I'm losing my mind!!

Options
Ok, I have been doing crossfit type training for the last 5 weeks, going on 6, at least 3 days a week and I have hardly lost ANY weight. I am at about 5 lbs lost, and 5 lbs of muscle gained. I am a pretty heavy gal too lol. I am getting frustrated to the point of quitting. My trainer told me because of my size, I would lose 30 lbs the first month. Yep, month has came and gone and here I am, hungry and mad! I am honestly eating very clean. Very little fat, pretty much no carbs as well. As a nurse, I had all my labs done prior to diet. Thyroid was fine. I have never had any major health issues, etc. I don't know what I could be doing wrong! And to top it all off, for the last week my shins, ankles, and feet have been swelling. Like pitting edema. I have never ever had this happen before. Any idea what I am doing wrong?? thank you in advance for what I hope are kind, and helpful responses lol

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I honestly doubt you've gained 5 pounds of muscle in just over a month. Gaining muscle isn't as easy as all that. Are you counting calories and coming I at a deficit. Weighing/measuring all your food and tracking accurately. You can't out train a bad diet. You can over eat even the "healthiest, cleanest" foods. There's also no reason to severely restrict fat and carbs, really.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Looks like you were sold a bunch of bull to sign up for that training session.. 30 lbs the first month hey... Does that come with a refund?

Doubt you gained any muscle, sounds like your not eating.. fat/carbs make no difference.. buy a food scale and start eating correctly for your activity.. Do a search here for TDEE and read about that and figure out a calorie number.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Also you can't gain muscle whist dieting - that's pretty much my entire struggle with weight loss.

I have lost 5 stone - and now I'm trying to put weight back as muscle (muscle weights too you know!)

I think what might be part of your issue is portion sizing. I know that we think clean eating is everything but I can't stress enough how important it is to have a kitchen scale and weight what you're eating. It has helped me a LOT and it has also helped me understand my portion control.

My flatmate is naturally skinny, can eat a house and not put on weight. He made pasta bake recently - a whole tray and he ate it all. Not putting a single pound on - the next day I made pasta and showed him what a portion looks like. He said "OMG! My bake had like 3 times that!"

Yeah - what I mean is. Most of us have no idea of what a portion really looks like :s
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging religiously? Everything that passes your mouth? If so open your dairy in settings and we may be able to help you.
  • karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You need to be at a calorie deficient to lose weight.

Buy a digital food scale and weigh everything that you eat, log it all on MFP and net the macros that MFP gives you.

You can work out until you puke, but if you're going over your macros, then you're wasting your time.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain muscle. Women who are trying to build muscle cannot gain that kind of muscles. You probably have water retention going on, IF you are eating at a calorie deficit. Healthy weight loss should be in the 1-2 pounds a week range. For someone to tell you that you will lose 30 pounds in a month is ludicrous.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Low fat + low carb means that what little you are eating is protein and it sounds like you have edema, so you probably aren't getting enough of that.

Go see a doctor about the swelling, because that can be serious.

And read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have been doing crossfit type training for the last 5 weeks, going on 6, at least 3 days a week and I have hardly lost ANY weight. I am at about 5 lbs lost, and 5 lbs of muscle gained. I am a pretty heavy gal too lol. I am getting frustrated to the point of quitting. My trainer told me because of my size, I would lose 30 lbs the first month. Yep, month has came and gone and here I am, hungry and mad! I am honestly eating very clean. Very little fat, pretty much no carbs as well. As a nurse, I had all my labs done prior to diet. Thyroid was fine. I have never had any major health issues, etc. I don't know what I could be doing wrong! And to top it all off, for the last week my shins, ankles, and feet have been swelling. Like pitting edema. I have never ever had this happen before. Any idea what I am doing wrong?? thank you in advance for what I hope are kind, and helpful responses lol
    you didn't gain 5lb of muscle in 5 weeks, sorry. And I'm guessing you are eating at maintenance not at a deficit.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging religiously? Everything that passes your mouth? If so open your dairy in settings and we may be able to help you.

yeah.
    also... YOU be piglet?? ME be piglet too!!!! :happy:
  • emmasmommy1
    Options
    I am counting, and weighing my food. I am eating 1000 calories daily.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Please eat more ....1000 calories is not enough
  • emmasmommy1
    Options
    The trainer is using the same scale, and weighing and measuring me each week. It shows that I did gain 5 lbs of muscle. Maybe I am just uneducated on muscle gain I guess.
  • emmasmommy1
    Options
    There have been several other people with the same results. I figured a lot of it was the diet. I am eating 1000 cals a day. A lady I know followed the same plan and worked out with her and lost 29 pounds her first 28 days
  • mebepiglet123
    Options
    Please do some research on my fitness pal on eating low low calorie diet.... This is why you are not losing.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The trainer is using the same scale, and weighing and measuring me each week. It shows that I did gain 5 lbs of muscle. Maybe I am just uneducated on muscle gain I guess.

No you didn't. You probably lost weight. It sounds like you have edema which is balancing out your loss. And you've probably lost muscle on 1000 calories a day for 30 days (unless you binged a couple times, which I'm kind of hoping that you did).

Quit your trainer and get yourself on a sensible diet and start a beginner lifting program like New Rules of Lifting or Stronglifts 5X5.
  • mebepiglet123
    Options
    There have been several other people with the same results. I figured a lot of it was the diet. I am eating 1000 cals a day. A lady I know followed the same plan and worked out with her and lost 29 pounds her first 28 days

Did she keep it off and if so does she still live on 1000 cals a day...no way to live.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am counting, and weighing my food. I am eating 1000 calories daily.

WHY? Oh, why?

Set MFP to lose 2 pounds per week. How many does it tell you to eat? Eat a little more when you exercise.
  • emmasmommy1
    Options
    Was this meant to be rude? Because I surely was not rude when I asked. I actually use a written journal, per my trainers request.
  • emmasmommy1
    Options
    The plan I am on actually is only 800 cals a day but I thought that was a little low
  • mebepiglet123
    Options
    No trainer should have you on a 1000 calorie diet.. Did your trainer suggest that if so fire that trainers *kitten* immediately. You are chucking away good money.