Eating 1200 weekdays and binge on weekends?

Options
Hello so I'm going to do a little math lol in order to maintain my weight I need 1600 calories daily (according to websites) that would be 11200 calories. If I ate 1200 calories Monday thru Friday and ate 2600 on Saturday and Sunday could that work as well?

Replies

• italiangirlinva
    italiangirlinva Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The real question is why do you want to binge on weekends? Or at all? This could be a sign of a food addiction. Check out www.oa.org.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I know a girl on here who would "save" her calories for the weekends as well. It worked for her. I've never tried cuz I couldn't eat that little during the week, I would go nuts. But do what works for you
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories and no binges at all
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    Eat the 1600 calories.

If you want to eat more, work out more.

One big meal isn't going to make you fat just like one salad isn't going to make you skinny.

It's consistency in eating that makes us gain or lose.
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    This is what I am doing right now to maintain. I am eating fewer calories during the week and enjoy more treats on the weekends. It has worked for me for maintaining. Good luck :happy:
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think one of the biggest disadvantages to how this site is set up is that it really forces you to focus on the daily, instead of the overall. It took me a while to not get so hung up on going over a few days because I went out for beers or whatever, even if I was under the the overall week. I would suggest trying to bank your EXERCISE calories (that is, still eat 1600 cal/day, work out, and don't eat those calories back, so that when Friday rolls around, you may have been netting 1300 calories per day) rather than trying to just keep the calories low by not eating. The progress report will look the same as if you just ate less, but you'll be getting in exercise as well as not necessarily being hungry all the time (of course, if working out makes you more hungry, you still might get grumpy).
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I find the phone app is better for getting your weeklies because if you look at your nutrition report for the week it gives you an average and it also tells you how many calories you have left for the week. That makes it easier to see where you are with all the daily fluctuations.

I don't think binging is ever good. I don't have any problem with eating more some days than others. Just saying.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I think there's a difference between a planned weekend caloric surplus and a binge. I would consider a binge to be more eating uncontrollably, until your stomach hurts.
  • McKenzieLeigh
    McKenzieLeigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think that is how I will maintain. I am still early in the journey, but as of now I find it so easy to stay within my limits during the week with planned snacks at my desk, but at home around my family on the weekends is much harder. I never know when we will go out to eat, etc. I have found things at restaurants that we like to frequent that still fit in my calories most days, but I still struggle. I have found it is easy for me to maintain that way, but it is keeping me from losing now so I have to be more diligent!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Is 2600 really a "binge"? I ate 3k during a holiday and felt fine. I think the term "binge" is eating out of control, stuffing your face until you're sick not just snarfing a few extra calories during a short time period. Now if you said 5k-10k I'd look into getting help ASAP!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Technically, a binge is 10,000-20,000 calories eaten in a single day.

Let's not do that, mmkay?
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Though I eat 1400 during the week and not 1200 , I have been doing that for a year now, works perfect to maintain. My goal has been set for 1730/day This way I can drink a couple glasses of wine and do the Sunday family dinner without problems.
  • Atishi87
    Atishi87 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    For all the people saying that binging is bad etc., OP is talking about 2600 calories on weekends! That's hardly considered binging. I usually keep my calorie intake around 1500 throughout the week and eat homecooked food. On weekends I like to go out to eat at my favorite restaurants and that easily adds upto 2000-3000 calories on Saturdays and Sundays. I consistently do this and I am at a very healthy weight and my performance in the gym is at an all time high. Also, I feel happy and satiated all the time. OP you can totally do that, but make sure you are not starving during the weekdays!
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I think one of the biggest disadvantages to how this site is set up is that it really forces you to focus on the daily, instead of the overall. It took me a while to not get so hung up on going over a few days because I went out for beers or whatever, even if I was under the the overall week. I would suggest trying to bank your EXERCISE calories (that is, still eat 1600 cal/day, work out, and don't eat those calories back, so that when Friday rolls around, you may have been netting 1300 calories per day) rather than trying to just keep the calories low by not eating. The progress report will look the same as if you just ate less, but you'll be getting in exercise as well as not necessarily being hungry all the time (of course, if working out makes you more hungry, you still might get grumpy).

This this THIS. Pick a moderate calorie goal you can meet every day without making yourself crazy, something nice and stable and sustainable, and if you want to bank extra calories to go nuts on the weekend, bank it in exercise. Like, seriously, I can't recommend it enough. An eating plan that swings around that much will make maintenance SO hard, and no one wants to gain everything plus more back.

I mean, ultimately, if it works for you it works for you, but that sounds like it's indicative of a really unhealthy relationship with food, and that'll make your life so much harder in the long run.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

That sounds good!
  • SalemBoSox88
    Options
    I would say why weekends? I mean we are all human and need to enjoy ourselves. If you have a day you blow some calories who cares. I mean life is one day at a time and we have to enjoy it. All of us know how hard it was to get where we are and will do anything to stop from getting back.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options

One big meal isn't going to make you fat just like one salad isn't going to make you skinny.

If we had siggies, I would steal this. I love it!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question on the forum long ago. My question was: how many calories am I allowed to eat on certain events in order to not gain weight, considering that I'm still having a certain deficit during the other week days?

First of all you must be sure of your TDEE - what's your height and weight at the moment, and what's your activity level?
    Once you're accurately determined your TDEE you will exactly know how many calories you are allowed to eat daily in order to maintain your weight. I've personally found I can still lose weight on the recommended amount of calories - so it's not that easy to find your true TDEE without adjusting your calories while on manteinance.

Anyway, if your TDEE is 1600 and you're eating 1200 lets say 6 days out of 7, you're getting a 400 kcals deficit per day - 2400 kcals deficit/week.
    You are theoretically allowed to eat 2400+1600 on the 7th day to erase your weekly deficit and mantain your weight (that would be 4000 kcals).
    If you ate more than that, you'd gain weight instead of mantaining.

I am saying this is just theoretical because your body doesn't restart after 1 week - it's more of a continuous process. At least that's how I've been explained on the forum. This means that you might see a gain or a loss after overeating depending on several factors - dehydration, water retention, sodium intake and so on.

I have personally found that overeating for a single day didn't kill my progresses, but it's easier to keep in control while eating a reasonable amount of food throughout the whole week instead of purposely undereating during the week and allowing myself to literally splurge during the weekend. I now use this concept to allow myself to eat out with my family or friends at times, but I try not to abuse of what I've learnt. Balance is the most effective way to see progresses on a long term.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

While a binge can be that high, medically, there is no caloric definition for a binge. Binge eating is determined by behavioral and emotional symptoms, not the amount of calories consumed. For some individuals with disordered eating 2600 calories could bea binge.

But, I think we can definitely agree that what the OP is talking about is not binge eating.
  • mrsdwp
    mrsdwp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do this. I eat 1400 during the week and around 2000 on the weekends, and I've maintained for 3 months.