50 down and stalled.... Need advice.

Options
This is my first time to post here. I started out at 308 lbs on a 5'9'' frame in January, 2012. I'd been athletic all my life, done a stint in the navy after college, but then the weight piled on over the following decade. I'd always "carried it well", so most folks thought I was around 260 lbs or so. That was my rationale for never doing anything about it.

Concern from my wife, along with a weight loss challenge at work (the prize for which was a buffet dinner at a Brazilian Steakhouse - ironic), pushed me toward a lifestyle change. As you all know, it's 95% what you eat. I went high protein, low carb. Chicken, yogurt, salad, broccoli, more chicken. I cut out diet drinks and alcohol. I started working out with a trainer, as well as running. By July I was down 60 lbs. I was running longer distances -15-20 miles per week. I won the weight loss competition (and never claimed the prize).

But then I stalled. I'd wanted to lose 100 lbs. I kept up the exercise, completing my first half marathon in Dec 2012. Since then I've started doing crossfit and the running has continued (completed my second half marathon in 3/2014, shaving off 59 seconds per mile from my pace compared to my first one). But I'm not happy at this weight. I'm still carrying around extra 50 lbs I shouldn't be carrying. I've been able to maintain this weight for a year and a half (+/- 10 lbs), which is good. I'm at about 260 lbs today.

But it's as if my motivation is gone. My self control when it comes to food (especially sweets) is non-existent now. I'd learned mind over matter during the initial losing phase - the brief reward of eating a cookie (or 5) is not consistent with my goals and the sugar rush is not worth it.

Anyone have a similar experience? How did you get back on the wagon? It's like my subconscious is happy resting on my laurels, despite the fact my conscious self wants to keep losing.

Thanks for your thoughts.

OAR

Replies

• svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hey OAR, First let me applaud you on your 50 lb loss. That is not easy and ever more impressive to me is the distances you are running. That is very impressive. I just ran my second 5 K back in February and I am excited to start adding longer distances to my runs. Have you tried changing up your workouts. I know you said you do crossfit. How often do you go? Muscle confusion is very helpful when you platue. Also what is your calorie goal? Have you changed it since you stopped losing? What about your macro goals? Also are you eating clean foods? The preservatives, additives, and sodium in processed food can hinder weight loss efforts. Would love to help you if you can give me some more information.
  • oliverar
    oliverar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Lately a lot of crap food has snuck into the diet- in line with the lack of motivation/self control I mentioned. Lately I've been going to crossfit 3-4 times per week. It seems tove pretty good about mixing up the workouts to shock the body a little.

My calorie goal has been 1,200. When I was losing weight aggressively I normally finished the day with a total of 1,200- 1,500 calories consumed. My goal lately has been 1,200 net calories. But I just haven't been sticking to it. Complete food failure. So to be clear, this isn't a plateau in terms of doing the same thing and not losing. This is a self-induced plateau from lack of self control and motivation.

Thanks,
    Oliver
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Maybe take a look at how far you've come and see if it helps? This happened to me and I gained it all back (tho I had only lost 15) but starting over has got to be 10x harder than when I started initially. I stopped working out and was eating a ton of fast food. Best thing is to look at why you're doing it and force yourself to control your portions rather than what you eat, at least at first?
  • applecheeksaz
    applecheeksaz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain I want to lose another 50 and my mind has just stalled????? I lost 45 pounds so far gained 15 back now back down to the 45 gone I have been stalled for 2 years But at least I'm back down to the original 45 down. But my head is stuck just like yours I wish I had the answer if i did I would be a millionaire lol. All I can say is stay focused so you don't gain the weight back and Keep at it. I Know that is not very helpful but just hang in there :)
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try Upping your calorie intake. Men can cause damage to their metabolism if they drop below 1600 calories. 1200 is the lower amount that a woman should eat. I was eating 1200 calories for 5 months and then I switched my workout program to P90X3 which is pretty intense. My body went into starvation mode and I was actually gaining weight. Your metabolism slows and your body holds onto everything it can to fuel itself. Try Calculating your Base Metabolic Rate. This will give you the minimum amount of calories that your body requires just to live without any activity. Here is a link to help you figure out where you should be. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator I would guess with your size and level of activity you would be closer to 2000 calories a day. I know that sounds like a lot and I struggled with the idea when I stopped making progress. I upped my calorie intake from 1200 to 1500 calories and after a couple weeks the scale started moving again. It might also help with your will power since you will eating more food and have more options. The combination of variety and fullness should make it easier to pass of the foods that are hurting your diet. Hope that helps. Feel free to add me as a friend for added support and encouragement. If you have any other questions you can message me.
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi guy. First off, kudos to your loss so far. Now as to your dilemma you don't have your diary public, that would help a lot if it were. If you're doing crossfit and only eating 1200-1500 cals a day you are really working against yourself.

My gut feeling is that by getting yourself on track with a daily deficit of only 1k cals per day (assuming a 2 lb /week weight loss goal) and by getting accurate portion control entries in your diary that you'll start seeing progress again. Add some friends that can mentor your through the rough spots and help with advice. This works best when your friends can see your daily entries.
  • oliverar
    oliverar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. Ok - Made my diary public. I agree that if I can get control of calories I'll be on the road to losses again. But that's been the problem. Mental fortitude hasn't been there. I'll see if I can get my head back in the game and make some more progress. Thanks.