. I never realized how bad it was before. I ignored all scales. So I need to put this in writing. I am OBESE. I need a wake up call. I started out good. Then exercise slacked off. Still eating under calories, but without exercise I barely lose anything. I'm sitting at 371.4 right now and I want to LOSE WEIGHT. I'm a single mom. I have a 13 year old, 14 year old and 22 month old. I am tired all the time. I have a million things to do everyday and NO energy. Once I exercise I feel better, it's actually getting the dvd and starting. I need to do this. For my kids and for myself.

Replies

• mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    losing weight only starts with healthier eating... it needs to be coupled with exercise, and for real results, exercise every day...

its only a few hours out of your day but it will improve the rest of your life

now, take control and do it!
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!! Anything you need, your MFP friends will be there!! I can;t however babysit while you go to the gym, cause I don't do diapers until I have too!!
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Good For You!!!! You can do it!!! :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You have lost over 13 pounds in less than a month.

That is awesome!!!!

I know it is hard when you feel like you have a long way to go, but it's the starting that counts. (you hit the nail on the head with "get the DVD and start". It's not "just do it" that's super-powerful...it's "just start it."

Again, 13 pounds in under a month = awesome.:flowerforyou:
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Yep -- I agree with viviakay! Congratulations on losing 13 pounds in less than a month. That is outstanding. You can do this!! Just don't stress out too much about it.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Because you have already taken many baby steps to get started. Getting the scale is a big step! Getting on it is another! Truly! You CAN do this. You MUST do this. We're here for you. :flowerforyou:
  • jmorgangms
    Options
    It is hard....but you have already lost! Just keep getting up and keep pressing play every day! FOR YOUR KIDS!!! You can do this!!!
  • christinehay78
    christinehay78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this! We're all here for you!!!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Good for you girlfriend! Get it all out! Honesty is the first step and you are there! I have 5 kids so I know all about being busy. I also just finished Grad school 2 weeks ago. My kids are 8, 8, 5, 2 and 5 months. I would love to be your friend and support you and we can share "mom tips" on how to manage eating healthy and getting in that exercise. You can do this!!! Remember that no matter how much or how little you want to lose- we all have our struggles so you are not alone in this! You've come to the right place for support and I look forward to you posting your success stories when you reach your goals- no matter how big or small they may be!
  • bri1720
    bri1720 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Keep going!!!! This is for your children AND for you!!!! The support on MFP is amazing!!!!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of friends here who will help.
    You can add me as a friend for motivation.
    You have already started the process, good
    for u!! Take the time for yourself because
    you are worth it. :flowerforyou:
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I will echo what others have already said: 13 pounds in one month (without exercise!!) is AMAZING. Great Job! One step at a time gets the job done :flowerforyou:
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    First of all: CONGRATULATIONS on 13lbs lost in a month! That's a huge step! :)

I know I'm not the only one proud of you for taking charge of your health and doing something about it. You're strong, and you're brave, and best of all: You're GOING to do this!! :) We are all here to help. MFP is a tremendous support system, take advantage of us!

One of your biggest motivators is going to be your children. You'd do anything for your kids, correct? Set aside time every day for your workout, and when you try to back down, think about your 22 month old's future wedding. You want to be there, I'm sure.

Even just 30 minutes a day will pay off in the long run. The more often you exercise, the more overall energy you'll have. Make a list of alllllllll of the benefits, and WHY you want to do this. When you feel discouraged, read your list and reorient yourself.

Good luck! :)
  • pinksgirlfriend
    pinksgirlfriend Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hi and welcome to my fitness! i was starting out at 358... 4 months later im at 329! its slow going... do not get discouraged. you are just like me- a far cry from our goal. its ok! it took forever to put it all on , its going to take a few good years to get it off! honestly i have made some food intake changes, not a diet. i only eat egg whites now, no soda ( ever) i use sweetener , not sugar when possible. i still eat desserts( sometimes) if it fits into my calories. its really just lifestyle change, and it becomes no big deal. i go to the gym 4-5 times a week for a hour also. i have a long way to go but i quit smoking this year and have just been focused on being a healthier me, for my self, my man and my children. i want to live this life as long as i can , thats what keeps me motivated. good luck !
  • NikkiLynn76
    Options
    I seriously appreciate everyone's responses. I am sitting here in tears. I have started the battle. And it will be a battle, but one that is very worth it. The little girl leaning against me is only 1/3 of why. I have not admitted my weight to anyone before this post. It's nice to feel like I have a safe environment here.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    you CAN do it! Take your success and multiply it. eat as cleanly as possible, and stick to your exercise, also if you are able get in a little yoga or silent meditation, even if its just 5 mins a day, it can make all the difference in the world :)
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    Admitting where you let yourself get to is the hardest and most important step.
    My highest weight was over 320, and I remember the day I saw 320 on the scale.
    It was so scary and so sad. But at that moment a lightbulb went on and my life changed.
    It took me a few years to lose 150 pounds, and I still want to lose more- but what I've gained is my life.
    You can do it.
    Just one day at a time.
    Don't be unrealistic with yourself, but stay accountable to yourself!

Good for you for taking this step!
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yep -- I agree with viviakay! Congratulations on losing 13 pounds in less than a month. That is outstanding. You can do this!! Just don't stress out too much about it.

I'm with the general consensus here: 13 pounds in less than a month is a tremendous achievement. DO NOT STOP! Continue making healthy eating choices and remember the positive feeling that exercise gives you. You can do it!
  • sedric
    sedric Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Try to make exercise fun and not a chore that you dread. Even if you just put on some music and dance your you know what off! I'm pretty sure your 22 month old will join in with you:happy:
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you for doing this! Just remember that this is a lifelong change, not a "diet" that will end when you reach your goal weight. If that's your attitude toward it, you will just gain all the weight back.

You have lost 13 pounds in a month and you are frustrated?! That is a lot!! It's hard to watch shows like Biggest Loser and then be excited about that, but that is not real life. They are working out for 8-10 hours per day! Just to put it in perspective for you, I have been on here about 3 months and I've lost 13 pounds. :) Set small goals and celebrate your victories. When you hit 15 or 20 pounds, do something special for yourself.

Feel free to add me as a friend. We all have different amounts to lose here but we are walking this journey together. That is what is so cool about MFP.

Melinda