What to eat when travelling and away from home?

Options
logg1e
logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
Any tips for what to eat when travelling and away from home?
I often travel for work, and in these early days so far I have researched and planned my meals whilst away. The downside is that this isn't always possible and is time consuming.

So, I'm after food which is easy (and not anti-social) to eat on trains and also to store and eat in hotel rooms.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Carry a cooler for things like water, yogurt, sandwiches, and cheese blocks. A back pack is good for dry snacks like low-sodium nuts, trail mix, low sodium pretzels, and popcorn etc.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I did a lot of travelling I would buy snacks like yogurt, fruit, veggie trays etc for the hotel room. To eat on trains wraps etc.

I would often eat cereal fruit and yogurt for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch with a salad and then eat my dinner in a resturant.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the quick responses, I should already say that space is at a premium. I tend to already have a suitcase, laptop case and sometimes a suit carrying thing too. Unfortunately a back-pack isn't suitable for work if I'm with clients.

I've got some zip-lock bags and disposable cutlery for when I need to jetison items. I'll try some of the ideas above for convenience food too.
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    For lunches: I like to bring veggies with dips (guacamole, hummus, eggplant dip). Hard-boiled eggs, roasted chicken.

Breakfasts: greek yogurts, fruits, nuts. Oatmeal I pre-portion and add some delicious spices or nuts or dried fruit to so it's quick to make in a hotel microwave or with hot water from the coffee maker.

Snacks: nuts, fruits, dried fruits, rice crackers with a bit of cheese.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I research where I'm going to be staying and locate relatively close food stores which I can walk to and where I can buy fruit and make my own sandwiches, salads etc. I screen print the maps on my phone so I can walk there without getting lost or paying a fortune for internet when overseas.

Depends where you're going as well. I buy my own fruit etc in Europe and eat very mindfully, but in Asia most of the food is primarily vegetables and lean protein so I don't really worry about what I eat. In the US, I skip hotel breakfast and have my own fruit plus a low-cal granola bar.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I generally eat in restaurants, and usually not quite as healthy as I'd eat were I at home...but still logging and making good decisions. I make a point of getting in loads of walking as well, and drink tons of water.

Honestly for me the whole "storing things in a hotel room" hasn't happened. When I travel for business I take advantage of paid meals and when traveling for pleasure I delight in finding new little cafes, diners, and ethnic spots.

If I'm severely limited to chains I'll just grab a plain hamburger, Wendy's chili or potato...or some sort of burrito bowl/salad thing...or hit up a supermarket for basic foods like cheese & fruit. Sorry this doesn't help a ton.

ETA: I don't like to eat a lot of prepared, packaged "meal bars" etc but for trips my husband and I often pack a few of those (different varieties) for times that we're on the road. That may be an option for you too. Some of the ones we like are Atkins, Designer Whey, and any variation on Clif including the Kids Z bars.