Just not "into" food…

Options
Hi There,
Maybe you can relate to this or have some friends who can relate. My friend and I were talking the other day about just our daily eating habits and I quote…

"I'm just not that into food!"

That is exactly what my friend said, and it is true. She eats, but she really could care less when or what she eats. She is NATURALLY a size 2/6 depending on the store. She has had three kids and is just naturally thin. I wish I was not "into food." I plan my day around food.

Is anyone like me or like my friend? How do I make day not about food?
Haha!

Replies

• Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm like your friend, I'm just not that into food. ...and it drives my husband NUTS. I could eat the same thing every day. For the past two months I've basically had the same breakfast & lunch every day. If I get busy, I could skip a meal. I mean, if it's 3 o'clock and I haven't had lunch, what am I gonna do? Dinner is at six. At that point, I may as well just wait for dinner. I've come home from a late outing and even though haven't eaten since midday, I would rather go to bed than take any effort to fix food.

As I say, this makes my husband crazy. He is all about eating a different animal practically every night of the week. "Chicken? We had chicken last night. What else is there?" LOL It also means that if we go out to eat, I can suggest three places and he wants to know where else we could eat. Ugh. Sometimes it's just too much to negotiate. Then he gets frustrated with me for not caring about food and I get frustrated with him about not knowing what he wants to eat. It's our own little hamster wheel, I suppose.

Sorry I can't offer you suggestions on how not to make your day about food, but I do see how my food indifference vexes my husband sometimes.

You know that saying "Ride to Live, Live to Ride"? Some of us are on the "Eat to Live" and others (like hubby) are "Live to Eat". Just different strokes, imo.
  • reshaping_life
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! That is so interesting to me that our mindsets can be so different! I appreciate you taking the time to type that out :)
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    :smile: Sure thing. And great question.
  • runitskat
    runitskat Posts: 30
    Options
    I don't care about food either. Everyone hates asking me where we should eat since my answer is always "I don't care" I am literally fine eating whatever. I always joke that if I lived alone I'd starve to death since I'd forget to eat.

Thinking about it just now, the only food I'm into is candy. That is my down fall. Everything else is just meh.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I'm with you, OP - I luuuuuuuuuuuuuurve food!!!
  • EliTheRev
    EliTheRev Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In a few weeks I will be switching completely to Soylent (soylent.me) and I can't wait. I am so done with food. I've never been a fan of it and over the years it just gets more toxic and more unappealing. I eat because I have to, not because I want to ... the rare times there is something I am really craving, I enjoy it ... but the day to day eating ... boring, unappealing, and these days everything is dipped in, grown in, sprayed with god knows what. Soylent will allow me to eat only when I want to eat but still be able to get my daily intake of protein, fats, and nutrients. It's going to be a real lifesaver ...
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I WISH I wasn't into food. I LOOOOOVVVVE food and like you, often plan my day around it. But, I've lost 45lbs still loving food. I just eat less of it. :bigsmile:

I can say that I've learned to not comfort myselft with it as much....still working on it, not perfect, but better.

I have heard that hypnosis works for this, similar to those that use hypnosis to quit smoking. Not sure if I'd ever try that, but I hear ya and don't really understand how we can all view it so differently. LOL.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm torn, on one hand I wish I wasn't so "into" food, but on the other hand the idea of not being a foodie and not enjoying the tastes and textures that I eat, is horrible to me lol. I love food, it's more of a matter of just controlling how much I enjoy it. :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I LOVE food.. I love how it tastes, I love how it smells, and I care how it looks. One of my absolute joys is browsing around for something new and exciting to eat. Heck, I even dream about food sometimes. Lucky for me is I'm into food in general, I would equally enjoy a rustic pizza and an interesting grilled vegetable medley.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I thought I was not "into" food because I never feel all those sensations a true foodie has told me ...but I am a big eater and I tend to over eat hence...I am big all my life.
  • Ashaleet
    Ashaleet Posts: 59
    Options
    "Just not that into food"...
    That is what I like to call something a skinny b**** would say.
    LOL just kidding. No but really I love food omg I have a co-worker who is the same way as your friend. Totally not a foodie. Her idea of a "huge" lunch is eating a bowl of cherry tomatoes. I just don't get it. I made everyone in the office taco soup on Friday, and you should have seen her bowl. She literally just took one of those little round dishes you use for dipping sauce or a small souflee you know? Filled that with soup and was like er mer gerd i'm so full.

She pisses me off.
    lol.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I manage to think of food as fuel. Just like putting gas in my car, I need to fuel my body. That said, it does need to have a great taste, texture and be satisfying.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It could be that your friend is a super taster! Remember how hard it was to try and enjoy new things when we were kids? Some people have a higher number of taste buds than others, and taste remains super intense and overwhelming all their lives. Often these folks stick to a couple of foods, or just never develop much of an interest. You never know!

Personally, I love food. Oh my GOD do I love food. It is the best thing. I'd sooner be chubby than never really enjoy a meal again. Food is fuel, sure, but it's an art and a joy and one of the best things about a beautiful summer night with friends - fresh pasta, good wine, gorgeous dessert, aah. Food is the best.
  • ShaunaN5
    ShaunaN5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love food!!! Hence, the reason I got in to the situation I am trying to get out of now. :ohwell: So now I do plan my days around food. I eat way more than I ever did before but it's all healthy instead of just empty calories!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I manage to think of food as fuel. Just like putting gas in my car, I need to fuel my body. That said, it does need to have a great taste, texture and be satisfying.

yes to me food is like fuel. I learned only eating when I am hungry so taste becomes secondary. I can eat a bag of baby carrots with no dressing. LOL
  • dottyb1tchmouse
    dottyb1tchmouse Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this. I always find it weird when people say they forget to eat, etc because I'm really into cooking and cuisine so planning meals is something I enjoy doing every day.

I wish I could forget to be hungry!
  • yallllah
    yallllah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have the (rare?) experience of having experienced both of these phenomenons.

After college I moved home because I had no job -- I graduated a semester early accidentally and had nothing lined up (long story). I got small jobs as an editor, did work around the city, and did an internship...but all of it was self-directed. I didn't have to wake up, go to work, plug in hours, come home. Because I made my own schedule, I found myself naturally eating less. It used to be that my meals were my "breaks" that I looked forward to the whole day, whether at high school or at college...but when I worked for myself and from home, I knew I could eat whatever whenever, and food FINALLY was disassociated from pleasure/relaxation in my mind.

I went from 135lbs to 125lbs in around half a year without even realizing it. The 10lbs I'd struggled with for more than a decade. (UGH. Jealous of myself, right now.) Later I lost another 10lbs, but that was TB drugs and a kidney infection, neither of which I can recommend for weightloss, lol.

BUT.

Now I'm completely the opposite. Mostly it's because I live in a rural location with nothing to do, no one I know, and an unfulfilling job, but I plan my days around my breaks and food. It's totally a mental thing: I'm bored and have a schedule and set times to eat every day, so I never miss a meal (even if I'm not hungry), and I spend time looking forward to it, because food = relaxing.

I was much happier when I didn't think of food as much. It takes up way too much mental power. During my "food is blah" period, I did enjoy food, but only AMAZING food. Quality became a lot more important, for whatever reason.

I'm trying to get back into that more healthy, natural mindset, but it's kind of like "don't think about elephants...."
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    Considering that some foods are actually addictive, such as sugar and gluten, perhaps those folks who aren't "into" food simply lack sensitivity or quantity when it comes to certain receptors in the brain.

On the other hand, I personally think that some of it is mind over matter. I rarely eat sweets because I have myself convinced that I don't really care about them. But if something is sitting on a plate right in front of me, I will enjoy every bite. When sweet cravings do arise, most of the time I just talk myself out of them which keeps the addiction of sugar off of my plate.

Then you have a whole other group of people who may have food intolerances and just don't realize it. They could be eating simple diets simply because they are only eating foods that don't disagree with them, but not even realize that they are avoiding certain food groups.

The super taster's theory does hold some weight, though studies have shown that these people also have the potential to become super foodies - relishing all of the different flavors that are available where they avoided the unfamiliar as children.

Then you have to consider sense of smell. Plenty of people who have suffered some sort of brain injury can't smell anything at all, therefore also lose much of their sense of taste, while others may simply not have a very good sense of smell.